Non Alcoholic Bourbons

Guest **DONOTDELETE**
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

Unlike NA beer and wine, I don't think it has ever been tried with spirits. Presumably, alcohol is simply too much of the sensory experience. Take the alcohol out of bourbon and what do you have?

- chuck

Guest **DONOTDELETE**

>Take the alcohol out of bourbon and what do you have?

Well, once you get down to the last 3 or 4 percent I guess you have flat beer.

As an aside, here in Ohio I've seen something I've never seen anywhere else... diluted spirits. Liquor sales are state-controlled in Ohio, and whiskey, rum, vodka, tequila, etc. can only be sold in state-licensed liquor stores. Well, sorta. Spirits can be sold in the supermarket, but only at up to about 40 proof. So the supermarkets have what's called "diluted" spirits. Most of these are house brands of one sort or another, but there are some name brands (how about 40-proof Yukon Jack, for example?). I tried one once. Phooey!

-John Lipman-

http://w3.one.net/~jeffelle/whiskey

Guest **DONOTDELETE**

Yes dump in the water. The only reason I raise this question is about several years ago I heard on radio about non alcoholic __ and i leave the dashs because I missed the details. Thanks much for you reply. I do detest water in bourbon. I'm a straight or Mahatten guy ( little vermouth)

Those products were created long ago, just for Ohio, due to its peculiar law that any alcoholic beverage below a certain proof (40 I believe, or 20% ABV) could be sold in grocery and drug stores, but alcoholic beverages above that proof could only be sold in state stores. The intention was to permit beer and wine to be sold more widely, but by writing it that way they opened the door for these "diluted" spirits products. By federal law, straight spirits like rum, whiskey, tequila and vodka have to be at least 80 proof or they have to be labeled "diluted."

- chuck

Guest **DONOTDELETE**

Thank you for the reply. I heard about non-alcoholic spirts several years ago and always wondered if there were others than beer or wine.

Guest **DONOTDELETE**

In Canada once I tried some stuff ("stuff" because nobody would call it whiskey) that was low alcohol (I think 40 or 50 proof) that had enhanced whiskey flavor, so it would taste like the real thing. It was so awful (literally disgusting), it could be used as aversion therapy in a drying out clinic.

Learned to appreciate Bourbon was a student in Chicago in the 1960's

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.