2005 Sampler Tasting Suggestion

doubleblank
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

Hey all attendees for this years Sampler.....how about if we do a couple of "themed" tastings Friday and Saturday at the Gazebo. I was thinking of perhaps a Van Winkle night consosting of old/new 15yo, old/new 10yo, Old Time Rye/latest rye, VWSR 12yo/Blankle SB 12yo, etc....maybe even original Pappy 20/New Pappy 20. Next night would be the range of EWSB's......if someone would donate the earlier bottlings....I'll bring '92, '93, '94 and a '95. The smaller crowd at the Sampler would allow for a real tasting/evaluation/discussion. We could put a pretty good comparison tasting together if we're organized. OK, Maybe just one night of organized tasting. Let me know what you think?

Randy

If you manage to organize it, Randy, count me in for an EWSB '89 -- I have several.

Along the same lines, I am planning to bring my older minis and some other tax-stamped, older bottlings I've discovered here and there, since the distillers will be pouring the newer stuff Saturday --thought it would be fun to juxtapose, for whatever it's worth, old vs. new.

One of my planned donations is my 1977 Old Rip Van Winkle Decanter. Would that fit into your scheme somewhere or should I leave it at home for another time? I know, dumb question.

I can commit to the "old" Pappy 20. Also a '91 EWSB. Everybody should also try to bring something special. I will be arriving with some old Maryland rye.

Thanks for the offers guys......so if we can get a volunteer for a '90 EWSB, then we can taste a complete modern series from 1989 through 1995. I've not tasted a EWSB series before and this should be interesting.

On the Van Winkles.....I'll provide the new Pappy 20 so we've got both of those. I'll provide my SB VWSR 12yo Lot "B"......need a volunteer for the regular bottling there. I've got an OTR......so we need a volunteer for the current bottling/or a Lawrenceburg bottling of the rye. And we need both examples of the 15/107 and that would make a fairly complete comparison.

So we're stil looking for the following at the Sampler.

EWSB '90

VWSR 12yo Lot "B"

Recent Van Winkle Rye bottlings

ORVW 15/107

Pappy VW 15/107

Suggest we do one series Friday and the other Saturday.

Bring the VW decanter too Dane.

Randy

I have a ORVW 15 year old 107 and am happy to contribute. Posters should continue to post regarding items still not accounted for, since I will be in New York in February and will look for bottles meeting the required specs.

Gary

The PVW 15/107 is readily available here, so I'll contribute that. I'll also bring a 70's Stitzel Weller Virginia State decanter to put into that group.

(If there's any left by April)

I have the 90 EWSB, but its in that globe decanter. I hate to pull that one. I finished my open one a few weeks back. Does anyone have it the regular EWSB bottle?

Ed

Ed

I'll also bring a VWFR Rye. I have an extra in the bunker. Since we seem to be having a Van Winkle Fest, don't you think it would be proper to invite Julian, Preston and the rest of the family for a special SB.com salute? Maybe make Friday night VanWinkleFest?

That just leaves the EWSB '90 to complete the package. Of course, we could back older, but those are really hard to find.

Of course the Van Winkles are invited as are the Beams for the EWSB's.

Randy

Part of me thinks "organized" and "gazebo" don't belong in the same sentence, but all of these seem like fine ideas.

Fred, it will be nice to meet you at the Sampler, and I see you work in liquor retailing in PA. I thought working in that State you might have some knowledge or stories about the original Michter's, its taste, its demise, etc. Did you sell the whiskey, or taste it, when the company was in operation? Was all of it the same or were there different versions (e.g. a barrel proof, different ages, rye whiskey Michter's vs. original sour mash, etc.). If you have any knowledge or thoughts on the original Michter's I know many on the board would be interested. If you don't that's fine, just thought I'd ask.

Gary

Gary, it will be nice to meet you and everyone else at the Sampler, also. I've been working for the PLCB since 1974. Unfortunately, I wasn't a drinker until I started getting into bourbon in late 2003. I do remember selling the Michter's Pot Still Whiskey sold in ceramic " moonshine Jugs". I seem to remember special decanters. I never tasted it. My wife toured the distillery in the mid 1980's, but she doesn't remember much of that. I wish I could tell you more. We will do research and give you a full report in April. smile.gif After meeting so many fine people here, I wish the Sampler was this weekend. It's not distilled here anymore, but I plan on bringing a bottle of Michter's Unblended American Whiskey, among others.

Fred toast.gif

Thank you Fred, and we all look forward to meeting you at the Sampler.

Gary

Part of me thinks "organized" and "gazebo" don't belong in the same sentence, but all of these seem like fine ideas.

This is all way too structured for my taste. smirk.gif We'll need a Parliamentarian of the Year, if this keeps up. wink.gif

You're right Chuck, "organized" is too strong a word for the Gazebo as that implies many things when tasting bourbons, wines, etc. My intent was to suggest a couple of "themes" for everyone to consider when making their Gazebo bourbon selection. I would then volunteer to keep up with what each person offers to bring so that we have a variety of bourbons in each "theme" to taste and not 25 King Tuts....although that would be quite a sight itself. A lot of our discussions here are comparing last year's version to this years.....or the original to the latest bottling etc. The EWSB's and the Van Winkle products are well liked and widely available, hence my suggestion.

Randy

a couple of "themes"

Now two themes, sounds more like it -- provided JD or GD isn't either of them! blush.gif

I just made our reservations for the sampler, for Friday and Saturday nights. I got the AAA rate on the BW website for $52/night. I have a couple of interesting things to bring, one that might vie for the title of "worst bourbon ever put into a bottle" lol.gif I'm also planning on bringing a few more homebrews: Centennial IPA, "Naggin' Bitch" porter, and a Hefeweizen.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.