Rye for my dad

cowdery
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

My dad expressed interest in having some rye whiskey, like he remembers from the 30s and 40s (Dad is 80 years old). I got him a bottle of Wild Turkey rye and we shared some over the Thanksgiving weekend. He liked it but was disappointed that it didn't taste like he remembered rye whiskey tasting. He remembers it tasting like rye bread.

Any suggestions?

--Chuck Cowdery

Guest **DONOTDELETE**

Old Overholt.

Also, remember that what most Americans called "rye" in the '30s and '40s was what we now call "Canadian". Although I can't really think of any Canadian whiskey with a "rye bread" flavor (or any other flavor, come to think of it)(shut up, John!)(sorry, couln't help it), a good full-flavored Canadian might be just what your father would enjoy. Bushido follows this forum, and he hosts his own forum specializing in Canadian whiskey (http://clubs.yahoo.com/clubs/beautyeh); I'll bet he could recommend something that would hit the spot.

=John=

http://w3.one.net/~jeffelle/whiskey

Guest **DONOTDELETE**

I'm not sure of a Canadian that tastes like rye bread, but there are several recent Canadians with a very high rye content. Two of the best would be Lot 40, which even uses some malted rye; and Alberta Premium which is 100% Rye.

John A. Dube

Having sold Canadian Mist in a previous life, I am somewhat familiar with whiskies from Canada. Most rye whisky from Canada is a blend of several different ages, similar to most scotches. To find a blend consistent from the days your father remembers, will be next to impossible to find. If you have not tried some of Julian's products, I would suggest them. If I may be so bold, I would suggest the new Sazerac 18 year old Rye Whiskey. We also have a 4 year old rye, also known as Sazerac, but until recently, we only produced it as the signature brand for a new chain of restaurants (Zazerac's). This chain is being started by the Outback Steakhouse folks.

Ken

Guest **DONOTDELETE**

Chuck,

The obvious answer is to come to the Master Distiller Auction next year and buy him a bottle of Prohibition era rye. This gets him some of the rye he remembers and helps raise money for the museum.

Mike Veach

Guest **DONOTDELETE**

Chuck, did you ever find the right rye whiskey for your dad? What I said about Canadian whiskey having little or no flavor was a bit facetious of course, but that was what Americans called "rye whiskey" in those days. I think someone mentioned Lot No. 40 (a "new" Canadian - one of the Whiskey Guild collection just now becoming available in the U.S.), and, as you already know, I'm particularly fond of that brand and especially its sweet-rye style. They didn't have that brand back then, but they did have Old Overholt, which is very similar in style. If National and/or Beam reduced the original Overholt flavor, it may once have tasted like Lot No. 40. Try one or both of these and let us know how Dad likes it.

=John=

http://w3.one.net/~jeffelle/whiskey

I'm pretty sure Dad knows the difference between American rye and Canadian whisky. The habit of calling Canadian whiskey "rye" is most common in the states that border Canada, whereas Dad grew up in St. Louis and probably had his first rye whiskey there, or while in college at Missouri, or in the Army during WWII. He originally asked for Old Overholt (not available in Ohio) but also wanted a 100 proof, so we went with the Wild Turkey instead. I may take a bottle of Overholt, since that isn't a very big investment, when I see him at Christmas.

He isn't that much of a drinker so if I keep getting him bottles, it will be my brother and I who consume them. Not that that is a bad thing.

--Chuck Cowdery

• 6 months later...

Hi,

I still have some of that Old Overholt 1810 Rye ( Michters Distillery but bottled in Ohio) if you want to try some someday. I let Gary Regan have some recently, He said it was "Phenomenal" ( When it comes from Gary that means something. Maybe we can figure out a way to safely seal some up and send it to you ( Hate to have it leak)

Chris

The Pleasures of Exile are Imperfect at Best, At Worst They Rot the Liver

Chris,

Thanks for the kind offer. On a recent visit to dad, I noticed that the bottle of Wild Turkey Rye shows more use than the Old Overholt.

Old Overholt was part of National before it was absorbed by Jim Beam. They had a large plant in Cincinnati, which is I assume where the Old Overholt was bottled.

--Chuck Cowdery

Chuck

I was in Louisville over the weekend and picked up Julians 12yr old--OLD TIME RYE and it is excellent! everyone knows i prefer the wheated bourbons, especially OLD FITZGERALD 100 proof but the RIP VAN WINKLE OLD TIME RYE sure is worth the $20 and to me its better than WILD TURKEY RYE. whether it tastes like the rye your DAD use to drink in the old days i really don't know but someone on the forum may know. that V W 15yr old 107proof sure is great too and i may be drinking just a little too much of both of them.

LIFE IS GOOD--den

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.