Jump to content

BOTM 12/20 Pappy Van Winkle 15


Recommended Posts

AlfaLarreo
1 hour ago, yobber76 said:

Are there bourbons out there with a similar taste profile to PVW 15? Or suggestions of other high quality pours that are more attainable?

Many think the Wellers, being the same mashbill but that’s dependent on palate.  I personally don’t even think ORVW 10 yr or Lot B are that similar.  In my opinion, they are all unique and nothing is that close to PVW 15.

 

That being said, there are many great available bourbons out there, but it is somewhat dependent on location.  Have you tried enough to know what you like?

 

There are many opinions on even figuring out what you like.  I like looking at things by proof, age, mashbill, and finishing.  I don’t like bourbons under 6 years and prefer over 10 unless they are barrel finished.  I prefer high proof offerings, especially if wheated.  I don’t like young wheated bourbons.  It was a long process to figure this out, but it’s worth it.  Not only do I know what I like, I got to taste a lot of bourbon.

Link to post
Share on other sites
yobber76

Thanks for the reply.

While I have tried alot of bourbons, I don't consider myself an afficionado. In other words, I like what I like, I can't always say why.

Some of my favorites- RR 10yr, KC 9yr, KC 12yr, EC BP (B519 and B520 of recent years), Bookers, John Bowman SiB, EHT, ER, OWA, and Weller 12yr., Stagg Jr

 

So-So bourbons- Most of the 1792 group, I've tried them all, Blanton's because I think there are better bourbons at $65 min., Bakers 7yr because of price,

I like the taste, WT 101, though great for the price, regular MM, though I really like the 101 blend.

 

And there are others, most of them I like enough to drink. WSR and Henry McKenna 10yr, so far 2 of my least favorites, even at MSRP.

 

I guess what I'm looking for at this point are those bourbons that have a fairly high price point even at MSRP ( like $100-200). Are they worth the money to try. 

Whistle Pig Rye, Old Fitz 14yr, Calumet Farms, Joseph Magnus, to name a few. Are there bourbons at that range that are worth buying when you see them on the shelf, or are the $40-60 bourbons like I listed above just as good. Maybe it's hype, but PVW 15yr seems to me to be exceptional. I have a bottle of Pappy 12yr, the 15yr is noticeably better. That being said, I bought the 15yr for $125, I would not pay grey market prices for most bourbons. 

 

A little long winded, I'm starting to reach the phase where I've tried alot of medium priced bourbons, more than a few lower shelf bourbons, but not too many of the higher priced bourbons. I'm trying to determine if it's worth the expense to journey into some of the boutique bourbons, or be happy with a handful that I like and make sure I have them at affordable prices.

 

I appreciate the vast information this forum offers, any thoughts would be appreciated.

 

Cheers!

 

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
PhantomLamb
12 hours ago, yobber76 said:

Are there bourbons out there with a similar taste profile to PVW 15? Or suggestions of other high quality pours that are more attainable?

From what I've heard from @fishnbowljoe, it seems that Weller may be more attainable in Illinois.  This uses the same BT mashbill #2 as PVW and should give you a similar profile.  

 

Any wheated bourbon should at least put you in the same ballpark, although not hitting all the notes PVW does, of course.

Link to post
Share on other sites
yobber76

Thank you for the reply. Sadly, Weller isn't as attainable as it was last year. Getting hard to find at MSRP, with the exception of WSR.

Link to post
Share on other sites
fishnbowljoe

In my area, Weller has been showing up less, and more sporadically as of late. Some local stores attribute this to Binny’s opening a store here. I can’t really comment on that, as I have no clue. I do know a couple of sales reps, and even though they haven’t said so outright, I get the distinct impression that they think things have been a cluster  f**k around here for a while. I can only guess that this goes for a lot of other areas around the country as well. 
 

Biba! Joe

Link to post
Share on other sites
AlfaLarreo
14 hours ago, yobber76 said:

Thanks for the reply.

