2000 Kentucky Bourbon Festival

cowdery
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

If you are interested in visiting Bourbon country, a good time to go is during the annual Bourbon Festival in Bardstown, Kentucky. The dates for the Kentucky Bourbon Festival 2000 are September 13-17. Activities include a cooking school, golf tournament, Bourbon Cigars and Jazz, and the World Championship Barrel Relay. For information, contact the Bardstown Tourism Commission.

--Chuck Cowdery

• 5 months later...
Guest **DONOTDELETE**

Bardstown or Bust! Ok y'all who's hip and who's square? Sound off if you'll be there! 7 days & counting! No lame excuses accepted. Bourbon is a way of life. *Not* a hobby. If your wife won't go then bring someone else's. It's better with bourbon!

Linn Spencer

Have Shotglass. Will Travel.

Guest **DONOTDELETE**

John and Linda,

Be sure to look me up and we will drink those toast to unfortunates like Chuck who can not make the trip. Also look at my post to Greg under General Bourbon Topics - Bourbon Festival and let me know if you and Linda are going to be around on Thursday and would like to make a road trip to Louisville.

Mike

Obviously, based on my post under General Bourbon Topics that Mike refers to I'll be in Bardstown this coming Friday and Saturday with my wife Jo. I plan to be at the panel on Thursday -- this forum needs some special T-Shirts so we'll know each other. Chuck, be assured we'll raise a glass in your honor. Greg

Guest **DONOTDELETE**

Greg,

Don't worry about T shirts. Everybody just go and buy an Oscar Getz shot glass and then ask for me. I will put someting in it and we will know each other by the filled glasses and good bourbon.

Mike

P.S. I will be in Spalding Hall pretty much from 10 to 5 friday and saturday and will be easy to find.

Guest **DONOTDELETE**

Mike,

Thanks a million for the invite. We wouldn't miss it for the world. Actually, we had already been thinking of starting out on Thursday and spending it in and around Lousiville. We were going to try to get some photos of the S/W plant in Shively and maybe the Bernheim. We also were hoping to visit the bar at the Galt House and maybe even have lunch or dinner at the Seelbach. When are you planning on leaving Bardstown, and do you have a van or something we could all go together in or would we be caravaning in our cars? We could also meet you in Louisville if that's more convenient. You'll have to let us know where and when.

=John=

http://w3.one.net/~jeffelle/whiskey

I'll do it. Look for me with the OG shot glass and big smile. If I can get to Bardstown by 1:00 on Friday I'll check in with you before the panel, Mike.

Greg

PS Hope I have some information for the book with me!

Chuck, I'm sorry I won't get to meet you. For the other folks coming, one of the events you will most certainly enjoy is the Bourbon Heritage Panel from 2pm until 3:30pm on Friday @ Spalding Hall. Master Distillers from some of the area distilleries and others will discuss the history and making of Bourbon. Jim Beam's Booker Noe will most likely be on hand and he's a real hoot!

Wavin'atcha from Bardstown, deep in the heart of Bourbon Country.

To anyone going to the Bourbon Festival:

The loyal unfortunates (including me) who can't make the festival this year are hoping for colorful posts on the goings-on to help us vicariously participate. Don't let us down, wordsmiths!

R. Wilps

Guest **DONOTDELETE**

As far as I know Booker will not be at the seminar on Friday. He has a party at his house and will be getting ready for that. We are not even sure that Fred Noe will make it yet but if he does not then Jerry Dalton will be there. There will be others in the audience worth meeting. I do believe Ed Foote will be there and there is always the possibility of othere Master Distillers dropping in to sit in the audience. After all these people are all good friends and enjoy a little poking fun at each other.

Mike Veach

Before I leave tomorrow (we're not leaving for the festival until Friday but I may not be able to check the web again after about noon tomorrow), my wife wants to know how casual or dress/casual things will be if we're not going to the gala. If we participate in activities all day and the Spirit Garden in the evening, is it casual (casual slacks for women), really casual (jeans), or dress/business casual (maybe skirt or a casual dress for a woman). I figure a golf style shirt will do for me (oh, yeah, I will have pants on, too).

Guest **DONOTDELETE**

Hi Gregg,

It's pretty much whatever's comfortable; slacks, jeans, knit shirts, t-shirts. If Bloomington has the same kind of "A Taste Of..." type block parties that Cincinnati does, you can get a good idea of what the festival's like. Except for the Getz Museum and couple of not-be-missed events in Spalding Hall, on folding chairs, everything is outdoors on the lawn. You can walk around the town, which is picturesque in its own right, and see how all the downtown shops have bourbon-oriented displays in the front windows - some pretty elaborate. It can get a little cool in the evening, and the festivities last until midnight or so, so you might want to bring a light sweater or flannel shirt. And bring comfortable shoes, too; you'll be doing a lot of walking.

Oh, and I'm glad to know you'll be wearing pants. At least that way we can tell you from Linn! See ya there!!

