Aging...Back to the Future

Guest **DONOTDELETE**
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

In my defense, the gift of the VVO Fitz was on the occasion of my graduation from law school. Everyone knows I enjoy fine spirits, so a lot of my gifts were along those lines. The VVO Fitz was merely the most distinguished. I don't recall exactly how long it was before I cracked the seal, but it was no more than a couple of months. It may have been a couple of days. In other words, I totally agree with you and don't understand the appeal of collecting unopened bottles with no particular intention to ever open them. As far as I'm concerned, whiskey don't keep.

--Chuck Cowdery

Don't forget guys, you can't take it with you-so ENJOY!.

Chuck, I'm very envious of you having that bottle of VV Old Fitz that my father made in the 60's. NOBODY makes whiskey like that anymore.

Julian

It is a delight and I am savoring every drop.

BTW, I got your sister's book today and it looks terrific. More after I have had a chance to read it. My kudos to both of you for embracing your legacy and keeping the spirit alive.

--Chuck Cowdery

Guest **DONOTDELETE**

Yes, let me add a plug in here, too. Linda bought me (us) a copy of the book (But Always Fine Bourbon - Pappy Van Winkle & the Story of Old Fitzgerald) for Christmas. She couldn't find it anywhere and ended up locating the publisher and calling them on the phone. Sally Campbell (Julian's sister) autographed the book for us, and when we went to visit Julian in February, he did, too. It really is an impressive work, and she can be very proud of it. The book itself, aside from the contents, is a work of art. Obviously, no expense was spared to produce an impressive work. The paper, the binding, the multiple stock used, everything about this book just screams "quality". And the contents are no less impressive. We have a lot of bourbon-oriented books in our collection, but none give this kind of perspective. When you read a book (or at least when I do) you imagine someone is speaking to you. In this book, the "someone" is a little girl, telling her fifth or sixth grade class about her summer visiting at her grampa's company plant. I'd sure love if my own grandaughter would be able to write a book like that. Pappy would be really proud to read this book. By the way, sentiment aside, the fully adult Sally Campbell has taken care to put plenty of real information into this book, so it's not just a bunch of sentimental "stuff". It belongs in ANY serious collector's library.

-John Lipman-

http://w3.one.net/~jeffelle/whiskey

Guest **DONOTDELETE**

I can understand not cracking open a good bottle immediately. For example, I received a bottle of Pappy's 20 Year Reserve for Christmas, and I still haven't opened it -- I feel like I should wait for a special occasion or something, especially since I have a couple of other bottles of great stuff to go through right now (Woodford Reserve and Buffalo Trace).

Oh well... with finals over in a few weeks, I may have to open that bottle up, especially after my Property exam (those of you who went through law school know what I'm talking about....for the rest of you, imagine algebra/calculus word problems without equations to work with).

Good drinking all,

DirtyCowboy

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.