Something old

graybeard75

Hi new to the bourbon world. I have had this for a long time never opened. Any info or history would be great 

IMG_9026.jpeg

• I like it 3

That is some wonderful Stitzel-Weller!  Definitely bourbon from a bygone era.  Open and enjoy with those who matter.  It will likely be the best bourbon you or your family/friends will ever enjoy.  A very special bottle from a famed distillery!

• I like it 3

Is it a 375mL or are you a giant?

• I like it 2

I agree 100%.  Andre the Giant is that you?  That bottle looks really small in your hands.    😮😀

JK, it has to be the angle or you are really popular with chicks.  OK, JK, kidding again.  😬😮😜😀

Spectacular bottle.  Enjoy

3 minutes ago, FasterHorses said:

Is it a 375mL or are you a giant?

See, I wasn't being a smart ass.  😜

That's what a 1.75L looks like in my hand.  Just sayin.' 😀

Edited by mbroo5880i
  • I like it 2

22 minutes ago, mbroo5880i said:

See, I wasn't being a smart ass. 

Oh yes you were! It's what you do. But at half price!

• I like it 1

Lol. It’s a half pint.  My dad purchased it in the 1960s. Gave it to me when I was married.  

• I like it 5

2 minutes ago, graybeard75 said:

Lol. It’s a half pint.  My dad purchased it in the 1960s. Gave it to me when I was married.  

Old Fitz releases for me are some of the finest bourbons I’ve had.  I‘ve not found one in a store for YEARS, and I do not buy online.  If I had that one, I’d hang on to it until my docs said I had hours left.  THEN! I’d open it and suck it dry.  Unless I was oblivious in which case my wife of fifty+ years would drink it for me.  AHHH!

• I like it 1

Just now, Harry in WashDC said:

Old Fitz releases for me are some of the finest bourbons I’ve had.  I‘ve not found one in a store for YEARS, and I do not buy online.  If I had that one, I’d hang on to it until my docs said I had hours left.  THEN! I’d open it and suck it dry.  Unless I was oblivious in which case my wife of fifty+ years would drink it for me.  AHHH!

Still working on. JB BIB.  Wished Beam Suntory would come to its senses an keep this expression front and center.  The JB white 80 proof still has that peanut note, but the older (by a year or three? Bonded) does not; this is a FINE BIB.

• I like it 2

Probably will just hang on to it. Or give it to my son when he gets married.  Lol. No I’ll keep it. 

That is one of the holy grails of Bourbon.  At first I thought you were putting us on.  🤩

“A Long Time Ago, In A Binny’s Far, Far Away”  The VSOF was courtesy of @T Comp IIRC.  It’s really good. Open and enjoy it with friends. Please post some tasting notes.

P1020585.thumb.jpeg.f4996c580e516b2394918780a73a28bf.jpeg

• I like it 6

4 hours ago, Anwalt said:

Oh yes you were! It's what you do. But at half price!

🤣🤣🤣  You know broo!

• I like it 1

11 hours ago, graybeard75 said:

Hi new to the bourbon world. I have had this for a long time never opened. Any info or history would be great 

IMG_9026.jpeg

My advice is DO NOT keep it "forever", as a 'just-too-precious-to-actually-drink' museum piece!    Further, I'd say open it up now, ration it a little for sure; but DO SHARE it with anybody who will truly appreciate it.   These experiences are even more 'priceless' than the view of such a bottle on your mantel.   One further note: although well-sealed Bourbon will keep a very long time if stored carefully, it absolutely won't get any better than it is right this minute!

• I like it 2

Pappy say it A Collector’s Item, Imma say it A Collector’s Item!  😁

I would recommend getting the book, “But Always Fine Bourbon: Pappy Van Winkle and the Story of Old Fitzgerald”.  It’s a good read full of history and chock full of great photos.  
After that, you could…

Keep it on you shelf next to the book.  Would look great together, and be a nice conversation piece.

Give it to your son when he gets married, as your father did for you.  How cool is that!  
Drink it.  Yes, it is spectacular whiskey.  But, if you do, take your time removing the cork.  It’s old, small, and likely brittle and prone to breaking.  

Sell it.  Bonham-Skinner’s Auctions is a reputable and legal means of selling fine spirits.  Many here have gone that route.

A bottle like yours sold there for $1,250 last year.  Prices may range even higher.  

Thanks for sharing the pic.  👍🏻

804E5023-9F5C-4E89-9892-F0990A47A8F2.png

• I like it 4

Not mine. I was helping a fellow member out. I was repaying a favor he did for me. He just had to have the last word though. I received a very nice cured ham for Xmas that year. 😎

bottles.jpeg.9dcd0226d6db09cbef2c82bf8c815b6c.jpeg

• I like it 3

I don't think you should sell it.  That's a really lame thing to do.  (Unless you really need the money because of this crappy economy we've been experiencing the last 3 years.)

Unless you really need the money, I would open it and enjoy this special bottle slowly over several years. Just my 2 cents.

Edited by Kepler
  • I like it 5

I don’t think I will sale it. I think I will know when the time is right to open it. Thanks to all of you for your responses.  At one time I did look at it and think I’m going to drink that. Lol.  

• I like it 4

5 hours ago, graybeard75 said:

I don’t think I will sale it. I think I will know when the time is right to open it. Thanks to all of you for your responses.  At one time I did look at it and think I’m going to drink that. Lol.  

Good idea!   Whiskey was made for DRINKING!   Let it experience it's ultimate purpose in life ...by going down your throat. HA!

• I like it 1

This was opened last night at a friend's. I think it's a 1970.

20240328_195820.jpg

• I like it 5

Don't think I have asked this. What do you guys think the value is of a 1993 Blanton Single Barrel  93 proof. It was after 1993 that they renamed it Blanton's. No initial on a different looking horse stopper top as well. Picked up in Tokyo. Have done some research and all seems legit about the name change and stopper. Apparently in the early 90's bourbon was a dud here and a lot of companies shipped bourbon all over and Japan was a whisky up and comer. 

On 3/29/2024 at 1:52 PM, Grady330 said:

Don't think I have asked this. What do you guys think the value is of a 1993 Blanton Single Barrel  93 proof. It was after 1993 that they renamed it Blanton's. No initial on a different looking horse stopper top as well. Picked up in Tokyo. Have done some research and all seems legit about the name change and stopper. Apparently in the early 90's bourbon was a dud here and a lot of companies shipped bourbon all over and Japan was a whisky up and comer. 

It's legit. 200-300. They are delicious, I suggest you drink it!  If you are into Blanton's, I recently published a book about the brand discussing many historical facts. Blantonsbook.com. Cheers!

• I like it 1