Missing Linck Yeast Was Found in an Abandoned Lagering Cellar, Now It Has Its Own Holiday

fishnbowljoe
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

Another news article for the beer lovers. I know this is mostly of regional interest, but it’s pretty intriguing, and there’s a bit of history involved. 😎

🍻 Bottoms up! 🍺 

https://www.msn.com/en-us/foodanddrink/foodnews/missing-linck-yeast-was-found-in-an-abandoned-lagering-cellar-now-it-has-its-own-holiday/ar-AAXq3Rp?li=BBnb7Kz

• I like it 5

Thanks Joe, I like the old style German lagers, unfortunately they are increasingly more difficult to find.  These days it's IPA or fruit flavored beers that are popular.  Such is life.

• I like it 2

Yeast cells can go dormant for long spans of time, then start growing again when the conditions are suitable.  The oldest I've heard was culture started from sediment remaining in ancient Egyptian pottery vessels (several thousand years old).

A story I read on BBC, bottle conditioned ale from a cold water ship wreck from the 1800s, brewers got a culture going from a sample.

• I like it 2

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.