The Significance of "Batch Numbers..."

aquavite

I'm a bit curious as to the significance of batch numbers. In my YouTube travels, I see a bit of attention paid to certain select batch numbers as if one was better than another.

For example, (and I'll make this a "quiz" of sorts to see how knowledgeable y'all are), a lot of people are searching for batch "C923" of the given brand. It's mentioned a lot in the

given videos, especially by "Bourbon Hunter."  I'd be curious to know how a person could acquire knowledge of batch numbers and their significance unless they actually bought

some and were looking for more of the same. I'd wonder if they could actually find it, not knowing how long a "batch" could last before being totally consumed.

Does a given batch (and, therefore, the number) really make that much difference?

I assume you are talking about ECBP.  This is a case where batch numbers are important because there are differences between each batch, most importantly the ABV.  In fact, before Heaven Hill started putting batch numbers on ECBP, we referred to each release by it's ABV/proof.  There is a "profile" that is consistent between batches but there are differences.  

In other cases, batches aren't as important.  Sure, us aficionados/whisky nerds may notice a small difference between batches but typically there is a consistency between batches.  There are exceptions however. 

• I like it 1

8 hours ago, aquavite said:

Does a given batch (and, therefore, the number) really make that much difference?

It can. In the case of the ECBP you mentioned I find them to be very consistent and have never been compelled to chase a particular batch.

Stagg Jr. can vary quite a bit though. I would never turn a batch down but some can be a step above. Batch 12 was one of them. (They don't have batch numbers - you go off the proof and keep a sequential list which is where the batch number comes from).

Booker's now has unique names for each batch. Back in the day it was an alpha numeric code and some of those were better than others. Beam recognized an opportunity and started to give each batch a unique name making them easier to tell apart and a reason for the completists to seek out every one. It worked - Booker's is even more popular than ever despite being almost two times the old price.

• I like it 1

19 hours ago, meadeweber said:

I assume you are talking about ECBP.  This is a case where batch numbers are important because there are differences between each batch, most importantly the ABV.  In fact, before Heaven Hill started putting batch numbers on ECBP, we referred to each release by it's ABV/proof.  There is a "profile" that is consistent between batches but there are differences.  

In other cases, batches aren't as important.  Sure, us aficionados/whisky nerds may notice a small difference between batches but typically there is a consistency between batches.  There are exceptions however. 

Subsequently, I have discovered that "Larceny" Barrel Proof also shares batch C923 as well.

9 minutes ago, aquavite said:

Subsequently, I have discovered that "Larceny" Barrel Proof also shares batch C923 as well.

Larceny and Elijah Craig are both from Heaven Hill. They release the barrel proof versions of these in January, may, and September of each year. A: first batch of the year, 1: January, 23: year. A123

To answer your original question, yes batch numbers are definitely relevant.  I agree with Flahute above. I've yet to have an ECBP batch that wasnt at worse good to really good. Some an excellent. 

I've only tried two of the Larceny BP. The first one I had was fine. That other I have is really nice. YMMV

• I like it 2

Posted (edited)
On 5/1/2024 at 6:43 AM, JCwhammie said:

Larceny and Elijah Craig are both from Heaven Hill. They release the barrel proof versions of these in January, may, and September of each year. A: first batch of the year, 1: January, 23: year. A123

To answer your original question, yes batch numbers are definitely relevant.  I agree with Flahute above. I've yet to have an ECBP batch that wasnt at worse good to really good. Some an excellent. 

I've only tried two of the Larceny BP. The first one I had was fine. That other I have is really nice. YMMV

I see they just released batch "B524" yesterday.  I guess we'll see what's up with that. We'll have to check the ABV, etc.  I'd be curious as to how long it takes to trickle down to the retail stores.

Well, at least I know how these Heaven Hill Batch #s work.   the 'Letter" being the time of year (A = Jan, B = May, C = Sept).  and then the month and year of the release. So, C923 was released  Sept. 2023. 

I'm putting together a "tree" diagram with the distillers at the root, and then the product lines and products as the branches so I know with what I'm dealing.

Edited by aquavite

Any clue the age and proof of the ecbp?

23 minutes ago, b1gcountry said:

Any clue the age and proof of the ecbp?

Not yet. The Elijah Craig website only has the specs for A124 -  Aged 10yrs, 9mo at 119pf.  They probably haven't updated the site yet. Maybe not until it starts to drop onto retail stores.

The stores in st louis actually have it available now

• I like it 1

Just now, b1gcountry said:

I've seen some YouTube videos which show it. I'll see if I can find the specs on it.

Side note. Wild turkey  Lazer codes are confusing, but decipherable. I look at rare bird for help.

On 5/2/2024 at 8:10 PM, b1gcountry said:

I may have jumped the gun on this. My favorite store told me it was on the shelf, but that may have been an optimistic employee...

I'd be careful about following advice from some of the random bourbon youtubers.  Some of them are pretty clueless.  Do your research.

• I like it 1

7 hours ago, Kepler said:

I'd be careful about following advice from some of the random bourbon youtubers.  Some of them are pretty clueless.  Do your research.

I would agree.  Given the total plethora of choices available and the ease at which a lot of the YouTubers will walk through a store and say things like "Well, this one's good this one isn;t, that one's OK, etc. etc."), I'm left to wonder how they could have tried all these different whiskeys and still have a functioning liver....    I limit myself to no more than 1-2 shots a day.  If that means it takes me several months if not years to get through a bottle, that's just fine with me.  I've done it. often.  I've nursed a pair of bottles of my favorite cordial for almost 40 years now (See my first thread about trying to get Pere BLanc from Luxembourg).   Still trying to figure out how to get more into the US without having to fly over there to pick it up myself. 

Anyway, I'll look at the YouTubers and, if I see a trend among them, I might investigate that.  My next major acquisition will be std. BT.  Maybe WRDO after that. Then maybe an ECBP,, just to see what they taste like.  But I don't see building a full shelf at all. A limited one, maybe but not a full one.

• I like it 1

On 5/12/2024 at 5:46 AM, aquavite said:

But I don't see building a full shelf at all. A limited one, maybe but not a full one.

I used to say that, now I've got 100+ open bottles

• I like it 2

56 minutes ago, b1gcountry said:

I used to say that, now I've got 100+ open bottles

We shall see.  If that does happen for me,  it will, more than likely, be due to me buying and trying a bottle only once, and not liking it.  So far, that hasn't happened (i.e. I have liked and consumed the entirety of  all the bottles I've bought).  It's sort of why I'd prefer to buy (at most) an 875ml or less of a "new item," before considering a 1.75L.   That, or if it's a pricey item (eg. I did buy a 200ml small bottle of Johnny Walker Blue, just to taste it).  OTOH I did buy a full 875 ml bottle of Lagavulin 16 and not regretted it. 

Again, my consumption of alcohol at this point in my life is a bit restricted due to Type II diabetes.  So, I have to be very careful of my choices, especially if the product does contain a lot of sugar or corn syrup.  Thankfully, most std. whiskies do not, unless added in after the fact.  I've had to restrict my consumption of "cordials" as a result.  No more "Grand Marnier" for me. But I won't give up my Pere Blanc.  I just have to figure out how to get it imported.   

But, in any case, only 1-2 shots per day.  That's it.