Duty Free Only

johnrobe
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

hello fellow bourbon lovers!

Does it irritate anyone else when a distillery's best Bourbon goes only to the international market or Duty Free and is not available in the good 'ol USA?

Some examples are the Gold and Silver label Blanton's and the Black and Gold (not the VIP but the 100 proof) wax Maker's Mark (I know there are some Maker's detractors here, but I think their 100 proof is superior to their mass market offering).

I've even considered hunting for an old flight receipt for a trip I took to London a few years back, just to see if I could make a purchase in Duty Free...hoping that they don't look at the date on the ticket.

I realize that Duty Free businesses have some pull with distilleries for the amount of business they do and that some markets will pay more for premium bourbon than the U.S. market, especially when that product is exclusively for them (I'm thinking in particular of the Japanese), however, can't the distilleries throw us a bone?....like put their good stuff on the U.S. market around Christmas or Independence Day?

Cheers,

John

This subject has come up before. For a variety of reasons, bourbon makers offer different products in different markets. Lots of stuff available in Duty Free isn't available in the USA, just as lots of stuff available in Japan isn't available here and, of course, vice versa in both cases. By the same token, there is stuff available in Kentucky that isn't available in Chicago. Yes, it's frustrating, because I'm an American and I want everything, and I want it now. On the other hand, lots of the "difference" is just different packaging, or a slight difference in proof. Bottom line, I don't get too worked up about it. I've got plenty to drink.

<A target="_blank" HREF=http://cowdery.home.netcom.com>--Chuck Cowdery</A>

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.