Jim Butler Bourbon

Gillman
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

It has been way too long since I've looked in here. I hope I have still many friends at SB.

I've been busy writing mostly about beer history in recent years at my site, www.beeretseq.com, and in scholarly journals.

I do still write about whiskey though, earlier this month I did a number of bourbon posts if you scroll down.

In my ceaseless combing of historical resources, I just came across an ad for Jim Butler Bourbon. I had to look twice to ascertain the date: it was 1962, in a San Bernadino, CA newspaper. Eight years old too, quality stuff!

https://cdnc.ucr.edu/?a=d&d=SBS19620608.1.41&srpos=1&e=-------en--20--1--txt-txIN-"Butler's+bourbon"-------1

Sounds like Jim's importance to the bourbon world was presaged long ago..

Gary

Edited by Gillman
typo
  • I like it 2

Fine Joe, I hope you too, and the Boss of course.

Now all you sleuthers - unless this has been discussed before - where did the brand originate?

The dusty of all dusties.

Edited by Gillman

I don’t know the answer to that Gary, but...

My older sister’s best friend from her high school and college days, married a Jim Butler. They have a vineyard and winery near Bloomington Indiana. I stopped there a few years ago on the way down to one of our get togethers in Bardstown. Suzy actually remembered me. We didn’t have much time to talk because she was starting a tour. Jim was busy too. I did buy a bottle or two of Butler wine, and IIRC, one ended up with our Jim. (?) 

Biba! Joe

https://www.butlerwinery.com

53 minutes ago, Gillman said:

In my ceaseless combing of historical resources, I just came across an ad for Jim Butler Bourbon. I had to look twice to ascertain the date: it was 1962, in a San Bernadino, CA newspaper. Eight years old too, quality stuff!

I was three years old when that was released. My memories from those early years are a bit sparse, and I was pre-literate at the time -- physiology and all, ya know -- so I couldn't tell you from where it was sourced. 

3 minutes ago, jbutler said:

and I was pre-literate  

Pretty sure nothing has changed. 

Good to hear from you Gary!

A typically modest reply from the Boss! :)

And thanks to Phil as well.

One day I'll get down there again, of course now...

The influence of this board and its guiding spirit is evident in the American whiskey business every day....

• I like it 1

22 minutes ago, Gillman said:

A typically modest reply from the Boss!

That's just how I roll, man. ?

Good to see you're still with us, Gary. I was thinking about you a couple days ago, and now here you are.

On 12/1/2020 at 6:32 PM, fishnbowljoe said:

I don’t know the answer to that Gary, but...

My older sister’s best friend from her high school and college days, married a Jim Butler. They have a vineyard and winery near Bloomington Indiana. I stopped there a few years ago on the way down to one of our get togethers in Bardstown. Suzy actually remembered me. We didn’t have much time to talk because she was starting a tour. Jim was busy too. I did buy a bottle or two of Butler wine, and IIRC, one ended up with our Jim. (?) 

Biba! Joe

https://www.butlerwinery.com

Interesting. I went to Purdue in the early 90's and vaguely remember being lightly acquainted with a young woman who married into that family and got into the wine making biz. Maybe the same person?

My sister went to IU with Jim's wife Suzy back in the late 60's-early 70's. 

OK, looks like I am showing my youth, I must be talking about their son/daughter-in-law

46 minutes ago, DeltaAlphaVictorEasy said:

OK, looks like I am showing my youth, I must be talking about their son/daughter-in-law

That could very well be.

On 12/1/2020 at 6:01 PM, Gillman said:

It has been way too long since I've looked in here. I hope I have still many friends at SB.

I've been busy writing mostly about beer history in recent years at my site, www.beeretseq.com, and in scholarly journals.

I do still write about whiskey though, earlier this month I did a number of bourbon posts if you scroll down.

https://cdnc.ucr.edu/?a=d&d=SBS19620608.1.41&srpos=1&e=-------en--20--1--txt-txIN-"Butler's+bourbon"-------1

Sounds like Jim's importance to the bourbon world was presaged long ago..

Gary

Some us subscribe, Gary.  Some us even drink beer! Keep up your notes - they are good reading when we tire of TV.?

• I like it 1

Hey Gary.  I miss seeing you in Bardstown.  Whiskey at the Gazebo and beers by the pool at the GN.   Good days  and memories. 

• I like it 1

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.