Booker's First Public Release

Jim R.
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

Hello! This is my first post. This is a bottle I purchased and gave my Dad when it was first released. Just a dumb luck purchase by a naive kid. For some reason, Dad refused to open it. Purely for curiosity's sake, does anyone with product and/or auction knowledge have any input as to current value?

Before anyone asks, no, it will not ever be for sale, even if worth 4 figures. Dad passed a week ago. I always told him I would open it at his funeral. However, it didn't seem appropriate. Instead, I plan to open it after his headstone is placed and have a drink with him. After that, it will only be opened on those extra special occasions.

Myself, I discovered Bourbon 3-4 years ago. I guess I would call myself an enthusiast, trying to expand my horizons whenever I can.

Thanks!

Jim

IMG_20210726_175934450_HDR~4.jpg

IMG_20210726_175807539_HDR~2.jpg

• I like it 4

I would be more interested in what it tastes like than what it’s worth.  Glad to hear you are drinking it.  Please share your notes once you do.  

I have no idea what it's worth,  and once it is opened it will be worth exactly what it was  purchased for -  the sublime enjoyment of a moment in time.   I'm sorry you didn't get to enjoy it with your dad.

1 hour ago, Jim R. said:

Hello! This is my first post. This is a bottle I purchased and gave my Dad when it was first released. Just a dumb luck purchase by a naive kid. For some reason, Dad refused to open it. Purely for curiosity's sake, does anyone with product and/or auction knowledge have any input as to current value?

Before anyone asks, no, it will not ever be for sale, even if worth 4 figures. Dad passed a week ago. I always told him I would open it at his funeral. However, it didn't seem appropriate. Instead, I plan to open it after his headstone is placed and have a drink with him. After that, it will only be opened on those extra special occasions.

Myself, I discovered Bourbon 3-4 years ago. I guess I would call myself an enthusiast, trying to expand my horizons whenever I can.

Thanks!

Jim

IMG_20210726_175934450_HDR~4.jpg

IMG_20210726_175807539_HDR~2.jpg

This really isn’t the right site to look for secondary market value information. There is probably a market for this type of bottle, but I certainly wouldn’t be expecting this to go for thousands by any means. If you were going to sell it, you wouldn’t get top dollar for it anyway with a big crack in the wax. 

Enjoy it when you get around to the headstone. The whiskey in that bottle isn’t really anything special, but the memory should be

• I like it 1

22 minutes ago, BottledInBond said:

The whiskey in that bottle isn’t really anything special, but the memory should be

It might be very special whiskey, and the occasion will be extraordinary. 

I think that's great you plan to open it to celebrate installation of the head stone.

My in laws are currently in the process of selecting the monument for my father in law.  Multiple people involved.  Talk about keeping all the cats in the wheelbarrow.  I'll truly celebrate a nice pour when it's up.

Anyway, I've been helping my mother in law.  Lots of unusual things found in the house.  If I don't know, I look up on Ebay to find if other people are trying to sell same item.  I suppose you could check some sites that sell rare or unusual whiskies. 

Sorry for your loss and that you couldn’t enjoy it with your father before he passed. I really hope you and your family can enjoy the bottle and celebrate the great memories you all had of your dad.

Sorry for your loss. Would be interested to hear your thoughts when you do open and taste. Neat piece of bourbon history. In terms of value I was able to google multiple auction results in less than a minute for this same batch, with one from https://whisky.auction/ having a similar crack in the wax. If it were me, I would make the same choice as you - drink it. Much more worthwhile of a memory and experience than whatever a little cash would buy short-term.

Edited by dad-proof

Dads from a much older generation tend to be very loyal the brand they drink, much more so than anyone under 50 now days. I am sure he viewed it as very special and wanted to save it for just the right occasion. 

If my dad would have lived he would be 93 now. He always drank Evan Williams Black. I would occasionally take him a bottle of what I considered better bourbon and he never drank it, even if I opened it when I came over. He always stuck to his Evan Black. 

Your heart is in the right place as dads can be very hard to shop for. When you do open it, a flood of memories will rush in and you will get very emotional. Trust me on that. 

Sorry for your loss.

Thank you for all of your replies. My apologies if I posted this in the wrong forum. My question merely stemmed from my curiosity, as I am a collector of other things (coins and diecast, foremost). I had researched this, but couldn't find anything within the last 2-3 years. The sentimental value of this is greater for me than ANY monetary value. I will enjoy this in the near future in memoriam to my Dad and my son, who now rest near one another.

Thank you again!

Jim

• I like it 6

7 hours ago, Jim R. said:

Thank you for all of your replies. My apologies if I posted this in the wrong forum. My question merely stemmed from my curiosity, as I am a collector of other things (coins and diecast, foremost). I had researched this, but couldn't find anything within the last 2-3 years. The sentimental value of this is greater for me than ANY monetary value. I will enjoy this in the near future in memoriam to my Dad and my son, who now rest near one another.

Thank you again!

Jim

Diecast you say? Which ones? I'm a redline HotWheel collector (with a minor in Matchbox and Corgi)

To stay on topic, I also collect a lot of bourbon!

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.