With steak?

Ghoste
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

So how many prefer wine with steak over whisky? I have been a wine drinker with red meat for a long time and I feel a little funny when I drink bourbon with my beef.

Anyone else?

I like a peppery red wine -- say, Shiraz/Syrah or Zinfandel -- with steak (beef), but almost always use a bourbon-based marinade if I'm preparing it myself. Old Forester 86 or Ancient Age 80 or 90 are good examples for use.

Bourbon before, and most definitely after (what better dessert?!), but not usually with any meal. I really need to try a bourbon marinade, though. It sounds intriguing.

I love bourbon, as everyone here knows. But, I'll take mine before or after dinner, please.

Yes, with steak I prefer good red wine. Bordeaux is my favorite, but I also enjoy Cabernet Sauvignon, Pinot Noir, Pitite Sirah, etc. The very best I ever had was a Chateau Margeaux, but it has become so pricy I can no longer afford it.

Sometimes I even enjoy Beaujolais with a steak dinner.

Tim

Old Forester 86 or Ancient Age 80 or 90 are good examples for use.

This intrigues me Tim. Why do you use relatively low proof bourbons for marinade? I started using Booker's in my marinades some years ago, as I became convinced that high proof bourbons produce a more flavorful meat.

...Why do you use relatively low proof bourbons for marinade?...

Because if I don't use them as marinade, I have to drink them. lol.gif

Seriously, I figure the cooking is going to 'burn off' much of the flavor anyway. I find the lower-proof versions are still high-enough proof to tenderize, and still impart what bourbon flavor is going to remain after cooking. Seems like a waste of Booker's and suchlike, to me.

Booker's has a nutty flavor that I find most disagreeable, so I don't drink it. It's damn good in a marinade however.

I admit I've been working on this same bottle of Booker's for three years now. I don't frequently bourbon marinate red meat, and maybe use 3 or 4 oz's when I do.

I do always have to have a snort just to see if I like it yet though. lol.gif

As a wine lover ever since I was old enough to know what wine was, I've been drinking flavorful reds of all stripes with my beef for 30+ years. However, since I became a Bourbon enthusiast around 4-5 years ago I will have bourbon with my steak and such about 25% of the time. I think it goes great together...so I say, do it, and who cares what the world thinks! Tom V yum.gif

OK....here's my recipie for the perfect bourbon steak. Make a thick paste of brown sugar and bourbon....start with a cup of brown sugar and add just enough bourbon to make a paste. Smother the rib eyes with the paste and set aside in a zip lock bag. Cook on the grill......but be careful as the coating tends to carmelize......move to the side to keep from burning. Bourbon and sweetness at its best. Also works well cooked on a cedar plank like salmon.

Randy

• 3 weeks later...

I always have bourbon with steak. I always sip some while barbequing it. grin.gifgrin.gif

toast.gif

• 9 months later...

I will second this, many months later! I had a nice glass of GT Stagg as I prepped my New York Steaks for the BBQ tomorrow night. A nice light rub of olive oil, a good coat of one of my favorite rubs, then I individually wrap them in plastic wrap and into the fridge for the night. The Stagg is gone, steaks are put to bed, and now it is bed for me.

Tomorrow evening I think I will open one of my WTRR 101's to enjoy during the cook. I will unwrap those babies and throw them on the grill, nice fire at about 1000 degrees! 90 seconds a side with a 45 second angle adjustment for perfect grill marks (I love nice grill marks). Then they come off the grill for 15 minutes while it cools down to 400. Back on they go for a finishing 4 minutes a side that should bring them to a nice medium rare. I will even leave them on longer for the well-done crowd. Should be a great day. Good friends...good drink...good food...Hmmmm, might have to change the order to Good Drink first...just another question to ponder over...while enjoying a good drink! Hope you are all having a great weekend as well.

:toast:

• 10 months later...
I like a peppery red wine -- say, Shiraz/Syrah or Zinfandel -- with steak (beef), but almost always use a bourbon-based marinade if I'm preparing it myself. Old Forester 86 or Ancient Age 80 or 90 are good examples for use.

As a barkeep for a fine dining restaurant, I might also recommend one of the new Malbecs from Argentina. They're nice, dry, reds that rival Cabernet Sauvignon as a great "steak wine"!

As for whiskey, if it's a BBQ'd steak, then yeah, I'll reach for a bourbon, something heavy and woody, like Booker's. Though I do admit that the Talisker 10-year scotch pairs pretty well with a good steak, too, particularly if it was dry-aged...

So how many prefer wine with steak over whisky? I have been a wine drinker with red meat for a long time and I feel a little funny when I drink bourbon with my beef.

Anyone else?

I also prefer wine with steak, in fact I almost never drink spirits with food.

I try and enjoy a lot of red wines with my steak, so many that I have a hard time keeping up with what I like. Some relatively recent successes include a Kendall Jackson Cabernet Sauvignon and a Coppola Diamond Label Claret. I am also very fond of Cotes du Rhone with beef, especially during the cold months.

Tim

As a barkeep for a fine dining restaurant, I might also recommend one of the new Malbecs from Argentina. They're nice, dry, reds that rival Cabernet Sauvignon as a great "steak wine"!

As for whiskey, if it's a BBQ'd steak, then yeah, I'll reach for a bourbon, something heavy and woody, like Booker's. Though I do admit that the Talisker 10-year scotch pairs pretty well with a good steak, too, particularly if it was dry-aged...

Can you recommend a good malbec? I have thus far been underwhelmed with the examples of the varietal that I have tasted.

Jeff, Have you tried Almos Malbec. I must admit this is the only Malbec I can recall having recently, and after years of working in wine-intensive restaurants, I have adopted a "just drink it" attitude.

Having recently returned from 10 days in Argentina including 4 in the Mendoza wine region, I'll offer my opinion. As stated above, the malbecs tend to have a drier and sometimes short finish. If you're expecting a real fleshy rich finish like you find in some CA cabs, you probably won't find it in a malbec. None the less, we found many that we really enjoyed. Here are my opinions on some you might find here in the US.

Catena Zapata makes a wide range of wines at various price points. Their "Catena" malbec is good at $18 and their "Alta" is very nice at $40.

Acheval Ferrer makes great malbecs, but can be hard to find and a little pricey.

Tikal makes many excellent wines including their malbec at $25 and a red blend (called "Amore" if I recall) at $20.

O. Fournier makes a nice blend of tempranillo and malbec. Their "B Crux" is very nice and should run about $20.

I was disappointed with Salenteins wines as I found their malbecs finish to be too short.

Alta Vista makes a great reserve malbec for about $35.

In summary, I'd try the Catena Malbec for $18 to see if you like a "typical" good quality malbec. You may find you simply prefer a cab with your steak.

Coincidentally, I am planning on bringing some of these wines to Bardstown for the Sampler dinner.

Randy

Can you recommend a good malbec? I have thus far been underwhelmed with the examples of the varietal that I have tasted.

My pick so far would be Kaiken Ultra (I got it for $18 on Chairman's Special, but I don't know what it actually goes for). The grapes are harvested from both Argentina and Chile.

I also have one called "ñ" (pronounced "en-yay"), but I haven't cracked it open yet. I'll let you know in the coming weeks what I think of it.

But even the best Malbecs can be an acquired taste, like a Cabernet Franc.

I'm with Tim on this one...

I quite often like a small whiskey before dinner, either indoors or out at a restaurant and usually one after.

If I'm out it will have to be wine with the food and whiskey (if they stock one I like) after the meal.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.