WT Rye Labels

Guest **DONOTDELETE**
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

Guest **DONOTDELETE**

Thanks for the reply Mr Cowdery. Another question about Wild Turkey Rye... I've seen two labels..the usual green label and then another resembling those of WT Bourbon. Are there any differences in these bottlings?

I can't say for sure, but probably not. Wild Turkey recently introduced new labels for its entire line, including the rye. I don't recall if the old label was green, but it could be that's what you saw. In other words, the store still had some older stock with the old label.

- chuck

Chuck Cowdery wrote:

"I can't say for sure, but probably not. Wild Turkey recently introduced new labels for its entire line,

including the rye. I don't recall if the old label was green, but it could be that's what you saw. In other

words, the store still had some older stock with the old label."

Yeah, the new labels all look alike for the lower proof, the "No 8" 101, the Rye, and even the 12YO.

I just finished a bottle of WT Rye I bought a year ago, and the label is a deep rich hunter Green.

Sort of like the old pre-WWII Lucky Strike packs, but more vivid.

I liked the old Rye label. Wish I hadn't thrown out the old bottle before I discovered they had changed it.

(Murray's "Classic Tennessee Bourbon & Rye" has a picture of the old label, though.)

Shoshani, he say:

"Yeah, the new labels all look alike for the lower proof, the "No 8" 101, the Rye, and even the 12YO."

More of this insane marketeer-driven "common brand identity" bullshit. As if having a TURKEY on the label didn't immediately identify it AS Wild Turkey and the green identify it as something DIFFERENT from Wild Turkey. Marketeers must think we all have brains the size of ... turkeys.

Lew Bryson

Hirsch Reserve 16 YO: Real Pennsylvania Bourbon

Nobody has mentioned it, but WT changed the bottles too. What's driving this is that WT's parent, Pernod Ricard, parted ways with Diageo after the merger brought other bourbons (the UDV lines) into the basket. Pre-merger, Grand Met handled WT's U. S. distribution. Now PR is handling WT marketing themselves. Ego-driven "not invented here" changes for the most part. New advertising too, except their media budget is so small, I've only seen it via the press releases.

- chuck

• 2 weeks later...
Guest **DONOTDELETE**

Michael wrote:

"Yeah, the new labels all look alike for the lower proof, the "No 8" 101, the Rye, and even the 12YO.

I just finished a bottle of WT Rye I bought a year ago, and the label is a deep rich hunter Green.

Sort of like the old pre-WWII Lucky Strike packs, but more vivid.

I liked the old Rye label. Wish I hadn't thrown out the old bottle before I discovered they had changed it.

(Murray's "Classic Tennessee Bourbon & Rye" has a picture of the old label, though.)"

I've attached a pic of the old label. The new label is the same as the other products that Michael mentioned with the exception of the foil neck capsule, it's green as opposed to gold on the other products.

Cheers,

Bushido

post-2-1448981103094_thumb.jpg

Hey Bushido,

I just noticed on your attached Wild Turkey rye label, it says,"Bottled by"

I wonder who's whiskey that is?

Julian

Guest **DONOTDELETE**

Julian,

Your guess is as good as mine. The back label only says "Distilled in Kentucky". Jim Murray speculates that it is made at the Wild Turkey distillery (formerly JTS Brown) in Lawrenceburg, KY but once a year (see page 197, "Classic Bourbon, Tennesee & Rye Whiskey", ISBN# 1-85375-218-5). I guess I always assumed the "Bottled by" just meant that WT contracts with parent Austin Nichols to bottle the whiskey since there's no bottling line at the distillery. Is there some other story behind this?

Cheers,

Bushido

The former JTS Brown Distillery is present day Four Roses (Seagrams). It's on the other side of town. There may be some confusion because the warehouses on the property are owned by Wild Turkey. Seagrams ages its whiskey at a site near Bardstown.

Wild Turkey is made at the Boulevard Distillery, which is actually at a wide spot in the road called Tyrone, right on the Kentucky River. That distillery was built by the Ripy brothers, who also developed the plant Julian VanWinkle now owns, which is also in the country going the other direction from Lawrenceburg. For most of its history, Wild Turkey Bourbon wasn't made at any single distillery. Austin Nichols bought bourbon from a number of sources, including Boulevard. I think it acquired the plant sometime in the 1980s. The use of "bottled by" on the label may be a legacy of that practice, even though today they make all of their own bourbon, and rye, at the Boulevard plant.

Unless they closed it recently, there is a bottling house at Boulevard. It's the first building you come to after you cross the road from the visitor's center.

- chuck

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.