Newbie question

JKaniac
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

In 2007 my father gave me a bottle of George T. Stagg (72.4%, 144.8 proof) barrel proof bourbon.  It could have been bottled in 2006 or 2007.  I placed it in the back of the liquor cabinet waiting for a good opportunity to partake with friends and that time never came.  I fell upon it last night and googled it.  Was sort of surprised a the $$ amount showing on Google from online shops.  Is there something special about this Bourbon and/or the year that makes it valuable?

Thanks for any input.

PXL_20221104_110925315.jpg

PXL_20221104_110922030.jpg

Mostly it is just a very limited sought after bourbon.  Each year's release is close but a little different.  So like anything collectible, older bottles cost more than recent version.  It is excellent bourbon.  i wouldn't wait for a special occasion.  Make today that occasion.  It's barrel proof so that bottle will last plenty long enough for you to still share a fair amount with friends. 

• I like it 8

It's part of the very limited Buffalo Trace Antique Collection, BT Distillery's ultra premium line.  2007 release.  It's not age stated but these are usually bottled at 15 years of age so probably distilled in 1992.  Since it's a hazmat (over 140 proof) bottle, it's more a sought after release than recent editions that have been lower proof.  Your father made a good investment there.  He probably only paid around $60 for it. 

So, open that baby up and share it with friends/family.  You don't need a special occasion; just opening it will be a special occasion.  If you're not used to drinking high proof cask strength bourbon, it will blow your mind.  Even if you are, it will blow your mind.  GTS is one of the greatest bourbons on the planet, IMO. 

• I like it 2

What they all said.  My intro to GTS was a hefty shot of the 2016 release which I bought after a lunch at a great restaurant here in WashDC and sipped circa early 2017 while my wife ate a pecan pie ala mode slice.  I got the better dessert.  I drank the first half ounce neat over a half hour.  She wanted me to hurry, then tasted it. Told me to take my time with the rest.  Another half ounce neat then the second ounce with DROPS of water.  A two hour lunch I still remember.

Bottom line - bourbon is made for drinking.  Do not fear adding water a drop at a time.  GTS is made to be consumed.  Do not just stare at the label.  The label isn’t going anyplace.  And remember how you got it as you taste it.  That is important.

Edited by Harry in WashDC
  • I like it 5

3 hours ago, Harry in WashDC said:

What they all said.  My intro to GTS was a hefty shot of the 2016 release which I bought after a lunch at a great restaurant here in WashDC and sipped circa early 2017 while my wife ate a pecan pie ala mode slice.  I got the better dessert.  I drank the first half ounce neat over a half hour.  She wanted me to hurry, then tasted it. Told me to take my time with the rest.  Another half ounce neat then the second ounce with DROPS of water.  A two hour lunch I still remember.

Bottom line - bourbon is made for drinking.  Do not fear adding water a drop at a time.  GTS is made to be consumed.  Do not just stare at the label.  The label isn’t going anyplace.  And remember how you got it as you taste it.  That is important.

@Harry in WashDC You just described the ultimate trifecta.  Leisurely lunch with my wife, followed by pecan pie and GTS.  Apologies to Billy Joel (Piano Man), when I wore a younger man's close I might have made it into an afternoon quadfecta.  😀

To the original poster, I can tell you with certain the experience you will have drinking this bourbon will far exceed the lure of pricing you see at on-line websites.  Life is to be experienced not bought and sold. 

• I like it 1

A bottle of this release was cracked and shared amongst many at our group's Derby party this year. It is one of the best bourbons you will ever taste and I highly recommend you find the right moment(s) to drink it.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.