Ice Crushers

Vision
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

Anyone have one of these? My ice is in large cubes from trays. I'd like to be able to sip from some crushed ice. I'm thinking one that allows for adjustable courseness would be best.

You can pick one up at any Sears, Walmart, KMart etc. Here in Missouri we call them hammers. smilielol.gif

All kidding aside, take your ice, wrap it in a clean kitchen towel holding it bunched up in the middle and smack it with the side of the hammer on a sturdy surface like a cutting board until there are no big lumps. A lot cheaper than one of those electric models and just as efficient. I say hit it with the side because it will spread the impact area over more of the ice and give you a more uniform crushing. Just a tip from an ex-restaurant prep cook who did this on a nightly basis.

I've used one of these "retro ice crushers", and I think they're

pretty neat. A friend has one, and he uses it for his retro-themed

cocktail parties. The mechanism is pretty simple, but it works nicely.

You can sometimes get actual 1950s crushers on ebay. And I think

I saw a less expensive one at Bed, Bath, and Behind.

Tim Dellinger

My post just isn't as satisfying after the moderator edit Dane:)

I was wondering about those crank models, I may try one.

Thanks

• 3 weeks later...

The Party Source (I think there are a number of these super stores around the country) has these for about $25.00, give or take. I have one and they work well for me. I don't like the large chunks of ice in my stiff drinks, if I can help it. lol.gif

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.