A heretic’s blending notes

Jasper Zinfandel

I have begun the heretical practice of mixing bourbons from different distilleries. Before you burn me at the stake, please know that I started doing this to “improve” expensive bourbon I am not crazy about.

My first blend is Widow Jane 10 year and Old Ezra.  OE is SO big mid-palate and WJ is really weak mid-palate. I like OE better, but it could use some toning down. WJ just sits on my bar unconsumed. WJ added to OE in 50/50 proportions brings a surprisingly good result. 

CB1792B5-96A8-4096-AEBA-ECF65328B8DF.jpeg

• I like it 5

14 hours ago, Jasper Zinfandel said:

I have begun the heretical practice of mixing bourbons from different distilleries. Before you burn me at the stake, please know that I started doing this to “improve” expensive bourbon I am not crazy about.

Not a heretical practice at all.  NDPs, such as Barrell Craft Spirits, do it all the time. 

• I like it 2

23 hours ago, Jasper Zinfandel said:

This is simple  Just add WSR to any bourbon you're not that crazy about.  It makes just about everything taste better.

• I like it 5

On 8/14/2021 at 7:20 PM, Kepler said:

This is simple  Just add WSR to any bourbon you're not that crazy about.  It makes just about everything taste better.

Easier said than done.  Sadly, I haven't seen a bottle of WSR available on the shelf for over a year here in the SF Bay Area.  I'm just nursing the few bottles I have in my stash.  Maybe I should plan a visit to Texas...

• I like it 1

3 hours ago, fosmith said:

Easier said than done.  Sadly, I haven't seen a bottle of WSR available on the shelf for over a year here in the SF Bay Area.  I'm just nursing the few bottles I have in my stash.  Maybe I should plan a visit to Texas...

My nephew lives in northeastern Texas (Denton area), and tells me everything from BT is as impossible to find in his part of the state as it is around here.

• I like it 1

On 8/16/2021 at 9:36 AM, fosmith said:

Come on over fosmith.  I'll roll out the Weller carpet for you!

• I like it 3

• 2 weeks later...
On 8/13/2021 at 10:47 PM, Jasper Zinfandel said:

I have begun the heretical practice of mixing bourbons from different distilleries. ...

heretic!!  where's the matches.  Okay to defend ya if the villagers rampage the gates.  I've had some great success with this (GTS+Laphroairg) but an incredible ungodly failure was a ECBP that was less than meh with the dregs of an EC18 that became rotten, result caustic, but I'll finish it some day, God willing, or Satan.

• I like it 2

1 hour ago, steven s said:

GTS and Laphroaig? 

yep.  quite good and eye opener, most valuable vat I've done.  before, I enjoyed peats but knew I was missing it.  This GTS vat let me understand there indeed was whisky in the smoke, and now I appreciate peats.  now I get the whisky more than smoke.  that was decade ago when GTS was easy to be had.

• I like it 1

On 9/2/2021 at 1:09 AM, steven s said:

i may have to try a mini-vatting of this...

ER10 might work as well?  Or even maybe a WT or HH product?  Now ya got me thinking, later this month maybe I'll do side by sides of several mini-vats with different whiskeys and laphroig.  

• I like it 1

10 hours ago, mal00768 said:

I assume Stagg jr and Laphroaig would work just fine.

🤢

• I like it 4

On 9/1/2021 at 12:34 AM, steven s said:

GTS and Laphroaig? 

Who knows?    I haven't either of those libations at the moment,   but here in real time I'm gonna mix up a 50/50 blend of Statesman 'n  Bruichladdich.

StatesLaddie?

Here goes:   The Laddie's unpeated,  but gives off a marine note that, on the nose, cuts through the vanillas from the Statesman.   But the bourbon bears the additional maltiness well.   Just robust and bursting with flavors that, shockingly,  play nice with each other.     I've got to screw around with proportions but this seems to make more sense to me than HW's Campfire  where the peaty note just stood out like a wart on Basel Hayden's nose.  Laddie is more like a highland scotch than an Islay,   I find the marine character freaky given the lack of peat and where they store their barrels,  but the Laddie really matches well with a bourbon of more or less the same proof.  

