What bourbon are you drinking this Spring - 2024

markandrex

A glass of OF 1920 tonight.

• I like it 1

On 5/14/2024 at 10:41 AM, fosmith said:

Last evening by the fire pit with my wife enjoying a nice pour of regular Larceny - lots of nice caramel sweetness.  This seems to get hate from a lot of people but, for me, it really hits the spot sometimes. 

I agree -- it's better than it gets credit for. 

I find it's funny how the BP version gets a significant amount of love from the tater community, but the same people turn their noses up at the regular version.  Says more about people than it does the whiskey.  Similar situation with ECBP vs EC94 and WSR vs OWA, but even more so.  I also find it funny when taters chase RR13 to no end (and pay hundreds of dollars for a bottle) when they don't even drink WT101 (and in many cases have never even purchased WT101 ever).  Crazy 😆

• I like it 1

Posted (edited)

Remus Repeal VI tonight.  I wanted some MGP tonight after a long-ish week at work, and since I'm in a bottle clearing mode, this Remus 6 gets the nod.  This is a meh bottle I won't be replacing so it goes into my "daily drinker" category now.   When I look at this way (instead it being a $91 bottle like I actually paid for it), it's actually a pretty decent pour. Hehe 🤷‍♂️

Edited by Kepler
  • I like it 3

Posted (edited)

I was out of WT101.  I know, crazy huh?  For some reason, I thought I needed a bottle but didn't want to drive to the next town (only 6 miles away) because it was too far.

So, after a scholarship presentation at the local high school, I decided to stop at the liquor store in my town. This was only the second time in the last 30 years I have been in this store.  However, I recall that among its minimal bourbon selection that it did carry WT.  I will admit that I was pleasantly surprised by the improved selection from the last visit whenever that was.  I was not surprised by the moderately higher prices for everyday bottles.  So, while perusing the selection and looking for WT101, the clerk asked what I was looking for.  When I told him, he said "it is two shelves over by the Seagrams 7."  He was an older man, maybe 15 years my senior.  He said "look to the right of the bottle with the big 7 on it."  I was looking but couldn't see it.  He said "fella, did someone drop you on your head? look for the f...king bottle with the big 7 on it, WT101 is to the right of it." Then I realized I had been looking to the left of "the big 7."  😀

I was the only person in the store and maybe the only person to buy a bottle whiskey all night.  I wasn't offended by his harried demeanor.  I have been in a crazy humorous mood all day and find it funny and smart-ass cracked back him until I left the store.  

I found a bottle of WT101 for about $4.00 more than I normally pay.  I even took two pennies from the spare change tray and told him "dude, you bled me dry, I need to steal from the tray pay for this bottle."  This must be one of the older bottles (from a few years back when the whiskey stocks were peaking) as this is the best tasting WT101 I have had in a long time.  It has that nice sweet yet smokey profile that I enjoy in WT101.  It was worth the extra $4.  Maybe I will tell the clerk next time I visit the store, probably in another 30 years.  🤪

In case you missed it, I am drinking WT101😀

Edited by mbroo5880i
  • I like it 2

11 minutes ago, mbroo5880i said:

I was out of WT101.  I know, crazy huh?  For some reason, I thought I needed a bottle but didn't want to drive to the next town (only 6 miles away) because it was too far.

So, after a scholarship presentation at the local high school, I decided to stop at the liquor store in my town. This was only the second time in the last 30 years I have been in this store.  However, I recall that among its minimal bourbon selection that it did carry WT.  I will admit that I was pleasantly surprised by the improved selection from the last visit whenever that was.  I was not surprised by the moderately higher prices for everyday bottles.  So, while perusing the selection and looking for WT101, the clerk asked what I was looking for.  When I told him, he said "it is two shelves over by the Seagrams 7."  He was an older man, maybe 15 years my senior.  He said "look to the right of the bottle with the big 7 on it."  I was looking but couldn't see it.  He said "fella, did someone drop you on your head? look for the f...king bottle with the big 7 on it, WT101 is to the right of it." Then I realized I had been looking to the left of "the big 7."  😀

I was the only person in the store and maybe the only person to buy a bottle whiskey all night.  I wasn't offended by his harried demeanor.  I have been in a crazy humorous mood all day and find it funny and smart-ass cracked back him until I left the store.  

