Jump to content

What rye are you drinking or purchased in 2021


Recommended Posts

1 hour ago, 0895 said:

Awesome, glad you finally found one!

I don't think you'll be disappointed.

I am not. Although I'm thoroughly surprised by how different it is from the standard offering. I want a few more for sure.

Link to post
Share on other sites
  • Replies 519
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

  • Mattk

    85

  • 0895

    47

  • Kepler

    35

  • Skinsfan1311

    34

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

We are still cleaning up from Hurricane Laura (just some stuff we haven’t gotten to yet). I was in my shop and came across a wine box that was heavy, damn the luck, it has 5 Rittenhouse BiB Ryes (KY35

Wild Turkey Rye just goes so well with Fall.  

This showed up today, thanks to an eastern connection. Super excited about it!    

Posted Images

Been awhile since I drank rye, so think tonight will be a rye night.  KC cask strength 2009 rye is on deck

  • I like it 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

Really enjoyed an interesting sample from a small distillery, Still 360 Rallypoint rye.  Fantastic, dare I say 'elite' finish and mouthfeel on this one.  Although I'm still not sure what to make of its strong young & grassy nose, which also carries over to the early and mid palate, I can say with confidence that this is a great example of a whiskey that finishes so strong that it just makes you want to go back for more,  again and again. I'll be keeping an eye out for Still 630 ryes in the future...

  • I like it 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
JCwhammie
7 hours ago, Kepler said:

Really enjoyed an interesting sample from a small distillery, Still 360 Rallypoint rye.  Fantastic, dare I say 'elite' finish and mouthfeel on this one.  Although I'm still not sure what to make of its strong young & grassy nose, which also carries over to the early and mid palate, I can say with confidence that this is a great example of a whiskey that finishes so strong that it just makes you want to go back for more,  again and again. I'll be keeping an eye out for Still 630 ryes in the future...

This is good to hear. I had a bottle when they first opened. Im guessing it was a year or so aged, it wasn't very good. Ive had their 5 yr SiB, which is absolutely fantastic (I have one in the bunker).

I'll have to go buy a bottle of the regular release. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
tanstaafl2
On 1/28/2021 at 8:38 PM, 0895 said:

This showed up today, thanks to an eastern connection.

Super excited about it!

 

 

7ACDB93F-A300-4E3B-AD9D-46CF55E618F4.jpeg

Will be curious to hear about that one! I sadly will probably never have a chance to buy one though. 

Link to post
Share on other sites

Thanks to a friend, I'm finally able to try a taste of this.

 

Bazooka bubble gum on the nose, followed by some herbal aromas that I can't quite place at the moment.

Hints of the leathery goodness I often get from past THH releases lingers in the background, balanced by floral bouquets.

 

The first thing I notice about the sip is how incredibly well balanced this is.

It has all the typical THH flavors rounded up into one package.

The floral, leather, cotton candy, baking spices, they are all there,  equally balanced with each other and then perfectly complemented by just the right amount of alcohol.

The finish is spicy and present, lasting just the right amount of time.

This is not my favorite release ever of THH, but it is truly one of the best in terms of being the complete package.

If someone were new to THH, I would highly recommend this release as the first one they should experience.

 

 

5B6002D7-A757-4BAF-93C9-D8551CE0EE65.jpeg

Edited by 0895
  • I like it 4
Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, tanstaafl2 said:

Will be curious to hear about that one! I sadly will probably never have a chance to buy one though. 


what the heck... here you go.

 

Nose is that familiar Beam high corn and slightly nutty aroma.

Sip is a bit different.  Very delicate slightly herbal type spice with a kiss of sweetness behind it.

The age presents itself at the very end with a nice oaky warm finish.

 

I like really good well done proofed down old rye.  This checks all of those boxes.

 

This is good.

Really good.

 

 

(exhale and enjoying the rye breath)

 

 

It’s going to be a bottle that brings back fond memories long after it’s gone for me.... which probably won’t take very long.

