What bourbon are you drinking this Spring - 2024

markandrex

7 minutes ago, Kepler said:

I notice this is from 2021, but I don't recall ever seeing any MM private selection in the 375ml size.  I wish they offered more in that size because I'd be more likely to try several different ones in a smaller size/price combination, even if the price per volume is higher than the 750. 

The problem with MM PS offerings is that there are just too many of them on the shelves, .... too many to choose from, so I tend to not buy any of them anymore.  This is simply a failure in marketing, something that Maker's usually excels in above all else.

I think they were trying to replicate the 4R single barrel picks...

• I like it 1

Down in Jacksonville visiting with my two best friends. Some bottle tastings in the hotel before going out for dinner. All were liked, with the Bardstown being the most surprising on how good it is. 

IMG_5658.jpeg

• I like it 4

23 minutes ago, Kepler said:

I notice this is from 2021, but I don't recall ever seeing any MM private selection in the 375ml size.  I wish they offered more in that size because I'd be more likely to try several different ones in a smaller size/price combination, even if the price per volume is higher than the 750. 

The problem with MM PS offerings is that there are just too many of them on the shelves, .... too many to choose from, so I tend to not buy any of them anymore.  This is simply a failure in marketing, something that Maker's usually excels in above all else.

I've never seen them either. This was part of a PS sampler 3-pack.

I can't recall what the staves combo were on the other two bottles.  

I think that the 750ml bottles are pricey and I doubt that I'll buy any in the future, unless I can try it first. 

• I like it 2

18 minutes ago, Skinsfan1311 said:

I've never seen them either. This was part of a PS sampler 3-pack.

I can't recall what the staves combo were on the other two bottles.  

I think that the 750ml bottles are pricey and I doubt that I'll buy any in the future, unless I can try it first.

Ahh OK.  I predict that Maker's will need to reduce the price of their PS bottles in the very near future.  They are simply overpriced for what they are, and the bourbon market is slowing down rapidly.   The bourbon bubble burst is coming.

• I like it 2

1 hour ago, Kepler said:

Curious how the two OF stack up.

I like them both for different reasons.

• I like it 1

Great Kentucky Derby.  The winner won by a nostril.  Celebrated with a few pours of Old Mo Fo 100. 🤪

• I like it 3

27 minutes ago, mbroo5880i said:

Great Kentucky Derby.  The winner won by a nostril.  Celebrated with a few pours of Old Mo Fo 100. 🤪

Yeah it was an exciting one.  Great finish.

• I like it 2

18 hours ago, GaryT said:

Don't disagree about how good OF 100 is, but love that it's screw cap!  HATE corks that break, don't seal well, AND ultimately add price to the bottle while being an inferior seal.  Really wish Wild Turkey would have gone to screw caps 50+ years ago, as the collective time whiskey drinkers have spent decanting/filtering dusty Turkey because of bad corks is likely measured in years ;) 

(but your point about it being good is spot on!)

Back a couple label changes ago - WT used metal screw caps for at least some of their brands.  I still have in the bunker two WT 101 Rye "Austin Nichols" with the metal screw cap.  I think they are from about 15 years ago.  I remember the WT 101 Bourbon of that time had the same closure.

• I like it 2

1 hour ago, mbroo5880i said:

1 hour ago, Kepler said:

Yeah it was an exciting one.  Great finish.

Over 20 years ago after our son graduated from high school, he started working at the local Off Track Betting place here. He worked there over the summers for two or three years and he also filled in at other times during those years. We started a tradition back then of betting on the Derby. Not a thing for me or the wife again this year. The streak continues.  🧲

• I like it 3

9 hours ago, Kepler said:

Ahh OK.  I predict that Maker's will need to reduce the price of their PS bottles in the very near future.  They are simply overpriced for what they are, and the bourbon market is slowing down rapidly.   The bourbon bubble burst is coming.

Agreed.

There is a lot of better bourbon at that price point.

MM101 is still my favorite and it's  reasonably priced. 