While I have tried alot of bourbons, I don't consider myself an afficionado. In other words, I like what I like, I can't always say why.

Some of my favorites- RR 10yr, KC 9yr, KC 12yr, EC BP (B519 and B520 of recent years), Bookers, John Bowman SiB, EHT, ER, OWA, and Weller 12yr., Stagg Jr

 

So-So bourbons- Most of the 1792 group, I've tried them all, Blanton's because I think there are better bourbons at $65 min., Bakers 7yr because of price,

I like the taste, WT 101, though great for the price, regular MM, though I really like the 101 blend.

 

And there are others, most of them I like enough to drink. WSR and Henry McKenna 10yr, so far 2 of my least favorites, even at MSRP.

 

I guess what I'm looking for at this point are those bourbons that have a fairly high price point even at MSRP ( like $100-200). Are they worth the money to try. 

Whistle Pig Rye, Old Fitz 14yr, Calumet Farms, Joseph Magnus, to name a few. Are there bourbons at that range that are worth buying when you see them on the shelf, or are the $40-60 bourbons like I listed above just as good. Maybe it's hype, but PVW 15yr seems to me to be exceptional. I have a bottle of Pappy 12yr, the 15yr is noticeably better. That being said, I bought the 15yr for $125, I would not pay grey market prices for most bourbons. 

 

A little long winded, I'm starting to reach the phase where I've tried alot of medium priced bourbons, more than a few lower shelf bourbons, but not too many of the higher priced bourbons. I'm trying to determine if it's worth the expense to journey into some of the boutique bourbons, or be happy with a handful that I like and make sure I have them at affordable prices.

 

I appreciate the vast information this forum offers, any thoughts would be appreciated.

 

Cheers!

 

 

Your taste sounds a bit similar to mine and it seems like you have a bent toward the heavy weights.  We also seem to dislike the same things.  IMO, yes bourbons in that price range are worth it.  Look at cask strength sourced stuff, I would suggest Barrell releases (look at reviews, they’re all over the place, but batches 22 and 25 get good reviews) and Jefferson’s Ocean Voyage 21 Cask Strength if you can still find it.  Also, consider going out of Kentucky and look at stuff like Garrison cask strength releases, Cowboy in particular (which I think comes out soon).  They get pretty good reviews, but I have not tried my cask strength barrel select yet.

 

I like the regular Magnus, but it’s not a great bourbon.  I have not been able to get a Cigar Blend, but hear good things.  I have an Old Fitz 14 BiB distillery release only, but have not yet opened it.  I have very high expectations.  I don’t see any 4R on your list, but strongly suggest any private selection releases.

 

Happy hunting!

Link to post
Share on other sites
yobber76
8 hours ago, AlfaLarreo said:

Your taste sounds a bit similar to mine and it seems like you have a bent toward the heavy weights.  We also seem to dislike the same things.  IMO, yes bourbons in that price range are worth it.  Look at cask strength sourced stuff, I would suggest Barrell releases (look at reviews, they’re all over the place, but batches 22 and 25 get good reviews) and Jefferson’s Ocean Voyage 21 Cask Strength if you can still find it.  Also, consider going out of Kentucky and look at stuff like Garrison cask strength releases, Cowboy in particular (which I think comes out soon).  They get pretty good reviews, but I have not tried my cask strength barrel select yet.

 

I like the regular Magnus, but it’s not a great bourbon.  I have not been able to get a Cigar Blend, but hear good things.  I have an Old Fitz 14 BiB distillery release only, but have not yet opened it.  I have very high expectations.  I don’t see any 4R on your list, but strongly suggest any private selection releases.

 

Happy hunting!

Thanks, I picked up a Calumet Farms 14yr old yesterday on the recommendation of a store mgr, as well as reviews I read.

I'm playing with the idea of trying the Bardstown discovery series, I can't find a poor review of these.