5E9359CE-72B0-4DB8-AB73-2BF6978F7EA3.jpeg

  • I like it 3
Link to post
Share on other sites
fishnbowljoe

Yep, it’s me once again posting about drinking something other than bourbon. 😬 Again, don’t nobody faint.  😲

 

There’s a very long story and back story with this one, especially regarding this bottle in particular, but I’ll just cut to the chase. One more time, don’t nobody faint.🤪

 

Fleischmann’s Rye. I decided to open my bottle and have a pour last night. Not bad, not great, but an oddity for sure. Members with more tenure here know what I’m talking about. For some of you newer folks with a little curiosity, do a search on the site and elsewhere. Fun and interesting for sure.”Know what I mean Vern?” 🙃

 

Biba! Joe

  • I like it 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

So I opened this for a pour donated to a charity event. Then took it on a "pour tour" to my buddies on the way home. What a fantastic pour. It remains the best release of 2020 for myself.

IMG_20210210_202845.jpg

  • I like it 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

Broke out the piglets today for a sbsbs.

 

10 yr: Yep, it's a Canadian rye. Its decent but I don't think it's worth the $65+ price tag. It checks all the rye boxes.  Grassy, minty, with spicy finish.  Nose was the most herbal of the 3.

12 yr Old World: Noticeably darker and the nose carries a lot of the Cask finishes to give it a more fruity character. That also carries over to the palate. Apparently Port only makes up about 7% of the overall blend but I pick it up the most. I believe this one is MGP rye as a base?

15 yr Estate Oak:  The darkest of the 3. Similar to the 10 year but has more oak to the nose and the taste. Its softer feeling and a little lower proof but it finishes longer. I understand this is Canadian also and is aged again for ~6 months in new charred casks from WP's farm. That's where the color and the oak comes from I assume.  Better than the 10, but not sure its worth the crazy price tag. $200+??

 

I liked the 12 year the best of the 3.  I tend to like finished ryes or rye in a cocktail so that makes sense I guess. Glad I tried them but I won't be rushing out to buy a bottle of any of them soon.

20210213_170905.jpg

Edited by Clueby
  • I like it 4
Link to post
Share on other sites

We are still cleaning up from Hurricane Laura (just some stuff we haven’t gotten to yet). I was in my shop and came across a wine box that was heavy, damn the luck, it has 5 Rittenhouse BiB Ryes (KY354). 
I couldn’t help but open one up. Just as good as I remember. It’s been awhile. 
EE7BD586-CB74-4E43-A3C3-B2C94A5BA98A.thumb.jpeg.ea62b74f290a177b2cdc2c6e999ed970.jpeg

  • I like it 13
Link to post
Share on other sites

I was given a couple of bottles today which I wouldn't have normally purchased myself. Ended up having the filibuster tonight after dinner.

IMG_20210214_102750.jpg

Edited by Mattk
Link to post
Share on other sites
On 2/10/2021 at 7:34 PM, Mattk said:

So I opened this for a pour donated to a charity event. Then took it on a "pour tour" to my buddies on the way home. What a fantastic pour. It remains the best release of 2020 for myself.

IMG_20210210_202845.jpg

 

Do you know who distilled that one?

Not that I've seen any around, but I've been curious as I keep hearing good stuff.

Link to post
Share on other sites
11 hours ago, 0895 said:

 

Do you know who distilled that one?

Not that I've seen any around, but I've been curious as I keep hearing good stuff.

I believe it was contract distilled at new riff

  • I like it 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, Marekv8 said:

I'm too much of a completist…

 

IMG_5846.thumb.jpg.a6f33f55394763150ffe9bd7dea98ef2.jpg

I haven’t been keeping up...didn’t realize this was available. I do have the 13, 16 and 18yr old versions, so if I’m able to find this, I’ll probably succumb to the temptation too.

Link to post
Share on other sites
smokinjoe
Just now, lcpfratn said:

I haven’t been keeping up...didn’t realize this was available. I do have the 13, 16 and 18yr old versions, so if I’m able to find this, I’ll probably succumb to the temptation too.

Yeah, right...just, “probably”.  Who you kidding, Jeff?!?!  😂😂😂.  