• I like it 2

Derby Day was Four Roses SiB Select, New Riff and a finale of MM BEP. Soooo Good.........

• I like it 3

Old Forester Single Barrel 90 proof ps last night. 

IMG_4384.thumb.jpeg.586ce24be5078b1f4a27408cfc405730.jpeg

• I like it 5

Always wanted to try this one.  

I've never seen it at a bar to try, but it was on sale. 😉

20240505_144256.jpg

• I like it 3

For you Commonwealth residents, the OGD BiB and the Uncle Nearest 1856 are both on sale at the ABC stores.  The OGD was $3.00 off and the Remus was $10.00 off...

• I like it 1

Killed the bottle of Old Mo Fo 100.  Going to finish the weekend with a pour of Free Willy.  Willett Family Estate. 

• I like it 2

Sitting in Clyde’s Chevy Chase waiting for my wife to join me for lunch - she’s an hour away so . . .

Started with a neat Blanton’s.  Noticed that New Riff Bonded is used in a cocktail.  Bartender gave me a taste.  NOW I know why you all rave about it.  Nice spice kick but no overriding heat.  Complex flavors blend nicely.  Going to order a couple of cups of coffee so I can be a wide awake drunk and have another.  THAT NR was exquisite!  And it is not the Blanton’s typing.

Had to pass on the basic BT which I love and the tender knows I do.  Also passed on a couple iterations of MM behind the bar.  BTW, Clyde’s now uses 4RYL as their rail bourbon so if you are ever in WDC at a Clyde’s, . . . .

• I like it 3

Blue Monday...

Started with a JB Black 7yr, not bad.

Moved onto a George Remus Blend that was very nice last week, but not feeling it today.

Didn't care about higher proof or complexity, but needed a more balanced pour:

Blanton's Gold to the rescue. Not because I deserved it but because I felt like, I'm Taking It...

• I like it 2

Posted (edited)

Enjoying a few drams of Peerless Single Barrel bourbon at 112.5 proof.  Hits all the checkmarks.

Just editing to add that the nose on this bottle is SOOO nice I could just nose it over and over whether I actually drink it or not.

Edited by IamMatt
  • I like it 1

JD SB BP with a couple drops of water last night.  Not traditionally a Jack fan but this stuff is good.  I still get the banana candy on the nose but don't really taste it.  Too much other stuff going on.  It's a bold and tasty one!

Yesterday was KC 9, Weller 12 and a night cap of OF Statesman.  Good, Best, Better!!

Posted (edited)

It was finally sunny and HOT (over 90 degrees) today in New England - a perfect day for the first Freezer Bourbon of the Year!  😋

2024 First Freezer Pour.jpg

P.S. - The new deck umbrella is also up - a new Four Roses black one.  Now all I need is a step stool to be able to unfold it and insert the pin to hold it open.  I don't think even Brent could do it without a ladder . . . .  🤪

Edited by GeeTen
  • I like it 10

Having the last of a W12 bottle (see empty bottle thread) and a couple "kickers". 🤪

Vacation starts tomorrow...flight leaves at 5:35am! As soon as these are done I'm showering and going to bed. 

20240507_201528.jpg

• I like it 4

A healthy pour of MM.  A couple of pours of HH7 BIB.  🙏

• I like it 1

On 5/4/2024 at 5:42 AM, GaryT said:

Don't disagree about how good OF 100 is, but love that it's screw cap!  HATE corks that break, don't seal well, AND ultimately add price to the bottle while being an inferior seal.  Really wish Wild Turkey would have gone to screw caps 50+ years ago, as the collective time whiskey drinkers have spent decanting/filtering dusty Turkey because of bad corks is likely measured in years ;) 

(but your point about it being good is spot on!)

+1 for screw caps!!

• I like it 1

Returned to my Redwood Empire for last nights pour. Not CS just the regular octane but it’s a pleasant little pour. Nothing special but nothing off either. Good early week dram.

• I like it 1