Hunter Baltimore Rye & Hunter Whiskey

Guest **DONOTDELETE**
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

Guest **DONOTDELETE**

I am searching for information on the Hunter-Wilson Distilling Co. of Louisville, Ky and the Hunter Baltimore Rye Distillery, Inc. of Baltimore, Md. I started collecting advertising and items from both about a year ago, and have become very interested in their background. There doesn't seem to be much information available on these distilleries. I would appreciate any help you could give me on this or point me in the right direction. Thanks

All I know for a fact is that Seagrams acquired the Hunter and Wilson brands in 1941, which is probably how they came to be in Louisville. Seagrams built a large distillery there on 7th Street Road shortly after Repeal. Presumably, Hunter-Wilson was an independent rye distillery in the Baltimore area before that, possibly two independents that merged. At its, peak pre-prohibition, rye distilling was centered around Baltimore and Philadelphia. Rye did not fare well after prohibition and most of the companies were acquired by distilling interests who had most of their US operations in Kentucky.

--Chuck Cowdery

• 6 years later...

I know it's an old post, but i thought you might be interested in an 40's vintage large bronzed spelter bar display i have and might be persuaded to part with. If so email me and I can send pics and size details. this must be the holy grail of hunter whiskey collectibles.

• 1 month later...

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.