ICE alternates

Whiskey_Trent
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

I’m hit or miss whether I am drinking bourbon on ice or neat. Generally I like to drink high proof with ice to dilute a bit, but can’t do the same with lower proof whiskey. Too much dilution after the first sip or two. But I still like bourbon chilled. What are the ice alternates out there that people like? I did stainless steel stones but I got that metallic taste. Curious to know everyone’s thoughts. 

Honestly I haven't found anything better than sticking the bottle or glass in the freezer. Those whisky stones are shit and ice can have contaminants or over dilute.

• I like it 2

I'll echo what @mal00768said, just put it in the freezer. 

I'd be willing to bet 50% or more of the regular contributors of these forums keep at least 1 bottle in their freezer. 

• I like it 2

I do like the whiskey stones (Scotch rocks) but they warm up pretty quickly.  I will even use them in cocktails.  I have a large stainless steel ball that just barely fits in my old fashioned glass that I like to use.  It stays cold a LONG time.  It feels like it has some kind of liquid inside it.  I've never noticed any metallic taste at all from it.  I've also never gotten any taste from the whiskey stones.

I just tried to google it and didn't find it, but a client of mine recently served me a Hibiki 21 in a glass/coaster combo that keeps the whiskey cold without ice.

Basically, the base (or coaster) has a hump in the middle and the glass (rocks glass size) has an indentation that receives the hump. The base is somehow chilled, especially the hump, so whenever the glass is on the base it's being chilled. Very effective.

On 10/20/2021 at 8:49 PM, JCwhammie said:

I'll echo what @mal00768said, just put it in the freezer. 

I'd be willing to bet 50% or more of the regular contributors of these forums keep at least 1 bottle in their freezer. 

Guilty, as charged, but I only keep cheap whiskey in the freezer, like 4RYL or Mellow Corn.   

• I like it 2

1 hour ago, Skinsfan1311 said:

Guilty, as charged, but I only keep cheap whiskey in the freezer, like 4RYL or Mellow Corn.   

Same here but Ancient Age 80 proof for me.  It's delicious ice cold...

• I like it 2

1 hour ago, Skinsfan1311 said:

I agree but with one exception. I enjoy WTRB out of the freezer from time to time. 

• I like it 2

14 minutes ago, JCwhammie said:

I agree but with one exception. I enjoy WTRB out of the freezer from time to time. 

That's a winner! 

I'm not crazy about bottles with corks in the freezer, unless I could stand them upright, which I can't in that fancy "French Door" setup that Mrs. Skinfan had to have 😉

If I had room in the freezer, I'd have a few more bottles.   WT101 & OGD114 come to mind....

• I like it 3

When I see the title of this thread, I don't think of whiskey.  I guess that is the sign of times.  

Small cube of ice > freezer if you need to cool your whiskey.  One, a little water often liberates flavor. Two, while your freezer can hold a few bottles of whiskey.  You need to make sure you have enough room for your ice cream.

Seriously, when you want to chill your bourbon - higher proof - ice.  Lower proof - freezer. 

• I like it 2

• 3 weeks later...

Try a few drops, or even a half teaspoon of water rather than ice. The water does complicated chemistry stuff and opens up the booze while generally mellowing it out a bit. Ice does the opposite and closes off a lot of the flavor.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.