Edited by Jazzhead
  • I like it 4

On 9/1/2021 at 12:34 AM, steven s said:

GTS and Laphroaig? 

Ive found that GTS and Glenlivet founders reserve blends together to make in incredible scotch more so than a malty bourbon. 

• I like it 3

16 hours ago, Jazzhead said:

Who knows?    I haven't either of those libations at the moment,   but here in real time I'm gonna mix up a 50/50 blend of Statesman 'n  Bruichladdich.

10 hours ago, clearmoon247 said:

Ive found that GTS and Glenlivet founders reserve blends together to make in incredible scotch more so than a malty bourbon. 

You guys sent my imagination into overdrive.  I've lots of whiskey and whisky.  

To quote Macbeth:

Double, double toil and trouble;

Fire burn and caldron bubble.

Fillet of a fenny snake,

In the caldron boil and bake;

Eye of newt and toe of frog,

Wool of bat and tongue of dog,

Adder's fork and blind-worm's sting,

Lizard's leg and howlet's wing,

For a charm of powerful trouble,

Like a hell-broth boil and bubble.

Double, double toil and trouble;

Fire burn and caldron bubble.

Cool it with a baboon's blood,

Then the charm is firm and good.

• I like it 2

On 8/13/2021 at 10:47 PM, Jasper Zinfandel said:

My first blend is Widow Jane 10 year and Old Ezra.  OE is SO big mid-palate and WJ is really weak mid-palate. I like OE better, but it could use some toning down. WJ just sits on my bar unconsumed. WJ added to OE in 50/50 proportions brings a surprisingly good result. 

CB1792B5-96A8-4096-AEBA-ECF65328B8DF.jpeg

I'll agree that the Old Ezra needs some toning down. Never thought of blending it, though. Good idea.

• I like it 1

On 9/4/2021 at 8:10 AM, Jazzhead said:

... I find the marine character freaky given the lack of peat and where they store their barrels,  but the Laddie really matches well with a bourbon of more or less the same proof.  

In my Bruichladdich review, I noted that it had to have absorbed some peat just from the Angel's Share in the air 😂

• I like it 1

• 4 months later...

guessed this was as good a thread as any:

Initial tastings of my recent Beam blend of equal parts 11.5 year KC store pick bottled in 2018, the "mystery" (Beam) 15 year 78.5 corn mashbill bourbon released in a # of different guises, and JB distiller's cut. Average age 10.5 yrs, 109p. Looking forward to trying it again down the road.

• I like it 1

My most recent solera bottle is an attempt to improve a rather harsh and unbalanced Noah's Mill.   About 40% NM blended with 30% George Remus and 30% WT 101 Rye does the trick quite nicely.   

• I like it 1

1 hour ago, Jazzhead said:

My most recent solera bottle is an attempt to improve a rather harsh and unbalanced Noah's Mill.   About 40% NM blended with 30% George Remus and 30% WT 101 Rye does the trick quite nicely.   

This is an excellent experiment, please let me know how it turns out.  Every time I try Noah's Mill, it leaves me wanting, just continually falls short.

Looking forward to the results!

• I like it 1

11 hours ago, PhantomLamb said:

This is an excellent experiment, please let me know how it turns out.  Every time I try Noah's Mill, it leaves me wanting, just continually falls short.

Looking forward to the results!

It's getting there, but it still needs work.   The NM is not easy to work with,  and I think the WT Rye may have been too much of a blunt instrument.   I think I will add more sweet Remus to the mix.   

• I like it 2

• 2 weeks later...

I have been threatening to blend equal parts of Redwood Empire Lost Monarch (too much rye for me at 60%) with Mellow Corn (all corn and pretty undrinkable for me) to end up with a mash bill of around 30% rye, which is in my wheelhouse.  Sounds like it will be God-awful but who knows?

• I like it 1

11 hours ago, IamMatt said:

I have been threatening to blend equal parts of Redwood Empire Lost Monarch (too much rye for me at 60%) with Mellow Corn (all corn and pretty undrinkable for me) to end up with a mash bill of around 30% rye, which is in my wheelhouse.  Sounds like it will be God-awful but who knows?

Who are you threatening?  The bottles?

• I like it 1