I have thought about the Barrell bourbons, but got a little turned off because the reviews seem to differ greatly from batch to batch.

I'm not ready to try Magnus, you are the 2nd person to say it's not a great bourbon.

I did try a 4R special release, and I liked it. I was spending alot of my time chasing EHT, ER, and Blanton's as I have friends that think these are the best daily sippers.

I have these bunkered at decent prices, now I want to take the journey in a new direction for awhile.

The PVW 15 showed me a different quality level than I have seen in most bourbons, a wow factor like the one you feel when you taste a wine that hits all of your buttons.

While I might not be able to duplicate the taste profile exactly, can I find some other bourbons that are a breed apart in that wow factor. That's the quest for now.

 

Thanks for your thoughts, they are very helpful

Link to post
Share on other sites
AlfaLarreo
53 minutes ago, yobber76 said:

Thanks, I picked up a Calumet Farms 14yr old yesterday on the recommendation of a store mgr, as well as reviews I read.

I'm playing with the idea of trying the Bardstown discovery series, I can't find a poor review of these.

I have thought about the Barrell bourbons, but got a little turned off because the reviews seem to differ greatly from batch to batch.

I'm not ready to try Magnus, you are the 2nd person to say it's not a great bourbon.

I did try a 4R special release, and I liked it. I was spending alot of my time chasing EHT, ER, and Blanton's as I have friends that think these are the best daily sippers.

I have these bunkered at decent prices, now I want to take the journey in a new direction for awhile.

The PVW 15 showed me a different quality level than I have seen in most bourbons, a wow factor like the one you feel when you taste a wine that hits all of your buttons.

While I might not be able to duplicate the taste profile exactly, can I find some other bourbons that are a breed apart in that wow factor. That's the quest for now.

 

Thanks for your thoughts, they are very helpful

Ah okay, that’s a different animal to some extent and my quest is similar.  Over the years I have found many that hold there own in experience to PVW15, but most are also allocated special releases or basically gone at this point.  The LEs from 4R, some of the PHC series, the old WFE and Noah’s Mill with 15 year age statement from KBD, EHT Barrel Strength, EC 21, and of course BTAC.

 

However, that doesn't help you much, so you’ll still need to buy and try.  That’s what I’m doing and I’m only buying things that I think may bring me the wow experience based on my tastes and reading many reviews.  In addition to the ones I mentioned in my previous post, I’ve also picked up AECS and AE Tawny Port finished, Blood Oath Pact 6, Lux Row Double Barreled, and BBC Discovery Series 3.  I’m not expecting all of these to hit the nail on the head, but at the very least they should all be bourbons I enjoy.  More than anything I know what not to buy (at least I think), I’m still trying to finish some of those.

 

Hopefully some others will chime in, there is a lot of experience on here.

Link to post
Share on other sites
yobber76
1 hour ago, AlfaLarreo said:

Ah okay, that’s a different animal to some extent and my quest is similar.  Over the years I have found many that hold there own in experience to PVW15, but most are also allocated special releases or basically gone at this point.  The LEs from 4R, some of the PHC series, the old WFE and Noah’s Mill with 15 year age statement from KBD, EHT Barrel Strength, EC 21, and of course BTAC.

 

However, that doesn't help you much, so you’ll still need to buy and try.  That’s what I’m doing and I’m only buying things that I think may bring me the wow experience based on my tastes and reading many reviews.  In addition to the ones I mentioned in my previous post, I’ve also picked up AECS and AE Tawny Port finished, Blood Oath Pact 6, Lux Row Double Barreled, and BBC Discovery Series 3.  I’m not expecting all of these to hit the nail on the head, but at the very least they should all be bourbons I enjoy.  More than anything I know what not to buy (at least I think), I’m still trying to finish some of those.

 

Hopefully some others will chime in, there is a lot of experience on here.

Thanks again.

  • I like it 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.