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, smokinjoe said:

Yeah, right...just, “probably”.  Who you kidding, Jeff?!?!  😂😂😂.  

Ok, ok, ok...you’re “probably” right Joe! 🤪😂

  • I like it 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

Oh man, so.... I've got the 13 in spades, an 18, and I'm receiving a couple 20s this week. But sadly I'm out of the 16. Closest I  have is the hotchstaders 16. I'll be searching soon as my funds recover for  LSB 16 for the collection for sure. Also I love the throwback nod to the original bottle.

IMG_20210215_190504.jpg

Link to post
Share on other sites
On 1/16/2021 at 8:21 PM, Radioyada said:

Saturday evening’s pour while trying to figure out what to watch.

 

 

13371E97-79EF-44F5-B96B-EB2A19FBB957.jpeg

How do you like this? My THH is running low and I've been looking for another premium Rye to replace it. This is available around my area, but the idea of teakwood casks is kind of a turnoff.

Link to post
Share on other sites
Radioyada
57 minutes ago, jwperry said:

How do you like this? My THH is running low and I've been looking for another premium Rye to replace it. This is available around my area, but the idea of teakwood casks is kind of a turnoff.

Personally I have found the last two Boss Hogs to be some of the best whisky I have ever had, and the latest is the best so far.  It is nothing like THH (of which I have had several bottles and like), so it will probably be something you would want to try first before committing to.  The teakwood casks really gives it a unique flavor.  Someone described it as "a cinnamon roll in a bottle", and I find that to be exactly what it reminds me of as well.

Edited by Radioyada
  • I like it 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
On 2/10/2021 at 8:34 PM, Mattk said:

So I opened this for a pour donated to a charity event. Then took it on a "pour tour" to my buddies on the way home. What a fantastic pour. It remains the best release of 2020 for myself.

IMG_20210210_202845.jpg

Did you take this picture using a potato?

Link to post
Share on other sites
20 minutes ago, mal00768 said:

Did you take this picture using a potato?

The aftermath was clearer.

IMG_20210212_182410.jpg

  • I like it 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
On 2/16/2021 at 11:27 AM, Radioyada said:

Personally I have found the last two Boss Hogs to be some of the best whisky I have ever had, and the latest is the best so far.  It is nothing like THH (of which I have had several bottles and like), so it will probably be something you would want to try first before committing to.  The teakwood casks really gives it a unique flavor.  Someone described it as "a cinnamon roll in a bottle", and I find that to be exactly what it reminds me of as well.

As luck would have it, I went out with some friends last night and a local establishment had a WP flight on special - 15y, 18y, Boss Hog V & Boss Hog VI...all for $75. Didn't get to try Boss Hog VII, it was $85 a pour and I wasn't going to shell out THAT much more money in one sitting. 

 

I was floored by both the Boss Hog offerings. The WP 18 tasted like an altoid. I really enjoyed the WP 15. 

 

You're right, the flavor profiles are very different from THH, but when I go searching for a premium Rye for my fancy cabinet it will likely be a Boss Hog. (they seem to be fairly available in my area so I won't have to pay a stupid markup on an already expensive bottle)

Link to post
Share on other sites
Radioyada
21 minutes ago, jwperry said:

As luck would have it, I went out with some friends last night and a local establishment had a WP flight on special - 15y, 18y, Boss Hog V & Boss Hog VI...all for $75. Didn't get to try Boss Hog VII, it was $85 a pour and I wasn't going to shell out THAT much more money in one sitting. 

 

I was floored by both the Boss Hog offerings. The WP 18 tasted like an altoid. I really enjoyed the WP 15. 

 

You're right, the flavor profiles are very different from THH, but when I go searching for a premium Rye for my fancy cabinet it will likely be a Boss Hog. (they seem to be fairly available in my area so I won't have to pay a stupid markup on an already expensive bottle)

Glad you liked 5 & 6.  That plum finish on 6 is incredible. My first BH tasting was at a restaurant also, and really made me realize how good they are. 

Edited by Radioyada
  • I like it 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.