WT 101

Jono
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

This is my first Rye experience, purchased as a Christmas gift to myself smile.gif while in Binny's. I picked it based on various reviews...all favorable...that put this Rye in the solid middle of Rye rankings...probably the best for price etc. My (limited)impressions:

Nose: Pleasantly sharp

Tongue: Spice, dancing angels..or should I say demons grin.gif on the tongue and palate, a little thin in body. I am not good at separating individual taste notes..but I guess the Rye is responsible for the sharp spice.

Finish: Slightly hard, in comparison to a smooth bourbon, but not unpleasant.

Any suggestions on a next step up?

I would certainly accept a WT rye anytime offered. It's good whiskey.

If you can get it, try the Van Winkle Family Reserve Rye (13yo), or (much less likely) the ORVW 12yo Old Time rye. Rye just doesn't get better than either of these. (By all means, try the Sazerac, too, if you can -- it's different, but certainly worthy.)

• 5 months later...

All of Tim's suggestions are excellent, though they can get pricey( but I'm still working on putting together my Sazerac verticle) Next time your at Binny's look for the Rittenhouse, but make sure it's the 100 proof, lots of people swear by it. Funny, another one made in Ky thats not available here. I picked up a bottle a few years back at Sam's in Chicago, but I've lost my tasting notes...Oh well gotta go back and get some more.

Enjoy your rye explorations,

Timothy

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.