=John=

Thanks for the wardrobe tip. I thought Bardstown was beautiful on my first trip in August and we're looking forward to strolling around. Glad we can be comfortable. John, since you're the expert you can tell us when you see us if any distilleries offer any Sunday tours. If so, seems like the right thing to do after this weekend and while we're in the neighborhood. Off to Houston for a couple of days -- see many of you in just two!

Greg

Since I just checked for my own purposes I'll share that the Weather channel (what do they know, right?) says it will cool off for the weekend with Friday and Saturday highs in Bardstown of 67 - 70 and overnight lows in the low 40s. Bring a sweater is right!

Guest **DONOTDELETE**

Chuck,

We miss you and Linn, Vicky(ie) and I drank a toast to you with Weller 107. You need to come next year.

Mike Veach

Guest **DONOTDELETE**

Well Chuck you really missed out on a good time! It was convenient however, as whenever someone felt like a good snort all we had to do was yell "TO CHUCK!" up would go the glasses and down would go the bourbon. Thanks to you we were all happily bourbonized just about all the time. It was great fun meeting John & Linda Lipman; Greg & Jo Kitz, Betty Jo Boone and her sister (the Heaven Hill Girls) and of course Mike Veach. John bought a new digital camera so watch for colorful photo postings from him. It was like getting together with old friends even though we were just meeting each other for the first time. We're sorry that we missed BrendaJ at the Heritage Panel. We looked for ya sweetheart! But we did find Lou Bryson who was down doing a story for Malt Advocate. It was a great thrill to meet Master Distillers: Jimmy Russel, Elmer T. Lee, Jerry Dalton, and Charles Medley.

Vickie & I went on distillery tours at; Buffalo Trace, Wild Turkey, Maker's Mark, and Labrot & Graham.I took over 100 photos using a Kodak Advantix 600.I'll send you any really good shots via smail mail.

I spent about $600 on bourbon. And yes I found a wheater that I like - Old Fitzgerald 100 proof Bottled In Bond.I liked it so much in fact that I bought a bottle of Very Special Old Fitzgerald to go with it.

Stay tuned for postings on: tastings, distillery trips, and dining in Bardstown with the StraightBourbon.com crew.

Linn Spencer

Have Shotglass. Will Travel.

Linn, we really enjoyed your company. Chuck, you were certainly with us in spirits (no, wait, that's supposed to be "in spirit"). I'll post more later when I don't have a million things to do in the office. But I especially want to thank Julian VanWinkle for his hospitality and for sponsoring so much at the Getz museum. I also want to recognize and thank his sister Sally VanWinkle Campbell for her friendliness. I just know I'm going to enjoy her book (actually sampled some pages of it last night).

It certainly was great getting with Linn & Vickie (I never asked if that is how she spells it) and John & Linda. Did seem like we'd known each other for a long while. And Mike Veach was the Host with the Most at the Getz museum.

I just have to add one bit of news for those who did not make it, though. The love of sports overpowered the love of bourbon when the Maker's Mark dipped in Blue and White went for $420 to show the love of UK even more than the love of bourbon. I'm glad that supports the Museum.

If it wasn't Linn's line I could now say, "have Oscar Getz shot glass, will travel."

more later...

Greg

Guest **DONOTDELETE**

Well, it looks like everyone got home all right, switched off the ignition, and raced straight to the keyboard! ("Outta m'way, cat. I got POSTING to do!"). Me too, only I'm deluged with 113 photos to upload first.

This certainly was the best of the Bourbon Festivals we've been to, and probably right up there with some of the best vacations in general that we've ever taken. Meeting people for the first time that you already know electronically is really a thrill, and exploring a mutually-obsessive hobby together is truly intense. Except for Chuck, of course; Nyahhhh! Next year, we're going to send cloaked kidnappers to ambush you and drag your bicycle-peddling ... to Bardstown!! Seriously, you were missed and thought of often. Many a toast bore your name. Ryan, I missed you being there too, especially when the pre-prohibition 17-year-old rye whiskeys were being auctioned and Mike looked over at me and announced to the audience that I was a big rye fan and should start the bidding at some godawfully fiscally frightening level so as to get good prices for the museum, and all I could think of was "what if I end up having to buy this stuff?". You, on the other hand, would probably have gone home with with most of it anyway!

More to come later. We're going to be adding much to our own website, but I've got three pictures that are mainly for us here on this forum. I'm going to see if I can get more than one photo attached (they're really not big)...

...Well, I found out I can't. So I put all three together into one 640x480 jpeg.

=John=

post-2-1448981102866_thumb.jpg

Guest **DONOTDELETE**

Greg,

Actually the Maker's Mark 375ml with blue and white wax sold for $520.00 prooving that U of K fans will pay big bucks for Maker's Mark if he does anything to indicate that it is a U of K bottle. I want to Thank Bill and Dave for donating the bottle and Steve Nally for autographing it.

Mike Veach

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.