Anyone else read "Bourbon Empire" by Mitenbuler?

IamMatt
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

I am about 3/4 through and wondering if anyone else has found it to have a really negative tone?  It has a lot of good history, but it feels like it was written by someone very angry.  Or as if his editor said, "Write about the history of bourbon, warts and all" and he didn't read the "and all" part.

Just read through a good portion in Google preview.  Great read. Love the informal, anecdotal style of writing.  I didn't get so much anger as journalistic expose on an industry built on myths, marketing and monopolies.  Of course, this was just a portion of the book but very enjoyable.  Thanks for the heads up on the title.  

Critical Bourbon Theory...🤣

• I like it 2

That's a good analogy.  One view of Critical Race Theory is that we have already been given a sanitized view of history and culture so giving the negatives is needed; the other view is that CRT is only negative and what is needed is a balanced view.

The book seems to take the former approach to bourbon history, intent almost exclusively on destroying the myths, exposing the negative underside of its history and business, and savaging many of the characters involved rather than giving a balanced view.  I am concurrently reading "Pappyland" which is very different.  Not quite hagiographic, but certainly a very sympathetic biographical history (or historical biography) so the contrast is quite sharp.

5 hours ago, IamMatt said:

". . . hagiographic "

Sorry, I didn't go to an Ivy League college for English Lit  - just a little technical school down the river from Havahd.  WTF???  🤣😝

45 minutes ago, GeeTen said:

Sorry, I didn't go to an Ivy League college for English Lit  - just a little technical school down the river from Havahd.  WTF???  🤣😝

Neither did I, but I alacritously endeavor to obviate any lacunae in my vocabulary lol.

• I like it 1

So I just finished Chapter 16 which discusses Makers Mark and it seems like a completely different writer.  Either he cheered or he is a big MM fanboy.  His writing is much more positive now.  Curious.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.