Picking up a still for the garage.

jkiiha
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

Legality notwithstanding, the website listed below might be of some interest to the prospective moonshiner in all of us. Apparently, you can pick up a still for around $500.00 NZ (I have no idea how that converts). You can also pick up a quart of "Premium Bourbon Flavoring" (whatever the hell that is) for $8.00 NZ.

Somehow, I think that I would be unable to trust any type of bathtub gin I whipped up myself. Perhaps its just an unreasonable fear of blindness.

Anyway, here it is:

http://moonshine.co.nz.

Guest **DONOTDELETE**

J, that's a pretty whacked-out still. Looks to be based on a stainless steel New Zealand version of a milk can. That pipe comming straight out of the top with no horn or other device for vapor collection would lead to a very high degree of reflux action during distillation. I'll work but the distillate would most likely be plenty damn harsh.

You could fabricate a traditional copper still yourself for half that price, and produce a far better liquor.

Linn Spencer

Have Shotglass. Will Travel.

The setup looked kind of amateurish to me as well. Somewhere, in one of the guy's newsletters (archived on his site), he recommends against use of copper pot stills as they "adversely react with the distillate." He also advises that distillate produced by the "milkjug" is mixed with tomato paste to remove fusel alcohols and other impurities.

With stellar advice like that, I get the feeling that Jimmy Russell isn't going to hire the Moonshine Co. on as technical advisors to Wild Turkey. Regardless, you've got to admire the bravery of anyone with the guts to drink the rocket fuel produced out of that thing.

Guest **DONOTDELETE**

J who says that turkey drinks anything produced by that milkjug?

You want rocket fuel? I'll give you some Blue Ridge Mountain Rocket Fuel.

Just show up for the Bourbon Festival in Bardstown Kentucky.

What I'll be abringing you won't be soon forget'n.

It's a Southern thing. No you won't go blind. It don't come out'n no milk jug neither!

All Copper. All the time.

Linn Spencer

Hell, Linn, I may have to take you up on that. I've been working on the wife for sometime on a return trip to Kentucky. I could make her happy, stay at the Beaumont Inn in Harrodsburg. Drink heavily in Bardstown. Slip into a coma while she drives me back to drier counties.

By the way, doesn't drinking the "fresh product" of a copper pot violate some kind of bluesman's code about drinking from an unsealed bottle?

Jay.

Guest **DONOTDELETE**

No Jay only empty bottles violate the bluesman's code.

Linn Spencer

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.