For those of you with a decent amount of bottles..How do you?

PJMac
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

As I put in the title, for those of you with larger bottle counts; How do you, or do you, have a method for keeping track of what you have?

Admittedly, I have a mid-sized amount of bottles, at the moment, just north of 80 and I already started building a spreadsheet (with data sets to speed up entry). I imagine there are full blown commercial applications, but as a hobbyist, I don't need something that robust (obviously), but do want to keep track of what I have. More than anything to not repeat buy bottles I may already have and forgot about. 

I'd like to hear how you all with bigger collections go about it. 

Screen Shot 2022-01-16 at 11.53.53 AM.png

Same basic premise with an Excel spreadsheet for Scotch. Helps to avoid duplicity with independent bottlings. For the other spirits, I just try to remember— and gift any duplicates.

• I like it 1

I put together an excel spreadsheet for my wine collection but haven't for my bourbon/brandy.  I kind of like the surprise of opening a box and finding something that I forgot I had and could never buy now...  But, for insurance purposes, it's probably a good idea to have some kind of record, backed by photos, of the collection since the insurance company likely won't take your word for it that you had valuable bottles in your collection if it gets destroyed in a fire... 

• I like it 1

I used to keep a spreadsheet but never kept up with it. I hover around 150 bottles so not that many to remember like a lot of you. Although I do enjoy finding the occasional "surprise". Bottles are kinda spread out around the house. There's the main "display" cabinet, the small portable bar, my closet, a cabinet in the living room, a closet in the basement, etc. 🤷‍♂️

About once a year I pull it all together for an inventory of sorts and take pics to document it.

• I like it 2

Similar Excel spreadsheet but with more info - Label, Distillery (or bottler and suspected source), parent co, age statement, proof, flavor grain, bottle notes if LE, SiB, PS, etc.  Got 180 labels on the list so far which doesn't count multiple entries for different SiBs or batches like SWUc&Uf, WR, MMCS, KCsib, etc., or multiple bunkered bottles of the exact same labels (counted separately).  Only thing I don't include is price - guaranteed heart attack if I faced the reality of what I've spent the past several  years - want to stick around at least a little longer knocking a big hole in the bunker...

In 2010 I began to periodically download the full ratings list from LAWS into Excel. I used that as my database, and added only three columns: Row no., Have?, Quantity.

Every few months I would download a new full list, as it would include a number of new ratings. They removed the ability to download the full list (in 2013 I think), and I have been using a September 2013 version as my database.

I use a much simpler Excel file for my Belgian ales!

Pat

• I like it 1

35 minutes ago, PowderKeg said:

Similar Excel spreadsheet but with more info - Label, Distillery (or bottler and suspected source), parent co, age statement, proof, flavor grain, bottle notes if LE, SiB, PS, etc.  Got 180 labels on the list so far which doesn't count multiple entries for different SiBs or batches like SWUc&Uf, WR, MMCS, KCsib, etc., or multiple bunkered bottles of the exact same labels (counted separately).  Only thing I don't include is price - guaranteed heart attack if I faced the reality of what I've spent the past several  years - want to stick around at least a little longer knocking a big hole in the bunker...

LOL. Thanks, yeah my first iteration had the extra stuff you did. I waffled back and forth on the columns of data and then I just broke down and used the San Fran Spirits Competition results as a template. I might go back and add  extra data back in, particularly the tasting notes. 

FWIW, personally I also debated on putting the prices in there, not for me "directly", but out of fear that the Mrs. would see. haha

• I like it 1

I thought there was a risk of getting laughed at, using Excel for this, but I'm comically received to know that I'm amongst like folks. Cheers!

I use Excel for Mac. My problem is the same as a few others here. I keep forgetting to keep my spreadsheet updated. It’s only gotten worse since I retired last year on the first of September. Opening bottles, finishing bottles, bottles given to me as retirement gifts, and bottles that my son picks up for me. Not to mention a few I bought myself. :blink: Yeah I know, first world problems.  :ph34r:

Biba! Joe

• I like it 2

What CLueby wrote up above.  I used to keep track of wine and then bourbon/rye, but I always seemed to remember to update the lists maybe twice a year.  I learned it is MORE important to remember where I put the stuff (port under the basement steps hasn't been looked at since last year, for example).  While it drives my wife crazy, I try to keep the  children together even though WHERE they are is spread out (only one place in the basement/bunker, only one corner of the dining room, NO bottles hidden behind the dining room door even though there's great space there, etc., and only what fits in the trunk wheel well of my car).  Hence, when I check the bunker(s), it's like Christmas and birthday - "LOOK at what I just found!"

