Weller Antique 107???

JT3NSB

I see WA around here fairly often at tater pricing.  A few stores will keep it still at msrp  but it is stashed and only offered to “good” customers.

• I like it 1

saw 4 on a shelf a couple weeks ago in DC. 149$. no thanks.

WSR was 79$. yeah, no.

• I like it 3

I passed on a handle of WSR at $65 on Friday. I just don't like it. If I pick anything up, it would be for guests/friends.

• I like it 1

I ran into a few on the shelf in Ohio in 2021 at MSRP. Never after, there's always lines now; it does drop there pretty frequenty. I've never seen it at MSRP anywhere else, always crazy prices in a museum. I trade for it in Ohio, put enough away to be happy.

• I like it 2

WA.jpg.b002e745b9c32fa7213ab4ef78227b56.jpg

Last wild display i saw was Oct 2018. By this time it was VERY appreciated and they sold most of the display by the case. Afterwards the owner started listening to the little birdy in his ear.

It appears the current MSRP is ~$60, but practically nobody is going to sell it for that.

I purchased and enjoyed it as a regular pour (back in the early 2000s) and it cost $21 - $25.  This included initially the 7 year age stated and later some NAS single barrels.

My perception was - this is one step up from 90 proof MM, an easy drinker, not mind blowing.

I suspect many people forking over big money for this: never tried it before, chasing labels, influenced by social media.

• I like it 3

16 minutes ago, PaulO said:

My perception was - this is one step up from 90 proof MM, an easy drinker, not mind blowing.

I suspect many people forking over big money for this: never tried it before, chasing labels, influenced by social media.

I observe a lot of them (the overwhelming majority of whom are still relatively new to whiskey, even if they have tried a lot of different ones) have absolutely convinced themselves that OWA tastes superior in every way to WFP, CYPB, WSiB, and of course W12.  Even though it's all the same NAS stuff (with the exception of W12 with the age statement).  It's definitely a "monkey see, monkey do" phenomenon pervasive with people who live their lives on social media.

• I like it 2

Is antique really sought after compared to other weller?

I understand new bourbon drinkers trying to read reviews and get a good bottle. There are 200 labels even at small stores, and I bet all of us are pretty picky about what we bring home. 

13 hours ago, b1gcountry said:

Is antique really sought after compared to other weller?

I understand new bourbon drinkers trying to read reviews and get a good bottle. There are 200 labels even at small stores, and I bet all of us are pretty picky about what we bring home. 

I think so based on what I see and hear.  It's not really rational, but if I'm not wrong, the only difference between OWA, WFP and WSR is the amount of water added.  CYPB is aged at least 8 years as stated on the bottle.   We guess that the other three are aged at least 6  years but we don't really know. 

• I like it 3

18 minutes ago, Kepler said:

I think so based on what I see and hear.  It's not really rational, but if I'm not wrong, the only difference between OWA, WFP and WSR is the amount of water added.  CYPB is aged at least 8 years as stated on the bottle.   We guess that the other three are aged at least 6  years but we don't really know. 

Yep, it is the higher proof and has reasonable age.  I believe it is a matter of preference but I prefer OWA over WL12.  I enjoy both and would pick up either at less than $70 but I believe both are overrated and overpriced for what they are in today's market.  I blame BT for this scenario.  IMHO, they should produce more Weller and less BT and ER.

• I like it 3

Back when they were available, slightly diluting OWA to around 90 proof, still tasted much better than SR to me.

SR was always easier to find, which was kind of irritating.  It's just not my thing.

I blame BT for engineering a shortage.

My solution - MM products have come along (101 and CS).  Prices are reasonable and no Mickey Mouse games.

• I like it 3

Couldn't care less about WSR.  Never got a chance to try W12.  I do miss OWA.  Like others have said, let the taters fight over it.  It was a nice pour.