Okay...I'm a believer!

OneCubeOnly
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

I finally got a set of four Riedel Bourbon glasses. I never thought I'd hear myself say this, but they really *DO* improve the bourbon-tasting experience.

I had been using single-malt nosing glasses, which worked fine, but now in retrospect they seemed to concentrate the vapors a little too much. These new ones seem just right.

I can see what you guys have warned about though...the stem seems a little thin!

When I got into the whole bourbon thing, say 4 years ago, I thought glasses making a difference was all hype and bs... Then I got these glasses and my perceptions changed. I've got several variations now and I still find myself always going back to and loving the Riedel Bourbon Glasses compared to all the rest for a variety of reasons. Glad you got yourself some Gary and like them! toast.gif

Oh, the stem is a little thin but I kinda like it like that. I find the contour of it and its height perfect to rest the bottom of the glass on my middle finger while holding the stem perfectly with my index finger and thumb.

Oh, the stem is a little thin but I kinda like it like that. I find the contour of it and its height perfect to rest the bottom of the glass on my middle finger while holding the stem perfectly with my index finger and thumb.

I, too, like the contour, but hold the glass different from how you describe here. I slip the stem between my third finger and pinky, which allows the glass to rest in the palm of my hand, with my fingers curled around the bowl of glass. That allows a little warmth to enhance the flavor and aroma of the whiskey, much like a brandy snifter does for brandy or cognac.

Congrats! Imagine all those lost aromas and flavours over the years banghead.gif

toast.gif

I'm afraid I'm still only semi-sold. I have a set of the Riedel bourbon glasses (right, in picture below), and DO like them. But I like the set of 4 I got for $1 each (left) at a thrift shop better. The general style/shape is the same, with the difference only a matter of degree -- but I find I get a better noseful of aromas from the less-extreme tapering.

post-367-14489811539854_thumb.jpg

Congrats! Imagine all those lost aromas and flavours over the years

It's funny, because like Mark, I thought it was all a bunch of hooey! It was probably all the unbelieveable language like "proper presentation to the tongue" that initially turned me off. I'm a changed man now...it's not all bunk! Whoever designed these glasses must have given them a lot of thought and planning, because if there is a proper "presentation", then these are making it! lol.gif

Okay, next question: do you guys actually bring these to the gazebo!? If things come together and I can make the trip I envision myself drinking out of solo cups at THAT kind of event!!?!

Okay, next question: do you guys actually bring these to the gazebo!?

Funny you should ask that. In 2002 I used hotel cups from the room... Last year I brought 2 glasses (The Riedel bourbon glass) down with me wrapped up in bubble wrap in a cookie tin. My friend Chris brought his whole box of four with him! Trust me, if you can come which we hope you can Gary, bring glasses. It makes for a more enjoyable evening. I know it sounds dumb, but I really enjoy drinking out of these glasses. toast.gif

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks for bringing that up. I recently was "gifted" with the "official" flasks. I came home after missing out on my own bourbon brunch with the NY crew and found these little cuties on my dining room table in a gift bag. I asked Ben, "What the h*ll are these?" He said, "You have to go to the Festival to find out," and just laughed.

I think I'll bring both Riedel and the flasks to make for all kindsa fun.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.