Costa Rican Cigars

BourbonJoe
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

Just got back from a fishing trip to Quepos, Costa Rica. While there I picked up some very nice CR Churchills. The locals told me that most of the tobacco comes from Havana and the cigars are rolled in Costa Rica. Whatever????? the cigars are among the best I've had, and I've tried scores of cigars. My favorite "easy to get" cigars come from Nicaragua and Honduras. Dominicans are much too mild for me. usflag.gif

• 3 months later...

The locals told me that most of the tobacco comes from Havana and the cigars are rolled in Costa Rica. Whatever?????

Yea, I wouldn't belive that part either. I was at the RTDA in New Orleans a few weeks ago and there were two compainies with Costa Rican Puros there. Chaba and Dona Flor. Both were fairly good but a bit on the mild side. There are some great cigars from the area, but most are blends. Buccanero is one who makes great cigars but very little of the leaf is Costa Rican.

I must say that upon smoking the Costa Rican cigars, they had more than a resemblance to a GOOD Havana. I do believe I was smoking Cuban tobacco rolled in Costa Rica (for less than half the price).

Joe bandit.gif

• 1 month later...

Okay first off, please don't consider this *spam*...

I run a cigar website (herfersparadise.net), and I know cigars pretty well.

If you're really interested in Costa Rican cigars, the only one really worth trying is Don Tuto. It is a Costa Rican "puro" which means all the tobacco is Costa Rican.

Costa Rica does not produce many cigars compared to Nic, the DR, or Honduras. Part of this can be attributed to the fact that labor costs in Costa Rica are the highest in Central America. I spent some time down there last year and was amazed to learn that they have to bring in people from Nicaragua to pick coffee beans as the Costa Ricans will not work for that type money.

If anyone is interested in Don Tuto cigars, as far as I know you can only order them online from the manufacturer. They don't always have them (or have a limited selection). It looks like right now their selection is low. They are the most distinct tasting cigars I've ever smoked. Whether you personally will like the taste is hard to call; personally I love 'em.

I don't work for them or make a penney off 'em--I just know about 'em and like 'em--here's the link:

Don Tuto Cigars

Thanks to HP, I became aware of Don Tuto cigars and they're now a part of my regular rotation. I order the Maduro Presidentes and enjoy them fresh or aged. I find that when fresh, they have more of that Cuban twang taste that is unique. When allowed to dry, they seem to lose some of the twang.

Hey Zero,

Just got some of the Maduro Presidente's. They're pretty good. Thanks for the link.

Joe bandit.gif

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.