I found a bottle of WT101 for about $4.00 more than I normally pay.  I even took two pennies from the spare change tray and told him "dude, you bled me dry, I need to steal from the tray pay for this bottle."  This must be one of the older bottles (from a few years back when the whiskey stocks were peaking) as this is the best tasting WT101 I have had in a long time.  It has that nice sweet yet smokey profile that I enjoy in WT101.  It was worth the extra $4.  Maybe I will tell the clerk next time I visit the store, probably in another 30 years.  🤪

In case you missed it, I am drinking WT101😀

Good liquor store story.  When I read something like this, it's like it scratches that itch to go shopping myself.  Thanks for saving me a trip to my local store this week. My wife thanks you as well.  😁

But seriously, if you really like that WT101, check out the laser code on the bottle and go back to the store to pick up a spare or two.  I'm sure you'll be glad you did.  Even if it's 4 bucks more than normal 😃

• I like it 1

Took the last bits of a 4R off the shelf SB and the same (roughly) amount of a 4RPS OESF and vatted the two. The result has been very pleasant and the longer it sits the better it gets and it started out great!!

maybe 2more pours after tonight’s and every drop shall be savored. The result clocks in around 107p which over the years has shown itself to be a particularly pleasant sipping proof to my palate (actually 100-109 as a general range has this effect)

• I like it 3

6 minutes ago, Kepler said:

Good liquor store story.  When I read something like this, it's like it scratches that itch to go shopping myself.  Thanks for saving me a trip to my local store this week. My wife thanks you as well.  😁

But seriously, if you really like that WT101, check out the laser code on the bottle and go back to the store to pick up a spare or two.  I'm sure you'll be glad you did.  Even if it's 4 bucks more than normal 😃

I did that a few years back and every sip of my 101 stores reminds me that it was a very good decision. I should maybe grab a current bottle and do a SBS, ya know for science 😎

• I like it 2

15 minutes ago, kcgumbohead said:

I did that a few years back and every sip of my 101 stores reminds me that it was a very good decision. I should maybe grab a current bottle and do a SBS, ya know for science 😎

Sort of like, Bill Nye, the Liquor Guy. 🤪

• I like it 1

Weller SR this evening. 🙂

• I like it 1

Yesterday was FR Sib Select, James Pepper and a WT101, all while watching the Rome open. 

• I like it 1

Yesterday was JDBIB. I picked the bottle up last week and I've been really enjoying it. It's got a lot of deep, intense flavor, but it's a sort of one-trick pony. Not a lot of different notes.

The aroma is bold but the finish is short.

13 hours ago, Kepler said:

I agree -- it's better than it gets credit for. 

I find it's funny how the BP version gets a significant amount of love from the tater community, but the same people turn their noses up at the regular version.  Says more about people than it does the whiskey.  Similar situation with ECBP vs EC94 and WSR vs OWA, but even more so.  I also find it funny when taters chase RR13 to no end (and pay hundreds of dollars for a bottle) when they don't even drink WT101 (and in many cases have never even purchased WT101 ever).  Crazy 😆

Well you know me, I don't like either of the Larcenys! Wondering if I should revisit given that I see more praise these days.

For EC - I get it. The BP version has older bourbon in it than the regular.

• I like it 2

JEP BP...

Upon opening - WTH, this is weird

Down a third - beginning to like this

Down to half - damn. I better get a backup (and did)

Down to a third - I really need a backup of my backup (and did again)

Last Pour right now - sh!+, this is my fav bottle this year!!!

• I like it 1

More WT101 while watching the Knicks-Pacers game.  Knicks lead the series 3-2.  This game is close and will probably end up that way.

Today I chaperoned a group of third graders on a field trip to Blue Spring Caverns.  It's the longest navigable underground river in the country.  We tried two times before, but got rained out.  When it rains, caves get flooded.  I was even skeptical we'd make it today, with the weather and all.  In the end, we drove down to the Bedford area and they had a grand time.

Wife and son are knocked out asleep.  After pulling all that off, had to get something out of the bunker to open.  The winner was Maker's 46 on an ice ball, and I got to watch some Forged In Fire.  Now I switched over to Rittenhouse.

• I like it 1

Posted (edited)

Relaxing on a Saturday afternoon.  Strange (and unplanned) sbs comparison this afternoon. 

First pour was MM PS from Lincoln Road.  I had a hankering for a high-proof wheater so when my eyes scanned the bar, that bottle sounded good so I grabbed it.  Tasted great.  Wanted another pour of it.

Someone then asked me about the Four Roses OBSK recipe, so I pulled out my open bottle and had a short pour.  My current open OBSK is an older Spec's store pick bottled in 2015 at 8 yrs 1 month. It's very good, but nothing special for a 4R store pick.  I put OBSK somewhere in the upper middle of a ranking of my preferred recipes.  Good, but not nearly my favorite.

