counterfeits

steven s
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

Firewall ?  

Can you post gist of article, not that I don't think I can guess.....

It's behind a paywall but I can give you a gist based on twitter commentary.

Before that though, it's been well known that counterfeiting has been happening for a while now with the most desirable LE's. 

What Clay Risen is saying in this article is that the counterfeiting has now crept down to the rung below with items such as ECBP.

So the takeaway is: if you buy ANYTHING on the secondary market, caveat emptor. That Weller 12 you just bought might actually be Maker's Mark 101 with a bit of water added.

• I like it 2

I think what struck me as the most interesting (and something I hadn't thought much about before) is the theory that people on the inside could possibly be providing seals, labels, neck tags, etc.  to some of these operations.

• I like it 1

A bottle of Old Rip goes for $1200 now. And the others are even more crazy. So sure, I’d believe there are some inside players. Stupid

Good thing I drink mostly inexpensive stuff, don't have to worry about this sort of thing. 😄

I would not trust to buy anything with unknown provenance, anything that had been in someone's private collection.  Funny how some bottles move through several collections before they get flagged.

I also would worry about shady bars and restaurants refilling bottles.  Chances are, bottle has already been opened, no way to examine seal.

I watched a show about the guy that faked a fortune in red wine.  He would mix several wines together.  That way it didn't taste exactly like anything people would instantly identify.  Also confounds people trying something new to them.

Provenance and experience with the genuine article are the key.

Edited by PaulO
  • I like it 1

Too lazy to look, but are they still selling empty Pappy bottles and bags on ebay? 😉

Biba! Joe

6 hours ago, fishnbowljoe said:

Too lazy to look, but are they still selling empty Pappy bottles and bags on ebay? 😉

Biba! Joe

Yup.  $25 for a PVW23 hang tag.  BTAC bottles, boxes, PVW 20 & 23 bags - sheesh.   🤬 

• I like it 1

20 hours ago, 0895 said:

I think what struck me as the most interesting (and something I hadn't thought much about before) is the theory that people on the inside could possibly be providing seals, labels, neck tags, etc.  to some of these operations.

I seem to recall some insiders stealing bourbon several years ago.  People do crazy things.  I would think even something like stealing labels, neck tags, etc. would be a federal crime.

1 hour ago, mbroo5880i said:

I seem to recall some insiders stealing bourbon several years ago.  People do crazy things.  I would think even something like stealing labels, neck tags, etc. would be a federal crime.

There’s actually a show on Netflix about “Pappygate”. I believe it’s part of a docu-series called “Heist”. The last two episodes are “The Bourbon King”, and are about the Pappy theft at BT.

Biba! Joe

• I like it 2

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.