Sign in to follow this  
fishnbowljoe

Virginia liquor sales up $117M from same time last year

flahute

This is a potentially tricky topic. Are sales up in liquor stores compared to last year? Most unequivocally yes. What about total liquor sales? When you take into account the the steep drop off in on premise sales, I think total sales are down. ( I did not read the article to see if they made the distinction.)

tanstaafl2

It also seems that the biggest increase is in "comfort" brands. Or at least the ones people are most familiar with. Jim, Jack, Jose and Tito for example (one more and it could be a boy band...). Specialty items and new things are not as easy to move with many stores limiting access for some or all of the past few months and on premise very limited.

• I like it 1

JoeTerp
On 9/6/2020 at 1:01 AM, flahute said:

This is a potentially tricky topic. Are sales up in liquor stores compared to last year? Most unequivocally yes. What about total liquor sales? When you take into account the the steep drop off in on premise sales, I think total sales are down. ( I did not read the article to see if they made the distinction.)

It's extra weird in a control state like VA where on premise has to buy from the VA ABC stores.  The benefit they get is that its tax free as the state collects tax on the on-premise sale at typical markups.  And that last piece just isn't happening, so the state may still be down some tax revenue.

TwoFingers
On 9/6/2020 at 6:19 PM, tanstaafl2 said:

Jim, Jack, Jose and Tito for example (one more and it could be a boy band...).

A boy band?  I'm just hoping that isn't the four horsemen of the apocalypse.  With 2020, you never know.