Jump to content
RWBadley

Anybody try Little Book chapter 4?

Recommended Posts

RWBadley

I saw this down at a local.

 

I haven't seen much about it, a couple reviews online seem to think it's pretty good. It contains some young brown rice whisky, some high rye af 5-6 years old and some straight bourbon at 7 years. 

 

Seems interesting but it is over the 100$ price point. 

 

Cheers,

 

RW

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
JoeTerp

I haven't seen too much about this one.  I really loved LB3 last year but that was a more normal blend of high aged high proof products.  The young Brown Rice bourbon was an odd choice.  Hopefully it's good, but I really didn't care too much for LB1 or LB2.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
geclbxf
11 hours ago, JoeTerp said:

I haven't seen too much about this one.  I really loved LB3 last year but that was a more normal blend of high aged high proof products.  The young Brown Rice bourbon was an odd choice.  Hopefully it's good, but I really didn't care too much for LB1 or LB2.

I am in the same camp.   Loved 3 - was one of the better bourbons I had last year.    The blend for 4 is just out there.  Going to go the bar pour route first.

  • I like it 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Marekv8

It's very rye forward, yet with a distinctive Beam note running through it. Took quite a bit of water and time to show itself, but the folks that I've brought samples to have been pleasantly surprised. I still have an open Chapter 2 that I need to pit it against. Prices have ranged from $75 to $90.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Bob_Loblaw
38 minutes ago, Marekv8 said:

It's very rye forward, yet with a distinctive Beam note running through it. Took quite a bit of water and time to show itself, but the folks that I've brought samples to have been pleasantly surprised. I still have an open Chapter 2 that I need to pit it against. Prices have ranged from $75 to $90.

Thanks for the notes. I would absolutely buy at $75. Unfortunately it’s $130-140 around here which makes it an easy pass this year. 
 

To add onto what others have said LB3 was incredible and this summer I went out and secured a few extras. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
tanstaafl2
11 hours ago, Marekv8 said:

It's very rye forward, yet with a distinctive Beam note running through it. Took quite a bit of water and time to show itself, but the folks that I've brought samples to have been pleasantly surprised. I still have an open Chapter 2 that I need to pit it against. Prices have ranged from $75 to $90.


I tried it (and bought one) a couple of days ago. Solid bourbon with definite rye influence as Dave notes although for me I didn’t find that much water was needed. Maybe a drop or two to see how it impacted the flavor. At $75-80 it’s a decent buy. At $120-130 I am ok with just one. It is a 7yo standard Beam (I would guess) and an 8yo “high rye” rye whiskey (or so I read somewhere which suggests it is not just older Overholt) so perhaps not a standard Beam rye. 
 

I don’t find it as interesting as the past two releases as best I remember. Clearly a side by side by side is in order!

 

 

863F638F-3DDF-4AE3-8443-4B99AAACBC5A.jpeg

FDCC6E88-1BE8-4ADF-A267-14D913ED0312.jpeg

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
flahute

Sounds like a solid pass for me since I don't like Beam at anything sub 9 years old.

Baker's used to be amazing at 7 yrs old but that's all shot to hell with the single barrel variation.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
BigRich
19 hours ago, tanstaafl2 said:


I tried it (and bought one) a couple of days ago. Solid bourbon with definite rye influence as Dave notes although for me I didn’t find that much water was needed. Maybe a drop or two to see how it impacted the flavor. At $75-80 it’s a decent buy. At $120-130 I am ok with just one. It is a 7yo standard Beam (I would guess) and an 8yo “high rye” rye whiskey (or so I read somewhere which suggests it is not just older Overholt) so perhaps not a standard Beam rye. 
 

I don’t find it as interesting as the past two releases as best I remember. Clearly a side by side by side is in order!

 

 

863F638F-3DDF-4AE3-8443-4B99AAACBC5A.jpeg

FDCC6E88-1BE8-4ADF-A267-14D913ED0312.jpeg

I was reading something somewhere else (that now I can't find to link) that the rye was actually the recipe they used for Booker's Rye. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
tanstaafl2
3 hours ago, BigRich said:

I was reading something somewhere else (that now I can't find to link) that the rye was actually the recipe they used for Booker's Rye. 

That would seem to fit with what I read. The Bookers rye had a higher rye content (65% or so?) than standard Beam rye or Old Overholt.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Kepler
On 9/3/2020 at 3:26 PM, BigRich said:

I was reading something somewhere else (that now I can't find to link) that the rye was actually the recipe they used for Booker's Rye. 

 

On 9/3/2020 at 7:24 PM, tanstaafl2 said:

That would seem to fit with what I read. The Bookers rye had a higher rye content (65% or so?) than standard Beam rye or Old Overholt.

 

Going from memory off the top of my head (granted, a very dangerous endeavor for me) I seem to recall that Beam claimed the Booker's Rye recipe was lost or not documented.  Am I just mis-remembering?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
BottledInBond
9 hours ago, Kepler said:

 

 

Going from memory off the top of my head (granted, a very dangerous endeavor for me) I seem to recall that Beam claimed the Booker's Rye recipe was lost or not documented.  Am I just mis-remembering?

There was buzz around when Booker’s rye came out that it was a one time batch, as it was the only barrels Booker had produced of that recipe. I don’t think anyone from Beam ever actually confirmed that the recipe was lost. 

 

This article from 2018 had an interview with Fred Noe says they still have the recipe. If you read the whole article it’s a little confusing/contradictory though. As of 2018, Fred said they had not produced any barrels that were the same as Booker’s Rye. However the same article sites a different Beam Suntory source saying they have laid down barrels from the same mashbill. So based on this article, it would seem that yes they have produced some rye from the same mashbill, but it would have been watered down to a lower barrel entry proof, unlike the Booker’s rye. Who knows though, this is just once source. 
 

https://www.gobourbon.com/the-next-batch-of-jim-beams-bookers-rye-hasnt-been-barreled-yet/

 

For the record, I really like me some Booker’s Rye, like, a lot. For my friends and family that like whiskey my collection is pretty much all fair game. But I’ll admit I start to get a nervous twitch when someone starts to get close to my last remaining half-full bottle of this stuff.....

  • I like it 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
JoeTerp
On 9/2/2020 at 9:17 AM, Marekv8 said:

It's very rye forward, yet with a distinctive Beam note running through it. Took quite a bit of water and time to show itself, but the folks that I've brought samples to have been pleasantly surprised. I still have an open Chapter 2 that I need to pit it against. Prices have ranged from $75 to $90.

LB4 MSRP is $125, so those are relative values.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Wedelstaedt
On 9/4/2020 at 11:00 PM, Kepler said:

 

 

Going from memory off the top of my head (granted, a very dangerous endeavor for me) I seem to recall that Beam claimed the Booker's Rye recipe was lost or not documented.  Am I just mis-remembering?

Yes, your memory is accurate.  When Booker's Big Time Rye batch was released, The official Beam press release stated, Booker Noe distilled & laid down the Barrels without documenting his recipe. The speculation amin 2016 was it was higher in Rye than the standard "barely legal Beam Rye."

 

Cheers

Edited by Wedelstaedt
Added clarification
  • I like it 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.