Sazerac Cocktail

Gillman
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

Happy Thanksgiving everyone!

As I sit here trapped in the house by a monsoon, I've been enjoying my own interpretation of the Gillman Sazerac.

* Pour a small amount of Sambucca into a snifter and swirl around. Dump any excess.

* Add 1 tsp maple syrup.

* Add 2 oz. Four Roses SB or other high-rye bourbon.

* Add 1 tsp Stirings Blood Orange bitters (don't know how this rates in the world of bitters, but it looked interesting).

* Swirl vigorously, sniff, sip, enjoy.

Marvelous!

Sounds great Mike. I don't know how bitter that quantity of bitters would be, I might have used a quarter teaspoon only, but it sounds very good.

I have found that a low-rye bourbon just doesn't make it with this drink.

You need a high rye bourbon or rye proper or a blend of rye and bourbon.

Gary

Gary,

You brought up a good point that might freak people out about my above recipe. This brand of bitters comes in a fairly large bottle and I think is FAR less concentrated than most. A dash or 2 would hardly be noticed. At 1 tsp., I finally got a nice herbal undertone, reminding me of Chartreuse or Benedictine liquor.

I picked up some Angostora bitters last week and decided to make a Sazerac. I have some Absinthe that my wife brought back to me from the Czech Republic. I used about a 1/4 teaspoon to coat the inside of a chilled glass. I mixed 2 ounces of Sazerac Rye Whiskey 6YO with a tablespoon of sugar and 1/2 tablespoon of bitters and added to the chilled glass. It was excellent!

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.