BOTM, 8/05: Old Fitzgerald BIB

jeff
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

Bourbon of the Month, August 2005:

Old Fitzgerald BIB

Bold, yet refined. Tasty, yet affordable. Old Fitz is one of the classic wheaters from a by-gone era, which continues strong into the new millennia. Take this opportunity to comment on the Old Fitzgerald of today, and how you think it has held up over time.

893drillsergeant-thumb.gifSound Off 893drillsergeant-thumb.gif

Jeff,

Unfortunately, you have picked one that is not available in PA and I have not seen in my travels. I will anxiously wait to hear the reviews however.

Joe usflag.gif

Great, I just bought the Jefferson Reserve Saturday night. At least it was on sale. I had to spring into action, as once a month a large liquor store here has "Family Day" (no, it doesn't mean 12 year olds picking up kegs), where all liquor is 15% off. BTW, it wasn't too shabby, but there are better at $40.00. Well, looks like a run to the liquor store is in order...

Haven't found it so far, but I'll redouble my efforts and check with some of the smaller establishments here in town. I'm not optimistic about my chances however, so I may have to sit this month out.

Not by design it was (in terms of BOTM) that I picked this up in Providence, RI over the weekend but glad Providence has given me the chance to comment. smile.gif Jeff, I agree it is bold and a good value. It has an interesting "fresh wood" background somewhat like Evan Williams' whiskeys but without the twang from the rye. The alcohol is well melded, it is not hard to drink neat. But it lacks the finesse and peanut-like (or pecan-like as Mike Veach has said) concentrated sweetness I recall from the 1970's S-W versions and have actually tasted in historic examples of Old Fitz Bonded, once incredibly in the presence of the Van Winkles. The current issue isn't in the same class, on the other hand, it is an inexpensive whiskey that offers excellent value. Apart from the somewhat unrefined flavor I find it lacks in the finish which seems a bit ragged and incomplete. (On the other hand this factor might disappear if consumed on the rocks or in a highball, I did not try it iced). I plan to blend it with more costly bourbon (e.g. I think it would work well with a bourbon like Elmer T. Lee or any rich bourbon in fact) and with cocktails. This would make a great Manhattan. By the way I don't know how old it is but I'd bet at least 8 years if not more, it shows good age in the taste.

Gary

I'm not complaining, but it (or any Old Fitzgerald bottling) is not available in my area.

I'm looking forward to hearing about everyones' experiences.

Tim

How's this for an oddity -- I CAN find Old Fitz BIB occasionally in older stores -- and I never pass it up -- but it virtually always is Stitzel-Weller. Our area distributors dropped it before Heaven Hill bought the label, so I don't have any of the current bottling(s), though I almost always have either the 80-proof Prime or BIB from late-S/W days open.

Anyway, the Old Fitz BIB currently open is a 200ml (thanks, Dawn toast.gif -- she was in TN last week and stopped by and gave it to me), strip-stamped bottle that carries a TN shoulder tax stamp, which was discontinued in 1992. The bottom of the bottle indicates it dates from 1988 -- so this is mid-'80s distillate at the latest.

So, will y'all settle for that -- it's the best I can do?!

The nose is an olio of dark brown sugar, caramel and maple syrup, and both its depth and the whiskey's color signal this is more than the standard BIB's 4 years old.

Wow! This has pedal-to-the-metal alcohol heat, but largely tempered by the sweetness of the wheat. It explodes at mid-palate, slowly tapering though a medium-long finish. The astringent oak notes also indicate more than the minimum age. There is some noticeable cinnamon/black pepper spiciness leading to the finish (I've always found that remarkable about S-W wheat: its rye-like spiciness). The sweet-hot spices blow away the wood acidity at the finish.

I like it -- but this is outdoor, winter flask bourbon (seems funny to say that about a wheater). It has a warm substance.

Some technical stuff (courtesy of Mike Veach, historian and former UD archivist in the last days of Stitzel-Weller, from his contemporaneous notes): the Stitzel-Weller mashbill was roughly 75% corn, 20% wheat, 5% barley malt, and barreled at 110 proof (UD increased that to 114 proof when the Bernheim distillery started making the recipe -- don't know what HH uses). The small amount of malt meant that enzymes had to be added to convert the sugars to alcohol. It may also be a part of what made/makes S-W wheat so distinctive.

I've only seen one post SW OFBIB collecting dust on the bottom shelf of a small shop. It was $18. Is that the typical going price? Not sure if it's available anymore in Northern California. Any fellow Bay Area members see any?

I like the Old Fitz BIB, Tina is lukewarm on it. I've never had the S-W version. Even though inexpensive, in our house, it has premium status since it's unavailable in VA. It seems like a totally different whiskey than the 80, which has a blandness that is not IMHO explained by proof alone.

In honor of the BOTM, I poured one this evening. The nose is dynamic - slightly floral, changing to an odor I could only describe as "sweet," even though that's not really a specific scent, then to strong vanilla after a couple of minutes. The mouth is full but not exactly heavy, honey on the end of the tongue, then in the back a flavor that I would describe as "peppery." Although very different bourbons, the pepper flavor reminds me just a bit of the old 8 year version of Fighting Cock. The finish is spicy, slightly warm, medium in duration.

This does not taste like the Weller varieties I've had. I can't really say how it compares to the older version...until I cross paths with Tim and he's in a sharing mood! wink.gif

Good choice for BOTM, Jeff! toast.gif

This is one I happened to have on hand but as yet unopened, so thought last night would be appropriate to give it a try. Pretty sure it's a recent bottle. Seems to have very limited distribution here in MA (only one store that I've ever seen).

