Bourbon, cognac, other spirits storage.

pvl7206953
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

Hi everyone. 

I live in hot and moist climate.

Over a years I have been buying different spirits. Whiskey, bourbon , etc.

Can somebody tell me what is proper way to store it? The wheather is very hot and summer temperatures can get to 40 Celsius.

I afraid to store them at room temperature. Can i put them into refrigerator? Some spirits i dont plan to open very soon. If it will be right to store them in the refrigerator???  Thank you

The main things to consider are always keep the liquor bottles standing (never on their side, that's only for wine with a cork) and away from sunlight.

• I like it 2

Remember, these are distilled spirits (i.e., evaporated and then condensed several times before barreling) so room temperature (in a non-sunny, non-vibrating place) should NOT hurt them.  The only "spirits" I store in a fridge are vermouths after opening; I go out of my way to buy 375 ml sized so I can get more open ones (red, white, bianco plus various brands) standing up in the fridge.  One note - I recently "found" an ancient Lagavulin 16 in the back of a cabinet (probably been there eight years behind some Frangelico and other seldom-used liqueurs).  The cork shredded when I tried to extract it.  HINT - DON'T throw out old wine and spirits corks and screwtops.  You never know when you'll need a replacement.  A port funnel/strainer is also handy even if you don't decant port.

• I like it 4

Yes i know this basic storage tips that keep away from sunlight and keep them up right position. The problem that our summer is very long, most of the year 8 month is summer. The air in the room becomes very hot. So i thought maybe this can hurt the spirits. Maybe it ruin the cork and air will enter the bottle. I dont know.

So thats why i thought to keep them in the fridge, the temperature is even all the time. The question is , will low temperature hurt the bottle same as high or it is keep it well.

Just before the consumption let it stand outside to get to room temperature then drink.

I had a cork pop in the hot Kentucky sun.  90 outside, Lord knows what it was in the trunk.  Thankfully the bottle was upright, so little liquor lost.

It was Nature's way of saying "Drink the WTRB".

On 1/29/2023 at 1:04 AM, pvl7206953 said:

Hi everyone. 

I live in hot and moist climate.

Over a years I have been buying different spirits. Whiskey, bourbon , etc.

Can somebody tell me what is proper way to store it? The wheather is very hot and summer temperatures can get to 40 Celsius.

I afraid to store them at room temperature. Can i put them into refrigerator? Some spirits i dont plan to open very soon. If it will be right to store them in the refrigerator???  Thank you

Welcome to SB.  You mentioned that summertime temps can get to 40 Celsius where you are (104 F for me) which is quite scorching.  But you also said that your'e afraid to store your bottles at room temperature. What temperature is 'room temperature' for you?  I hope it's not 40 Celsius!   For you and the whiskies' sake...

• I like it 2

11 hours ago, pvl7206953 said:

Yes i know this basic storage tips that keep away from sunlight and keep them up right position. The problem that our summer is very long, most of the year 8 month is summer. The air in the room becomes very hot. So i thought maybe this can hurt the spirits. Maybe it ruin the cork and air will enter the bottle. I dont know.

So thats why i thought to keep them in the fridge, the temperature is even all the time. The question is , will low temperature hurt the bottle same as high or it is keep it well.

Just before the consumption let it stand outside to get to room temperature then drink.

Hot temperatures won't hurt the whiskey. Whiskey in the barrel near the top of the rickhouse can be in 120 degree air. Now there's nothing wrong with keeping the bottles in a cool basement but the refrigerator is not necessary unless you want to enjoy an instant cool bourbon on a hot day, which some of us do.  We skip right to putting it in the freezer.

• I like it 2

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.