What bourbon are you drinking this Spring - 2024

markandrex

Started off tonight with OF 100 from the decanter.  Gonna head downstairs and see what tickles my fancy.  I'm guessing we'll stay in the Brown Foreman family tonight.

• I like it 1

Picked up a local’s private pick of Rebel Cask.  Enjoying it over a clear cube.  Plenty sweet up front, mixed with some sort of baking spice I see in pumpkin pie.  Nutmeg?  Whatever it is, it’s nice. Some heat on the back end, but this store’s picks typically bring some heat.  It’s their signature I find in a lot of their picks.  Not offensive, but I have come to expect it, and once I got there, it became welcome.    

IMG_5256.jpeg

• I like it 6

WT101.  A hint of smokey mesquite.  Nice pour on a nice late Spring evening before the Indy 500.

• I like it 4

Posted (edited)

Calumet 14 in the glass...

20240525_214022.jpg

Edited by Skinsfan1311
  • I like it 5

Starting off with 2012 ER10 single barrel in my glass.

• I like it 4

Bringing out the big guns with OGD 114.

We'll see what kind of effect the predicted bad weather has on the Indy 500.  I'll be at home.  And that brings me to the all but guaranteed local tv blackout we get every year.  🤬  B.S.! 

• I like it 3

A very large full moon is trying to punch through clouds here at the beach.  I can hear the waves crash from here on the deck,  dark serenity enhanced by a John J. Bowman.  

20240524_234446.jpg

• I like it 10

Had a 10 year SP KC120 last night. Flavor bomb with overwhelming caramel and fruit. Going to see if i can get another one or two for the bunker

• I like it 7

Well, back from a month of travel. Almost entirely bourbon/rye free, not much of that worth trying (cruise/London/Spain) at any reasonable price. Had a respectable amount of beer in Dublin & London though (and wine in Spain). Tried my first Guinness in Ireland - it really does seem different & better. In my head? Dunno. Tried Guinness quickly followed by a teeny sip of Jamesons at Dad's suggestion...oh my. The bitterness of the Guinness made the Jamesons taste like honey.

Having some W12 now, first bourbon in a month other than OF 1897 & WR via Delta yesterday. The people at Breaking Bourbon went nuts over the '23 W12 (and they seem pretty stingy wth stars), gonna try it against '22 and see if I can tell the difference.

Home, sweet home.

• I like it 7

Gorgeous early evening sitting out front loving that tomorrow is an off day.  Listening to some tunes with an Arturo Fuente Don Carlos Belicoso and an Old Tub on a cube.  Truly a blissful time.  

• I like it 3

Posted (edited)

More WT101 post-Indy 500.  Storms delayed the race but the finish was awesome.  Newgarden (repeat), O'Ward, and Dixon.  I thought O'Ward was going to win his first 500 but he was passed on the final lap.  The latest time of day finish in Indy history.

I will be watching the Pacer game tomorrow night but switching back and forth just so I can see the driver's WAGs.  😮😀

Edited by mbroo5880i
  • I like it 4

8 hours ago, Anwalt said:

Well, back from a month of travel. Almost entirely bourbon/rye free, not much of that worth trying (cruise/London/Spain) at any reasonable price. Had a respectable amount of beer in Dublin & London though (and wine in Spain). Tried my first Guinness in Ireland - it really does seem different & better. In my head? Dunno. Tried Guinness quickly followed by a teeny sip of Jamesons at Dad's suggestion...oh my. The bitterness of the Guinness made the Jamesons taste like honey.

Having some W12 now, first bourbon in a month other than OF 1897 & WR via Delta yesterday. The people at Breaking Bourbon went nuts over the '23 W12 (and they seem pretty stingy wth stars), gonna try it against '22 and see if I can tell the difference.

Home, sweet home.

Guinness is better in Ireland 😉

• I like it 1

With heat index over 100, it's time to pull out the big ice cubes.  '16 130.0 proof Junior in my glass.

20240526_220509.thumb.jpg.69ea96407c3442955e99ed8cc4f76393.jpg

• I like it 8

22 hours ago, PaulO said:

Bringing out the big guns with OGD 114.

We'll see what kind of effect the predicted bad weather has on the Indy 500.  I'll be at home.  And that brings me to the all but guaranteed local tv blackout we get every year.  🤬  B.S.! 

Sorry if the blackout made you miss it.  Truly a riveting finish, as @mbroo5880i has iterated.  I watched on the little 20" screen in the basement while removing ancient vinyl tile adhesive and inhaling far too much of my own exhaust due to the N-95 mask I had on.  Anybody know what asbestos tastes like?  Asking for a friend.

Tonight the squarish decanter was filled to the tippy top with a nearly equal blend of Larceny BP and regular 92 octane Larceny. Goes down far too easily.  I just noticed the decanter is too full to put the stopper back.  Better clear that neck pour.  Dang OCD.  

