Researching Old Bourbon

brewcrew
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

I recently came across a bottle of Old Rosebud. I have spent a lot of time looking for information on the web but have not found much. I was wondering what websites people use for their research? The things I am looking for is the period Old Rosebud was produced (I think I have at least found 1900-1940 approximately) and maybe the year my bottle was distilled. It has the distillery number, maybe name of distillery (but I forget) and a partial tax stamp. I haven’t had the chance to try old whiskey/bourbon and would like to learn more about this bottle before I sample it.

Are there websites that list distillery numbers? Can you find the year of a product by the number on the tax stamp. Thanks.

Check the name in www.pre-pro.com, a historic shot glass site. It may have information on the name in the trade names list. You have to search around a little on the site to figure out how to do this, but it may help.

Gary

Thanks Gary. That was actually the only site I found on my own that was helpful. It gave me some general info but not the detail I was looking for. The other site I found that looked interesting was Whisky Portal but it did not turn up anything regarding Old Rosebud.

Okay well, if you could post a picture showing all detail that would help the sleuths here. E.g., the distillery number is important.

gary

The purpose of my original post was to find out if there were 3 or 4 good websites for researching this type of information that everyone typically used. I wanted to be able to research on my own and not rely on others to do my dirty work although any help I receive is greatly appreciated. It sounds like this type of research just requires general digging which is what I was afraid of.

I did not get a chance to take a picture but here is the info I could read. The bottle looks like it has been through some rough times.

-At distillery bonded warehouse No. 19

-5th District of KY

-Permit No. KY P-19 (either P or D, hard to tell)

-Produced by E.L. Miles & Co.

-Distillery No. 146

-The tax stamp where I think the year would be has deteriorated. The other number from the tax stamp appears to be 2215783 L26 but is very difficult to read.

Anything to steer me in the right direction would be greatly appreciated.

I found this info in Sam Cecil's book, The Evolution of the Bourbon Whiskey Industry In Kentucky.

The 5th district of Kentucky included Bullitt, Henry, Larue, Laurel, Marion, and Nelson counties

Distillery no. 146 was New Hope Distillery Co., Inc, New Hope, KY Nelson County. It also operated as E. L. Miles & Co. producing a sweet mash whiskey by that name (I'm guessing that means it was called E L Miles)

The plant never reopened after prohibition.

Hope this helps with your search.

Thanks. That at least narrows it down to pre prohibition/prohibition whiskey. If it is any good I will have to save some for a gazeebo sampling in the future as I can unfornately not make it to the festival this year.

I have not opened it yet and 1/4 of the pint has evaporated. The cork looks pretty rotten but there is no cork in the bottle (the bourbon is a clear dark brown). Any recommendations for storing it other than recorking it?

If anyone comes across other websites that are good for general historical information, I would be glad if they could pass it on to me.

• 6 months later...

:grin: I have some "Old Ezra rare old sippin whiskey' 15 year old genuin straight bourbon whiskey...... all this is what it has on the bottle plus more on the bottle it also came in a wooden crate for each bottle there is no stamp on it anywhere i hope someone can help me to find out more on this whiskey a gentleman from kentucky gave me this site tells me it may help

Well Teddy you have a jewel there. It has not been made for approx. 10 years or perhaps slightly longer, I believe. It was replaced by an Ezra-B 15 year old 99 Proof, which is also no longer made. Now, sadly, the oldest is a 12 y/o 99 Proof Ezra-B. The Old Ezra was bottled (not distilled) by David Sherman (now Luxco). I don't think anyone knows, with any certainty, who distilled it. It was one of my favorite bourbons and is sadly missed.

Joe

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.