Four Roses introduces 2 new mash bills

smokinjoe

I received a Mellow Moments email from 4R today announcing the introduction of 2 new mash bills.

43% Rye/52% Corn/5% Malted Barley

*Now their highest rye mash bill

10% Rye/85% Corn/5% Malted Barley

*Now their lowest rye mash bill

I am not positive, but it does not sound like this is aged and ready for bottling.  Possibly, not even commercially distilled, yet.  But, certainly created.  

• I like it 7

Was just reading the same email and am very intrigued by both.

Wow!   So their options for flavor/blending have increased exponentially!   Waaay low rye.    Moderately high-rye Bourbon; but, not straight rye.   I wonder how long (if very long, or at all) they've been distilling either or both of these????

Very intriguing stuff!

12 hours ago, Richnimrod said:

have increased exponentially! 

Actually, I think it's linear.  From 10 recipes to 20.  Sorry, I couldn't resist.  Hahaha

• I like it 1

I don't think either have been produced yet or if they have its been very recent. We wont see these for a few years. I wonder what 4 letter codes will be assigned?

48 minutes ago, kcgumbohead said:

I don't think either have been produced yet or if they have its been very recent. We wont see these for a few years. I wonder what 4 letter codes will be assigned?

My guess would be that they would still use the 4 letter recipe codes but there will now be 20 potential different ones instead of 10.  The second letter in the 4 letter code designates the mash bill.  Previously, there were 2 options, E and B.  Now there sounds like there will be 2 more.  

This is the first major change at Four Roses since Jimmy Rutledge reitred/left.  

Sounds like Brent Elliott is putting his trademark on a few things.  He did introduce the Select series, but that was a small variation in my opinion.

Hope it works out!

• I like it 1

If it shows up in the store, I will try out of curiosity.  However, if unique, I suspect short of selling my house, my family, and my neighbor's family, I will probably not have access. 

Skip the new mashbills and put out more of the original 10 recipe barrel strength bottles.  More old, less new.  

• I like it 1

56 minutes ago, mbroo5880i said:

........ and put out more of the original 10 recipe barrel strength bottles.  More old, less new.  

The did just double capacity a few years ago so it's coming.

• I like it 1

13 hours ago, mbroo5880i said:

If it shows up in the store, I will try out of curiosity.  However, if unique, I suspect short of selling my house, my family, and my neighbor's family, I will probably not have access. 

Skip the new mashbills and put out more of the original 10 recipe barrel strength bottles.  More old, less new.  

The Cox Creek visitor center and the distillery has had more barrel proof single barrels available to purchaes over the last year than they've had in a long time.  At one point, Cox Creek had all 10 recipes available, so I'd say it's getting more available.  

• I like it 4

FWIW, my son and I picked up one each of two BP selections (chosen by Master Distiller Brent Elliott) that were being offered in the Gift Shop at Cox's Creek last weekend of April.   His was quite low proof, despite it being almost 11-years old, if memory serves.   So Gary wanted that one assuming it would be a stellar pick.  UH-UHHHH!   It was very poor.   Sub-ordinary!   I haven't opened mine yet.

• I like it 1

The barrel picks can be very different. I have been initially unimpressed with a few of them, but I frequently change my opinion once the bottles open up and I spend some time tasting through the flavors. There is a ton of variety complexity and subtlety in four roses Bourbon, maybe even more so than other brands. I don't always get what I'm looking for from their barrel picks, but most of the bottles have something to enjoy.

I am very happy with the small batch select. After going through 4 bottles, I'm content saying they bring a lot of consistency to the lineup at the premium price point 

• I like it 2

On 5/13/2024 at 8:41 PM, Richnimrod said:

Wow!   So their options for flavor/blending have increased exponentially!   Waaay low rye.    Moderately high-rye Bourbon; but, not straight rye.   I wonder how long (if very long, or at all) they've been distilling either or both of these????

Very intriguing stuff!

I can only hope on a straight rye, they did have an old rye back in the day, but it was not very good.

Posted (edited)
17 hours ago, b1gcountry said:

The barrel picks can be very different. I have been initially unimpressed with a few of them, but I frequently change my opinion once the bottles open up and I spend some time tasting through the flavors. There is a ton of variety complexity and subtlety in four roses Bourbon, maybe even more so than other brands. I don't always get what I'm looking for from their barrel picks, but most of the bottles have something to enjoy.

I am very happy with the small batch select. After going through 4 bottles, I'm content saying they bring a lot of consistency to the lineup at the premium price point 

Good point about them opening up. 

I have never had a Single Barrel BP that I didn't like and I've loved most of them and I've had quite a few.  But there were a couple that, like you, I was unimpressed with at first but really liked by the end of the bottle.

Edited by meadeweber
  • I like it 1