Bourbon Bars and Restaurant Recommendations

Not_That_Fancy
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

I searched to see if this thread already existed. If it does I apologize but I couldn’t find it.

I travel a lot for work. As I pass through spots I like to check out a good bar with a decent bourbon selection. I think a thread with recommendations and prices per pour would be nice. 

today I’m having lunch at Owyhee Tavern in Boise, ID. What a bourbon gem! %25 off for happy hr as well! 

73C9298E-49D7-4050-A037-DCF2B203B7CC.jpeg

DA6849D6-04C0-4CA1-AC8F-2FA467434E2D.jpeg

AC53A55E-0A5A-46CA-A348-DDEEEF8E4095.jpeg

31E21929-6E6B-4E8D-AE0A-73AFE4542D80.jpeg

0BDF77E2-85E5-49F8-AF86-B538D89C254D.jpeg

• I like it 2

Nice topic.  That tavern in Boise has a great and fairly priced (IMO, though I hail from a major metro where fair prices on allocated bourbon is few and far between) booze list!

• I like it 1

IMO there will be a lot of people on here not wanting their local watering hole mentioned on here. There are people that lurk here then poach when someone mentions they found X bottle at X store. That's why you don't see that here like you do on the abundance of exhaustive FB groups. 

The same thing applies to bars and restaurants. 

10 minutes ago, JCwhammie said:

IMO there will be a lot of people on here not wanting their local watering hole mentioned on here. There are people that lurk here then poach when someone mentions they found X bottle at X store. That's why you don't see that here like you do on the abundance of exhaustive FB groups. 

The same thing applies to bars and restaurants. 

And those folks can keep there secret watering hole just that. 

but to those who believe good bourbon should be shared with good friends... post away! 

While I agree that a lot of folks won’t be too inclined to share the serious “honey holes” that are off the beaten path and below the taters’ radar, I don’t think there’s much harm either in discussing the more popular and well-known locations in the larger locales.

Here in the East Bay region of the SF Bay Area, Beer Baron has two restaurants (Oakland and Pleasanton) that are popular with popular with families as well as adult couples and groups.  They have an extensive list of whiskeys, available in 1 oz and multiple oz pours.  Prices aren’t as nice as what @Not_That_Fancy posted, but they do typically price out at a bit less than the rape prices often seen around the area.  

I know @fosmith has been to BB, and liked it for what it is - decent food, fun atmosphere, and an opportunity to choose from a very large variety of bottles.  

*** I have zero involvement with the owners or staff there ***

• I like it 2

19 hours ago, Not_That_Fancy said:

I searched to see if this thread already existed. If it does I apologize but I couldn’t find it.

I travel a lot for work. As I pass through spots I like to check out a good bar with a decent bourbon selection. I think a thread with recommendations and prices per pour would be nice. 

today I’m having lunch at Owyhee Tavern in Boise, ID. What a bourbon gem! %25 off for happy hr as well! 

Wow!  Great menu with great prices!  But WSR for the same price as CEHT SiB??? LOL!   On topic, here in the SF Bay Area, District in downtown Oakland has a great whiskey bar with BTAC, etc. and BT is their well pour.  Also, great food and hip vibe.  Don't know if they are open now due to the pandemic, however. 

• I like it 2

44 minutes ago, fosmith said:

Wow!  Great menu with great prices!  But WSR for the same price as CEHT SiB??? LOL!   On topic, here in the SF Bay Area, District in downtown Oakland has a great whiskey bar with BTAC, etc. and BT is their well pour.  Also, great food and hip vibe.  Don't know if they are open now due to the pandemic, however. 

Lol special reserve is $2 more than 107

• I like it 2

On 9/15/2020 at 2:49 PM, Not_That_Fancy said:

And those folks can keep there secret watering hole just that. 

but to those who believe good bourbon should be shared with good friends... post away! 

I'm trying to figure out the connection between sharing bourbon with "good friends" and posting info on a public internet forum anonymously.  ?

My favorite neighborhood restaurant has an amazing whiskey selection, but they have WT 101 Rye for $5 a pour so it's hard for me to get anything else. Goes great with either the salmon (if I'm being good) or the carbonara (?). 

• I like it 3

In Catonsville Maryland there is state fare for american whiskies and Ellicott City Maryland has the judges bench for single malts. I'm a fan of both.

Edited by Mattk
  • I like it 1

4 hours ago, Kepler said:

I'm trying to figure out the connection between sharing bourbon with "good friends" and posting info on a public internet forum anonymously.  ?

Well in Idaho where it’s state controlled liquor stores, the allocated bottles to include a bottle of ER is hard to get. Some folks do not get the enjoy all of the fancy pours as some people that have the “connection”. So providing locations or recommendations of places for folks to try rare stuff is sharing with friends in my book. 

• I like it 1

28 minutes ago, Not_That_Fancy said:

Well in Idaho where it’s state controlled liquor stores, the allocated bottles to include a bottle of ER is hard to get. Some folks do not get the enjoy all of the fancy pours as some people that have the “connection”. So providing locations or recommendations of places for folks to try rare stuff is sharing with friends in my book. 

Yeah ok that does makes sense, I get it.  I could be a bit on the spoiled side,  not referring to connections to special bottles from liquor stores, but just bars who have hard to find bourbons are everywhere.  Just about any good steakhouse or nice restaurant in cities here in Texas have  well stocked bars.  Plus anyone can just google "whiskey bar" orcsome such and get some nice options. Safe travels man.

In the past, I recall some small operation getting a great review - unintended consequences.  It ruined it, at least for the regulars.

On the other hand, in today's economy, bars and restaurants struggle.

I believe places that do good service in food and beverage deserve credit.  We don't want them to close.    

• I like it 1

New member:  What is a good way to try a lot of bourbons to see what I like, without busting my small bank account buying a whole bunch of bottles?

Old member:  Great question, Sir!  I can already tell you’re going about this the “RIGHT!” way!  Go to some bars that have good selections and “Try before you BUY!”

New member:  Thanks!!  That sounds like a great idea!  Can you give me some recommendations of some good bars with good selections so I may continue on the “RIGHT!” Way?!?!

Old member:  Fuck off.  

??

• I like it 10

1 hour ago, smokinjoe said:

New member:  What is a good way to try a lot of bourbons to see what I like, without busting my small bank account buying a whole bunch of bottles?

Old member:  Great question, Sir!  I can already tell you’re going about this the “RIGHT!” way!  Go to some bars that have good selections and “Try before you BUY!”

New member:  Thanks!!  That sounds like a great idea!  Can you give me some recommendations of some good bars with good selections so I may continue on the “RIGHT!” Way?!?!

??

Welcome to SB...?

• I like it 1

11 hours ago, smokinjoe said:

??

Haha Hahaha haha. This is us.

• I like it 2

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.