Drinkmaker Suntory targets US market as Japanese ditch alcohol

fishnbowljoe
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

Take all the higher end Bourbon labels the U.S. legacy distillers sell only in Japan (maybe Europe) - send those here. 🤩

• I like it 3

17 minutes ago, PaulO said:

Take all the higher end Bourbon labels the U.S. legacy distillers sell only in Japan (maybe Europe) - send those here. 🤩

Wait! What?!?!    I want the actual bottles of those hard-to-source (and in many cases), much-sought-after to appear on my local purveyor's shelf!   ...Not just the labels! HA! 😉😆

3 hours ago, Erk Russel Reserve said:

Covid has ruined everything, but maybe US bourbon enthusiasts will get the silver lining?!?

Welllll... Don't count yer chickens just yet.   Anything that impacts the bottom line for our Bourbon distillers will eventually bode ill for ALL of us.   It could result in a short-term gain in the possibly greater availability of well-aged stocks that had been intended for overseas markets coming to shelves near us... or not.    It could also . . . eventually . . .  cause a (small scale) 'glut' similar to what drove the distilleries to bottle (or blend into) some often wonderful and even occasionally 'over-aged' Bourbon into pretty mundane-labeled bottles.    I don't imagine the distilleries will allow a deep glut as in 70's, 80's and 90's to get that far, or last that long.   But, as is always the case the consumption and price tolerance of the market will dictate a good deal of that.    It'll be interesting, of some of this comes to pass, for sure.

On 9/8/2022 at 3:15 AM, Richnimrod said:

Welllll... Don't count yer chickens just yet.   Anything that impacts the bottom line for our Bourbon distillers will eventually bode ill for ALL of us.   It could result in a short-term gain in the possibly greater availability of well-aged stocks that had been intended for overseas markets coming to shelves near us... or not.    It could also . . . eventually . . .  cause a (small scale) 'glut' similar to what drove the distilleries to bottle (or blend into) some often wonderful and even occasionally 'over-aged' Bourbon into pretty mundane-labeled bottles.    I don't imagine the distilleries will allow a deep glut as in 70's, 80's and 90's to get that far, or last that long.   But, as is always the case the consumption and price tolerance of the market will dictate a good deal of that.    It'll be interesting, of some of this comes to pass, for sure.

A sort of similar thing recently happened with Scotch.  About 10 years ago, age statements were removed from almost all low to mid shelf bottles.  Many offerings such as JW Green 15 YO and Famous Grouse Vatted Malt 18 YO were also only sold in very select markets.  The thinking was that China would have the same thirst for Scotch as the Asian Tigers (HK, Taiwan, etc) and obliterate stocks.  However, this spike in demand never materialized as China preferred drinking local white spirit and there was also enforcement of anti-corruption laws which limited social drinking (very stiff) with government officials.  Age Statement have been coming back, but I don't think prices have gone down :(

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.