Started neat in a tumbler, and was very surprised about how aromatic it was -- dried fruits, vanilla, spice, etc. Quite complex and very enjoyable to smell. In terms of taste, a bit prickly/unsmooth at first, but this diminished with time. Fairly flavorful/complex, and the finish was decent but unremarkable. Switched to ice, and it stood up well but not as complex. Ended with a dryish Manhattan drinking.gif, and thought it was good but not great -- the bourbon seemed to meld into the background somewhat.

Overall, especially for drinking neat and considering the price ($14?), I was quite impressed. Think I liked it more than the OF 1849 and almost as much as the VSOF, although I haven't had the latter in quite some time so couldn't be sure.

Cheers,

John

Not available to me either. Perhaps some of the tasting notes could relate it to other bourbons?

Bob

One store in WA state has OF Prime Bourbon, and OF Very Special 12 YO. No BIB.

It'll be interesting to read any tasting notes on this.

toast.gif

I haven't been able to find it either. There are still some places I can check. I do have the Old Fitz 1849. I had a big pour of that, at least a triple, Tuesday night. before taking the first sip I set it down next to the bed and read my son a bedtime story. The nose wafted over to me from about a yard away. Lovely fruitiness. Of course, I enjoyed drinking it too! Very enjoyable bourbon. In case I can't find the Old Fitz BIB can someone compare it to the 1849?

Ed

I'm finding the nose a bit on the closed side, at least with this initial pour. A bit floral, pleasant but a bit weak.

On the palate, I'm finding it to be quite good. I'm finding a strong honey note to it, with just a touch of spice in the background (not the strong cinnamon I find in OGD 114, Stagg, or ORVW 15). The finish is short-to-medium, a bit of wood and warmth. It's hard to believe it's 100 proof.

Overall, I like it a lot, and it's a steal at $18 for a liter. I'd say it's a good pick. yum.gif

I am still looking for this as well. But at least I've got others to keep me compamy. Other bourbons that is.

Thought I'd try to help out on the tasting notes. Not currently having the OFBIB in the house I'll turn to "The Book of Bourbon" by Regan and Regan pope.gif(copyright 1995) pgs 168-169:

" Tasting Notes

Old Fitzgerald Bourbon, 80*

Old Fitzgerald, Bottled in Bond, 100*

Nose: Light and aromatic with hints of citrus and a nice balance of butterscotch and vanilla. A hint of fruitiness (berries) is present in the 100*-proof bottling.

Mouth: A medium body with a lean, assertive palate-- Tobacco, leather and a nice balance of butterscotch and vanilla. The 100*-proof bottling bears a hint of oak. The finish is medium-long and very gentle."...

"Old Fitzgerald 1849 Bourbon, 8 years old, 90*

Nose: Rich and almost "oily," with oak, leather, butterscotch and just a hint of mint.

Mouth: A big soft body, very mellow and sophisticated. The palate has developed more fruit than the previos two bottlings, but the masculine notes of tobacco and leather are still present. The finish is long soft and soothing."

and just to complete the Old Fitz list:

"Very Special Old Fitzgerald, 12 years old, 90*

Nose: Rich and fruity with lots of berries and a hint of leather.

Mouth: A huge body, soft and honeyed, a touch of vanilla, some butterscotch, lots of deep, dark fruits and still the whiskey's high notes shine though with the now familiar balance of leather and tobacco. The finish is very long, very warm, and very soothing."

Now, although these tasting notes are now a decade old, the last time I tried the 1849 and the VSOF they still applied... Must try these again soon.

Anyway thats about the best i can do for now, hope it helps anyone who wanted to know more about the Old Fitz line.

No wonder the 1849 and 12 year old were so good, it was all Stitzel-Weller production. smile.gif

Gary

Always have I been a big proponent of the Old Fitz BIB and when I did a tasting recently of a selection of Bernheim-made wheaters, I put it near the top against several older and more costly expressions. It has a nice balance of sweetness and char, with an edge some of the older expressions lack. Since a current bottle probably represents Parker and Craig Beam's efforts at Bernheim, that bodes well for the future of wheated bourbons made there. This would be one of my desert island picks, something I could drink every day if necessary. Also a great value.

• 2 weeks later...

I finally got to the liquor store over the weekend and picked up a bottle of Old Fitz BIB, and I cracked it open tonight. For perspective, I side-by-sided it with Maker's Mark and Weller 12yo, and it held up pretty well in that older, more expensive company. It's a little higher proof, but I don't think that explains all the spicy, lively character. I thought it had the most interesting nose initially, but after the glasses had had a while to breathe the Weller developed an almost candy-like nose that was quite alluring.

I think the Old Fitz BIB is going to join the bottle of Old Grand-Dad BIB that I keep upstairs for casual use. (It's not quite a "bunker", but most of the collection resides on shelves in the basement.) It's a pretty tasty pour, and a hell of a bargain.

I'm hoping that before August is through I can get a couple of my bourbon-drinking pals over and have a blind tasting, and get some decent tasting notes.

Personally, I like this bourbon a lot. There is a lot of smoke and vanilla on the nose that translates to caramel on the palate. There is also a yeastiness to the bouquet, kind of a biscuit quality, that I find appealing. Notes of cinnamon and leather round out the finish, which is medium in length. Overall a quality pour for the price. I wish more of you had access to this one.

This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject!