Taconic Distillery Barrel Pick

JakeySnakes
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

Finally getting around to posting this. Last Saturday, myself and some members of a local FB group meet up at the Taconic Distillery in the Hudson Valley to do a barrel pick for the group. This was my first time on a pick, so to say I was excited is an understatement. The day started with an excellent misty fall drive up to picturesque Stanfordville, NY to the distillery. Once there, we were meet by Head Distiller Brandon Collins. Brandon is a super great guy, and was previously a Distillery Supervisor at Buffalo Trace, so really interesting to talk to, and knows his stuff.

We each got six samples to taste, all roughly 4-4.5 years old, which is basically the oldest stock Taconic has, and each were around 125 proof, distilled and aged onsite in 53 gallon barrels. Right off the bat the three of us narrowed it down to 2 really good barrels, but needed a break before deciding.

IMG_0785.thumb.JPG.dbc0b1baec14cec99e46a6c4ebca21e4.JPG

Brandon was kind enough to give us a tour of the distillery and grounds which was awesome. They just built a new metal barn that is starting to fill up.

IMG_0786.thumb.JPG.5fcabb9b415396e96192298b8b780a5f.JPG

IMG_0787.thumb.JPG.553d389f322e558b2d1b24193fa7dad9.JPG

Back to the tasting, we all unanimously agreed on a barrel, which was way easier than I thought it was going to be. Guess it was just that good. It's going to take them about 5 weeks to get the proof registered, and then they'll dump and bottle, so hopefully we'll have them by December. Needless to say, I'm pretty psyched to be a part of this pick with a local distillery making some really good stuff!

IMG_0789.thumb.JPG.672ac9625b9cea24c3240faa8f4188fd.JPG

• I like it 6

Thanks for sharing.  This is the first I've heard of the Taconic Distillery.  I like several things I'm seeing: 4 - 4.5 year old product, full size barrels, nice looking warehouse, people with industry experience. ?

• I like it 1

very cool.  I've been pretty impressed by some of the craft distilleries when they have decently aged products in full barrels.

• I like it 1

• 2 weeks later...

that sounds like an awesome fun day.  jealous.  and you guys will enjoy that long after the whiskey is gone.  Unless ya keep a few in larder for posterity.

• I like it 1

14 hours ago, B.B. Babington said:

that sounds like an awesome fun day.  jealous.  and you guys will enjoy that long after the whiskey is gone.  Unless ya keep a few in larder for posterity.

Totally great experience, and hopefully the first of many. We'll see what the final yield is, and reserved bottle count, but hopefully I come away with a case. So plenty to drink, and maybe 1 or 2 to squirrel away.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.