In other words, if it is not in plain view, it might not exist.  Like all those vintage ports I bought in the 1980s and 1990s regardless of whether it is on a list someplace.  Uh, and just where does one store lists so one can find it to update them?  ON a list of lists?????

• I like it 4

30 minutes ago, fishnbowljoe said:

I use Excel for Mac. My problem is the same as a few others here. I keep forgetting to keep my spreadsheet updated. It’s only gotten worse since I retired last year on the first of September. Opening bottles, finishing bottles, bottles given to me as retirement gifts, and bottles that my son picks up for me. Not to mention a few I bought myself. :blink: Yeah I know, first world problems.  :ph34r:

Biba! Joe

Totally get it. I used to be notoriously bad at putting in the time to create it, then not update. That was one of the reasons I went through the trouble of creating drop downs on some of the cells to speed up the process. It's the typing that drives me nuts. Side rant, it would be nice if the distilleries would be nice enough to either list the proof or ABV consistently. It's hard to create if/then formulas between to columns to do the simple /2 or *2. 🤣

I'm too lazy to put that much effort into it. 

Ryes with ryes.

Bourbon with bourbon.

Scotch with scotch and so on.

I try to keep 'em together by brand.

I have a pretty good idea of what's in the bunker.

I do admit, that it's fun to come across a bottle that you forgot you had.

• I like it 3

I used to maintain a spreadsheet that listed whiskeys in tiers based on how I rated them.  I used a rating scale of 0-100.  It was interesting to see how certain bottles like the old Willett WFEs and some stellar FR SiB BS compared to the more highly sought after LEs.   I also included whiskeys that I tried but may not have purchased a bottle.   It also allowed me to track inventory.

The laptop computer it was on crashed and I was unable to recover the spreadsheet.  So, now I just go off of memory.  

• I like it 2

2 hours ago, mbroo5880i said:

I used to maintain a spreadsheet that listed whiskeys in tiers based on how I rated them.  I used a rating scale of 0-100.  It was interesting to see how certain bottles like the old Willett WFEs and some stellar FR SiB BS compared to the more highly sought after LEs.   I also included whiskeys that I tried but may not have purchased a bottle.   It also allowed me to track inventory.

The laptop computer it was on crashed and I was unable to recover the spreadsheet.  So, now I just go off of memory.  

crashed, eh?

Pat

• I like it 3

11 hours ago, PJMac said:

FWIW, personally I also debated on putting the prices in there, not for me "directly", but out of fear that the Mrs. would see. haha

I'm sorry you lost all your bourbon in a boating accident. 😜

• I like it 2

5 minutes ago, Clueby said:

I'm sorry you lost all your bourbon in a boating accident. 😜

Jeeez Tim!  🤨

Biba! Joe

3 minutes ago, fishnbowljoe said:

Jeeez Tim!  🤨

Biba! Joe

That is the answer when someone asks how many guns you have.  "Sorry I lost all my guns in a boating accident."  I figured the same answer might work if asked about bourbon.

• I like it 4

I have an out of date list.  I plan on making a spreadsheet but that would mean a lot of work.  I would never put cost on any document.  That's evidence I don't need discovered.  

• I like it 2

26 minutes ago, berto said:

I have an out of date list.  I plan on making a spreadsheet but that would mean a lot of work.  I would never put cost on any document.  That's evidence I don't need discovered.  

THAT could apply to a whole lot of things of ours, eh???   🥵

• I like it 1

I started a spreadsheet many years ago, and used to keep it up religiously.  I would do a bi-annual inventory (usually when returning from Bardstown in April & September), as well as update bottle levels on a nightly basis if I poured from them.

With the pandemic, two things happened.

1. I had to transform the bedroom where I store the bottles into my work from home office, so it is crowded and doing a full inventory would be a lot more work

2. My intake definitely increased, which meant keeping daily tabs wasn't working (previously I would only pour 2-3x a week)

But similar thing; I like to know the bottle details (especially for single barrels that provide them), when I bought them, when I opened them, approximately how much is left, and when I last poured from them.  Sometimes I would use this to push myself to dig out a bottle that I really liked, but for whatever reason just haven't poured from in a long time.  The estimated fill levels (and size) gave me some idea of how many years of drinking I had on-hand (at 8 oz a week, looking at about 12 years IF I never bought/received another bottle). 