For this totally unplanned (and quite nonsensical) barrel proof SiB store pick SBS between a wheater and a high rye bourbon, I give the win to the MMPS Lincoln Road pick.  For whatever that's worth, hehe 🤷‍♂️

Edited by Kepler
  • I like it 2

On 5/16/2024 at 10:22 PM, Kepler said:

Yet, the old dude that was the clerk was really scary.  I suspect one day we will read that he was a mass murderer in the '50s.

• I like it 1

Posted (edited)
On 5/17/2024 at 5:13 PM, bayouredd said:

JEP BP...

Upon opening - WTH, this is weird

Down a third - beginning to like this

Down to half - damn. I better get a backup (and did)

Down to a third - I really need a backup of my backup (and did again)

Last Pour right now - sh!+, this is my fav bottle this year!!!

Sounds like one of my old girlfriends on our first date.  First hour...she has a weird smile.  Second hour (after a couple of beers)...her smile is not so bad but she talks about stupid shit.  Third hour...(after a few more beers)...I stopped listening to her yappering but she is sort of cute.   Fourth hour...(finished the 12 pack)...she reminds me of Christy Brinkley.  12 hours later...WTF was I thinking.  I gotta get out of here.  3 months later...where did I put her phone number? 😮🤪😀

Edited by mbroo5880i
  • I like it 2

I opened the evening with a nice pour of Sazerac Rye. It has been stellar lately. It would be more stellar at 100 proof.  Just saying.  

Followed up with a nicer pour of WT101.  It would be stellar at...well, it is already stellar.  😮🤪😀

• I like it 1

20 hours ago, PaulO said:

Today I chaperoned a group of third graders on a field trip to Blue Spring Caverns.  It's the longest navigable underground river in the country.  We tried two times before, but got rained out.  When it rains, caves get flooded.  I was even skeptical we'd make it today, with the weather and all.  In the end, we drove down to the Bedford area and they had a grand time.

Wife and son are knocked out asleep.  After pulling all that off, had to get something out of the bunker to open.  The winner was Maker's 46 on an ice ball, and I got to watch some Forged In Fire.  Now I switched over to Rittenhouse.

Sounds like a great time both earlier and then later in the day. 

4 hours ago, Kepler said:

Relaxing on a Saturday afternoon.  Strange (and unplanned) sbs comparison this afternoon. 

First pour was MM PS from Lincoln Road.  I had a hankering for a high-proof wheater so when my eyes scanned the bar, that bottle sounded good so I grabbed it.  Tasted great.  Wanted another pour of it.

Someone then asked me about the Four Roses OBSK recipe, so I pulled out my open bottle and had a short pour.  My current open OBSK is an older Spec's store pick bottled in 2015 at 8 yrs 1 month. It's very good, but nothing special for a 4R store pick.  I put OBSK somewhere in the upper middle of a ranking of my preferred recipes.  Good, but not nearly my favorite.

For this totally unplanned (and quite nonsensical) barrel proof SiB store pick SBS between a wheater and a high rye bourbon, I give the win to the MMPS Lincoln Road pick.  For whatever that's worth, hehe 🤷‍♂️

Both sound great  I love both OBSK and OESK.  However, why I typically like higher rye bourbons better, I have always preferred OESK.  On the FR recipe tree, while I have had all 10 at one point or another, I find OBSV (BP), OESK, OBSK, OBSQ, OBSV 100 proof to be my favorites.  The only yeast variations that I do not care for are the O's...OBSO and OESO.  Don't get me wrong, I wouldn't kick them out of my glass but they would be at the bottom of the SiB BP list for me.

Posted (edited)

WTKS in the glass.  It was a good Preakness, several bets went my way.  Pics later this week once I have collected.

Edited by markandrex
  • I like it 1

MM tonight. That’s it.

So far. 😛

• I like it 1

I was out of town for a while but when I got home, there was a bottle of Booker's 2024-01 Springfield Batch waiting for me that I had won in a raffle with my local whiskey club.

Nose:  Predominant note of sweet tea, with vanilla, honey, snickerdoodle, brown sugar, light leather, tobacco, and oak.  Not too much of a proof punch for 124.5. 

Palate:  The proof hits hard on the palate then settles down to reflect the nose notes, along with a little more baking spice, and a little chocolate.  The finish is decently long and tapers off to a predominant oak and leather note.

The bottle is reminiscent of some of the better Knob Creek barrel picks I have had, though it drinks hotter than the best of those.  I had also just tried the new Beam Black 7-year the night before and there are some similarities, but the Bookers is like a D-1 college quarter back and the Beam 7 is like his 11-year old brother just hitting his stride.

• I like it 4