You know you're a rye fiend when...

CrispyCritter
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

...you decide to take a 300+ mile round-trip color tour, and you make sure that it passes through Plymouth, Wisconsin.

I completely overlooked the Steven Foster, but a bottle of Fleischmann's Rye and a VWFRR "G" series bottle :woohoo: :woohoo: came home with me. It has been almost a year since I last saw VWFRR on the shelf in Chicagoland.

I'm currently sipping some of the Fleischmann's, and it's quite impressive for something that costs about $17 for a 1.75 liter bottle! The nose is a bit weak, but the palate's good - a bit sweet, but not bourbon sweet. The finish is a bit oaky, but not objectionably so. I'd love to see this available south of the Cheese Curtain. Certainly, Chicago is itself a rye stronghold, so it would fit right in.

My take: for ultra-low-price ryes, Rittenhouse 80 had the edge for the nose, Fleischmann's has the edge on the palate, and Old Overholt falls in the middle on both. Rittenhouse BIB is still the king of the category, though.

Back in the days before rye became easier to get in KY I used to make the round trip from Louisville to Chicago to pick up some Old Potrero and BMH Rye and Rittenhouse at Sams. What a great trip, leave before the sun comes up and be back home around midnight. I sometimes think Indiana is nothing but a barrier between Louisville and Chicago.

I sometimes think Indiana is nothing but a barrier between Louisville and Chicago.

HEY!! You leave Indiana out of this!!! :grin: :grin: :grin:

P.S.

I have half a bottle of Wt101 in me.

HEY!! You leave Indiana out of this!!! :grin: :grin: :grin:

P.S.

I have half a bottle of Wt101 in me.

I sure wish I could leave it outta that drive:lol:

Maybe we should put together a Chicago cheap rye tasting---how about Fleischmann's, Steven Foster, Old Overholt, Jim Beam and Rittenhouse 80? Those are all similar ages, proofs and prices. It would be fun to taste them blind and compare notes. I've got the first three if somebody can provide the other two. Who's up for it?

Sounds good to me - I have both Rittenhouse 80 and BIB, and I could always grab a JB Rye (which I haven't tried yet).

This could end up being a public transportation night for me. ;) Fortunately, I live within walking distance of a Metra station.

Maybe we should put together a Chicago cheap rye tasting---how about Fleischmann's, Steven Foster, Old Overholt, Jim Beam and Rittenhouse 80? Those are all similar ages, proofs and prices. It would be fun to taste them blind and compare notes. I've got the first three if somebody can provide the other two. Who's up for it?

Well, I have the latter two -- but you're 600 miles away.:skep:

Hey! Where is the WT Rye?

I have WT Rye, Old Overholt, and Jim Beam Rye, plus Olde Saint Nick Winter Rye, but that doesn't count as it isn't widely available. Of the three that count, WT Rye far outshines the others as far as I am concerned.

Ed

MA has become a rye outpost over the past year. I don't know why, but we love it! WT rye is everywhere, and if you know where to look you can usually find: Rittenhouse, Beam, Potrero, Pikesville, Overholt, Saz Sr., Saz Jr., VWFRR, BMH.

The only ones I can't get are Foster and Fleischmann's, although I had a mule bring me back a few jugs of Fleischmann's this summer from WI.

Around here, WT Rye at ca. $20/750 ml doesn't quite fall into the cheap category - but it is indeed good.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.