Mixing gold ions into whiskey can reveal its flavor

Freakdog
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

Story time. Back at my alma mater FSU Physics (Go 'Noles!) they have a linear accelerator down in the basement, which they use for various nuclear structure and astrophysics related experiments. Colliding various isotopes sometimes produces gold ions. The LHC over in Switzerland does this too as well as platinum. However in general its in very very small amounts and costs lots of energy to do these collisions. But supposedly some local business man called up an FSU professor once cause he wanted to invest in what he thought was large scale synthetic gold production. 🤣

But if all we need is a few ions, this could work. It would be great marketing material at least. Sorta like when Nancy added a couple of drops of 100 year old Magnus to flavor her first blend of the new stuff. I'm sure we could all taste it blind.

• I like it 3

5 hours ago, Freakdog said:

FYI  Thought this might be of interest.

https://www.sciencenews.org/article/whiskey-flavor-gold-ions-chemistry

Anyone with spare gold on hand?  

I got a college class ring that hasn't fit me in forty years.  I'd be glad to dip it in any bottle of bourbon you want to send me,  I also will exact ONLY a fee of 100ml of pre-dunked bourbon.  You pay shipment in and out and also cover any fines for sending alcohol via USPS if we get caught.

FAIR?😉

• I like it 1

This is crazy!  I wonder if you swirled gold ions in @GeeTen's belly you could determine how much liquor he has taken in?  😀😜

Now, researchers have demonstrated that swirling gold ions into a whiskey can reveal how much flavor the liquor has taken in — a quality called agedness.

• I like it 3

On 10/28/2022 at 4:20 PM, mal00768 said:

FSU Physics (Go 'Noles!) they have a linear accelerator down in the basement, which they use for various nuclear structure and astrophysics related experiments. Colliding various isotopes sometimes produces

Sounds like something only Frank could love. 😝

• I like it 1

1 hour ago, mbroo5880i said:

This is crazy!  I wonder if you swirled gold ions in @GeeTen's belly you could determine how much liquor he has taken in?  😀😜

Now, researchers have demonstrated that swirling gold ions into a whiskey can reveal how much flavor the liquor has taken in — a quality called agedness.

1 hour ago, FacePlant said:

Sounds like something only Frank could love. 😝

Make it a double? 🤤

Biba! Joe

• I like it 2

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.