Jump to content

Sazerac building new facility in Indiana


Jazz June
 Share

Recommended Posts

I visited Charlestown over the summer.  The new Sazerac facility will be adjacent the state park.  We were there to visit the park.  It's on the Ohio River.  I think it's about 17 miles from Louisville.  From the observation deck in the park, you can see the I 65 bridge to Louisville.  Charlestown State Park has an area called Rose Island.  It's the ghost town of an amusement park that got destroyed by the river in the 1930s and never rebuilt.  Also a sizable part of the park is "restricted area".  The government made munitions there in WW II.  There are old buildings and industrial stuff there, so it's not safe for visitors (park staff told me when I asked about it).

Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, PaulO said:

I visited Charlestown over the summer.  The new Sazerac facility will be adjacent the state park.  We were there to visit the park.  It's on the Ohio River.  I think it's about 17 miles from Louisville.  From the observation deck in the park, you can see the I 65 bridge to Louisville.  Charlestown State Park has an area called Rose Island.  It's the ghost town of an amusement park that got destroyed by the river in the 1930s and never rebuilt.  Also a sizable part of the park is "restricted area".  The government made munitions there in WW II.  There are old buildings and industrial stuff there, so it's not safe for visitors (park staff told me when I asked about it).

Sounds charming!  🤪

 

Regarding this new distillery, if it will be producing bourbon and rye, my first thought is that it will throw a wrench into the provenance theory clue that MGP would be the source of any NDP whiskey that shows Distilled in Indiana…. 😐

Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, smokinjoe said:

Sounds charming!  🤪

 

Regarding this new distillery, if it will be producing bourbon and rye, my first thought is that it will throw a wrench into the provenance theory clue that MGP would be the source of any NDP whiskey that shows Distilled in Indiana…. 😐

Yep! I also had that thought!

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Seriously, Rose Island is really cool to visit.  You had better be physically fit to walk the trail to get there.  The park disassembled and moved an antique bridge from elsewhere in Indiana, reassembled it over the creek separating Rose Island from the main land.  It's a high bluff overlooking the Ohio River.  The foundations of buildings remain.  There are signs with information and pictures that show how it was back in the day - a major tourist attraction for people in Louisville.  They came by steam boat.

It's all wilderness now.  My son got to see his first snake in the wild.

Edited by PaulO
Link to comment
Share on other sites

9 hours ago, PaulO said:

It's all wilderness now.  My son got to see his first snake in the wild.

 

First let me apologize to PaulO for steering the thread over the cliff, and taking your serious comment and making fun of it.   I have no intention of slighting you or anyone else.

 

Now This... Just for the sake of conversation, was that snake a Dem or Repub?   Sorry, I couldn't resist.

Carry on.....

Link to comment
Share on other sites

15 hours ago, Richnimrod said:

 

First let me apologize to PaulO for steering the thread over the cliff, and taking your serious comment and making fun of it.   I have no intention of slighting you or anyone else.

 

Now This... Just for the sake of conversation, was that snake a Dem or Repub?   Sorry, I couldn't resist.

Carry on.....

Considering location was Southern Indiana, odds are overwhelmingly Republican.

  • I like it 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Yeah, when you guys are buying more Indiana made bourbon, who will be laughing then?

 

Indiana, home of the other whiskey-making Lawrenceburg.

  • I like it 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

If Sazerac asked me, I'd say use the new facility to make the wheat mash bill Bourbon non stop.  Build a gift shop/visitors center.

Charlestown is a great location with the river, the state park, a small town.  It's truly a nice place to visit.

  • I like it 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
 Share

×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.