• I like it 1

2 hours ago, mbroo5880i said:

More WT101 post-Indy 500.  Storms delayed the race but the finish was awesome.  Newgarden (repeat), O'Ward, and Dixon.  I thought O'Ward was going to win his first 500 but he was passed on the final lap.  The latest time of day finish in Indy history.

I will be watching the Pacer game tomorrow night but switching back and forth just so I can see the driver's WAGs.  😮😀

That was a hell of a pass on the outside by Newgarden at 220mph.  Balls.  Big ones.

• I like it 2

I shared a sample of a 120.6 proof Binny’s ps Wyoming Whiskey this evening with @JerseyDon at the Legion. Pretty hot, but the flavor was good. It was even better with a couple of  drops of water and a couple of small chunks of ice. Been home a while now. Getting thirsty again. 🤔

• I like it 1

2 minutes ago, Thomm said:

Sorry if the blackout made you miss it.  Truly a riveting finish, as @mbroo5880i has iterated.  I watched on the little 20" screen in the basement while removing ancient vinyl tile adhesive and inhaling far too much of my own exhaust due to the N-95 mask I had on.  Anybody know what asbestos tastes like?  Asking for a friend.

Tonight the squarish decanter was filled to the tippy top with a nearly equal blend of Larceny BP and regular 92 octane Larceny. Goes down far too easily.  I just noticed the decanter is too full to put the stopper back.  Better clear that neck pour.  Dang OCD.  

Well, I listened to the race on the radio.  Some of my in laws got to meet Newgarden and his crew a couple years ago.  Somehow he found out my brother in law was a big 500 fan, and had ALS.  They are the nicest people, even put a sticker with Brian's name on the race car.

Newgarden is our favorite driver.  We're thrilled about the second win in a row.  Nobody's ever done three. 

• I like it 6

12 minutes ago, PaulO said:

Well, I listened to the race on the radio.  Some of my in laws got to meet Newgarden and his crew a couple years ago.  Somehow he found out my brother in law was a big 500 fan, and had ALS.  They are the nicest people, even put a sticker with Brian's name on the race car.

Newgarden is our favorite driver.  We're thrilled about the second win in a row.  Nobody's ever done three. 

Cool story.

After the Stg Junior, I transferred the big clear cube over to a glass of OF SiB barrel proof.  I typically only drink OFSiBBP with a cube, and it tastes pretty damn good that way, I must say.

• I like it 3

I got a late start to the cabinet tonight. Having Old Fitz BiB 8yr, from 2021, I think. Pretty good, it isn’t my fave OF, but good nonetheless.  

Cheers

• I like it 2

9 hours ago, mbroo5880i said:

I will be watching the Pacer game tomorrow night 

Me too!  😊

9 hours ago, Skinsfan1311 said:

Guinness is better in Ireland 😉

I honest-to-God think it is.

• I like it 2

Posted (edited)
7 hours ago, Kepler said:

After the Stg Junior, I transferred the big clear cube over to a glass of OF SiB barrel proof.  I typically only drink OFSiBBP with a cube, and it tastes pretty damn good that way, I must say.

My tolerance for proof (and the win on "more flavor") has grown dramatically these last two years. To the point where my Scotch/Irish drinking Dad mutters about "adults & water", "bourbon drinker in the family, adopted", etc. But I have to say, you named two of the three where I still tend to use a big cube. The 3rd is the Bookers, some of the time.

Edited by Anwalt

Well, got a big surprise yesterday. Mother in Law's 80th is Wednesday. She just got her Green Card, but nobody knew that would happen a month ago (she could not travel until it arrived). Nephew and Wifey's twin sister showed up, that was planned. Then the 2 other sisters from Chile casually walked in, they did not tell anyone they were coming; they even managed to talk their way past security in our complex, get through the locked doors, etc. Much noise ensued. Note: With Latinas, the noise increases geometrically (not linearly) as you add more of them. If you know, you know.

Nephew and I had W12, ECBP A121, JD Rye 127 (he thought it well below the proof of the 123 proof ECBP until I told him the actual number, this seems to be a constant), 4R Super Premium, and SFTB (120.2 and 131.9). He loved the SFTB. We both preferred the higher proof (which is a reversal for me). He put JD in second place. He found the 4R SP dull. Liked the ECBP a lot and thought the W12 "OK to sip when I don't want more intensity".

So much for calorie discipline after a month of gluttony.

But with that many Happy Chilenas around...it's therapy or alcohol. And I'm all out of therapists.

• I like it 8

Whelp. The Swirling Vortex of Noise & Chaos (Chilenas) went to the beach.

Relaxing from the month long vacation - those take energy! (I know, I know: "boo hoo").

Haven't updated whiskey XL in many months, got busy. So doing that, counting & ordering bottles. Such is what "relaxes" an anal little mind.

Having a Lux Row 12 to further the relaxation process. Good stuff.

• I like it 1