I put the price (knowing the risk if the wifey stumbles across it) mainly because if I didn't get to a bottle for a few years, I wanted to recall about what I paid for it.  I also periodically save a dated/copy of the spreadsheet as an archive.  My first archive was Jan 2015, and sometimes it's fun to look at what I had at the time, and what I had paid for them (like a bunch of Weller 12 at $23 per, or Macallan Cask Strength for $65, or OF Birthday for $35).  

1100876082_Screenshot2022-01-17071858.thumb.png.0c53a996c741ba1affccb104067dd834.png

• I like it 2

1 minute ago, GaryT said:

I started a spreadsheet many years ago, and used to keep it up religiously.  I would do a bi-annual inventory (usually when returning from Bardstown in April & September), as well as update bottle levels on a nightly basis if I poured from them.

With the pandemic, two things happened.

1. I had to transform the bedroom where I store the bottles into my work from home office, so it is crowded and doing a full inventory would be a lot more work

2. My intake definitely increased, which meant keeping daily tabs wasn't working (previously I would only pour 2-3x a week)

But similar thing; I like to know the bottle details (especially for single barrels that provide them), when I bought them, when I opened them, approximately how much is left, and when I last poured from them.  Sometimes I would use this to push myself to dig out a bottle that I really liked, but for whatever reason just haven't poured from in a long time.  The estimated fill levels (and size) gave me some idea of how many years of drinking I had on-hand (at 8 oz a week, looking at about 12 years IF I never bought/received another bottle). 

I put the price (knowing the risk if the wifey stumbles across it) mainly because if I didn't get to a bottle for a few years, I wanted to recall about what I paid for it.  I also periodically save a dated/copy of the spreadsheet as an archive.  My first archive was Jan 2015, and sometimes it's fun to look at what I had at the time, and what I had paid for them (like a bunch of Weller 12 at $23 per, or Macallan Cask Strength for $65, or OF Birthday for $35).  

1100876082_Screenshot2022-01-17071858.thumb.png.0c53a996c741ba1affccb104067dd834.png

You young pups know this stuff - I still need my grandkids to help me with my flip phone.  All I know is that my hooch is located somewhere in the basement.  SWMBO has banned any random bottles from the closets, bedrooms, dining room, living room, bathrooms, etc.  Well, manybe a few are allowed in the dining room.  At least the ones she can see.   :ph34r:

• I like it 2

I started out with this, which I used when family and friends were over and wanted to try something.  It's slightly out of date and I either need to update it or just forget about it.  Probably should do an Excel file for it.

Slide1.JPG

• I like it 3

29 minutes ago, CardsandBourbon said:

I started out with this, which I used when family and friends were over and wanted to try something.  It's slightly out of date and I either need to update it or just forget about it.  Probably should do an Excel file for it.

Slide1.JPG

I really like the menu concept!   Now if there was a way to take the spreadsheet and populate the menu......

I wish I was good at what us old people call  "computer work".

I don't keep track of what I have (using what's left of my pea brain).  I prefer to forget I have some of the bottles in my collection so that I can rediscover them at a later date.  I put some of my rare stuff in a box under the counter and then cover it with other bottles that I stack on top.  Making it a chore to pull its contents out.  Sadly, I don't forget much.  There has been the occasional gem as I rummage through the space under my countertop bar.  It always puts a smile on my face as I proceed to opening the bottle for a fresh pour.  Now, I DO keep track of the pours I put into my two infinity bottles, but that's a separate topic for another thread.

• I like it 2

I use an app called Cellatracker.  I used it initially for my wine, but realized that so many other spirits including whisky are there. I'm able to filter between wine, whiskey, and my other spirits.  Also has some cool printouts where it prints out "restaurant style."  Initially it was a pain to input data, but it's now habit to update as the bottles come in and as the bottles get drank.  Also, there is an input field for price if you want which is scary to look at when bored and reviewing the data haha.

A little snippet from the desktop version and a snippet of the "restaurant style" report extract.  

image.thumb.png.069850172447f0876791e9eb0c5bcfaf.png

image.png.cd4a9eb9945cc66cf6da904d0ff49e8b.png

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.