Maker's Mark Wood Finishing Series 2020

B.B. Babington
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

Made with special barrels using 2 staves, American and French oaks.  Released at 110.8 proof.

It wasn’t until my 3rd visit that I decided I like it, but many folks would not.  It’s very single dimensional with little after taste.  It seems maybe “hot” with tannins?  I plan SBS with other higher proofers.  I’ve used it with WT101 which seems like water compared to this Maker’s.  The limousin is there but not as prominent as I’ve had in many French oak finished products.  Presumably, the French oak is what’s giving it the bitter tannin flavor?

I like it and will search for another bottle.  But I suspect many would not like it.  It’s not as stout as Woodford Maple Finish, but that gives ya an idea of where this goes.  It is on the recommend list if you like wood experiments.

Did you have the 2019 release RC6? I am curious to see how it compares. Maker's Mark is certainly not my favorite bourbon, but I do like some of it.  The RC6 was my favorite by far of anything they've put out that I have tried. I wasn't really a fan of the cask strength MM46 release earlier this year, or several of the Private Selections I've tried, but RC6 was good. I bought two backup bottles for the bunker. 

On 9/20/2020 at 12:49 AM, silverc said:

Did you have the 2019 release RC6? I am curious to see how it compares. Maker's Mark is certainly not my favorite bourbon, but I do like some of it.  The RC6 was my favorite by far of anything they've put out that I have tried. I wasn't really a fan of the cask strength MM46 release earlier this year, or several of the Private Selections I've tried, but RC6 was good. I bought two backup bottles for the bunker. 

RC6 was fine but I have liked several Private Selections much better including of course the two I have been a part of (no bias there of course... ? ). Although our most recent one is really excellent in my opinion!

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.