Bourbon and cola

mrt
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

Bourbon and cola?  

258 members have voted

1. 1. Bourbon and cola?

• I like
    • I don't like
    • So so

Good bourbon-- I drink it straight, with a small splash of water.

Cheap bourbon-- with cola.

My favorite combo-- Old Crow and Pepsi!

One of my favorites is only possible if I get to KY or get someone to bring me some Ale 8 it is great with Bourbon and they are the only one to make this wonderful old KY soda treat not to sweet with a little fruit in the flavor the Bourbon just jumps out at you! Coke is too frizy and Sweet!

Dave Z

Old Hickory America's most magnificent Bourbon

-----------------------------------------------------

The only thing I drink with cola is Cuervo Black Medallion and diet Coke with lime. Those Margarita drinks give me some serious sour stomach. If I want a mixed drink with bourbon, its ginger ale or nothing!

Thomas

I must admit that Jack and Coke is how I came to love bourbon straight. Twenty years ago, my buddy and I would go out for drinks. He would order a Jack and Coke and I would order my usual rum and coke. Every so often the waitress would accidently switch our drinks. I would take a good pull and think, "Man, that tastes good." He would do the same, make a sour face, and immediately switch our drinks. After a time or two of that, I just started ordering my own Jack and Coke.

Now, I only drink my whiskey with diet Coke at parties and that's only if the bourbon selection is weak. Otherwise, give it to me straight.

I like bourbon and "pop" too. I say pop, because I use different varieties with different bourbons. Since becoming a member of SB, I've started trying many different bourbons. To me, some taste good with one kind of pop, and some taste good with another. I won't bore you with all the combinations I like, and have tried, but my two favorite combos are: Maker's Mark and Sierra Mist Free, and good old Knob Creek and Coke. I use Pepsi, RC and Sprite at times but I've always got Coke and Sierra Mist Free on hand. Same as my bourbons. Joe

Fishnbowl joe, Here is a must try combo for you... Ginger Ale and WT rye 101. Yes, I know that the Rye isn't Bourbon but it is straight and American and an amazing combination. Post back here once you have tried it as I am curious to your thoughts. Cheers!

Don't have a bottle of WT rye, but I'll try it using the Templeton I have. Thanks for the suggestion. As a side note here, as far as cola's go, I really prefer RC. It's kinda fit's in snugly right between Coke and Pepsi. Not as sweet as Pepsi, and not as strong as Coke. Sometimes I'm at the mercy of my wife though. She'll buy what's on sale.:rolleyes: Joe

Tim, Tried your recipe today. Templeton and Ginger Ale. Not too bad! Didn't know what to expect, and ended up being pleasantly surprised. The Ginger Ale seemed to really mellow out the slightly bitter, harsh flavor I usually taste with Rye. A nice, smooth drink, with no aftertaste. I'll definitely have it again. Thanks again for the recipe. Joe

Tim, Tried your recipe today. Templeton and Ginger Ale. Not too bad! Didn't know what to expect, and ended up being pleasantly surprised. The Ginger Ale seemed to really mellow out the slightly bitter, harsh flavor I usually taste with Rye. A nice, smooth drink, with no aftertaste. I'll definitely have it again. Thanks again for the recipe. Joe

I am glad to hear that you liked the Rye and Ginger. Now I have a question. How is your Templeton Rye? I had a couple bottles of their first year that were great. Then I went to pickup bottle of their second year and it was way off (Really bad nose and after taste). Nowhere near as good as the Rittenhouse or WT. So much so that I haven't even looked to pickup another bottle. Of coarse the cost vs 80 proof and the fact that I have to trek to another state to buy it certainly doesn't help their cause any. Another tip to make an undrinkable whiskey drinkable put in 3 or 4 peppermint candy sticks and it suddenly becomes a Holiday drink.

Can't really give you a good answer about the Templeton. It's my first bottle of rye. Tasted okay to me. I don't think that rye, or bourbons with a higher rye content in the mash bill are my cup of tea. I much prefer the wheaters. I like bourbons that are sweet and smooth. The aroma was okay but have to agree with you about the after taste. The one I had with the ginger ale was good though. A bit smoother and very little after taste. Joe

Then you defineatly need to give the Rittenhouse BIB or WT rye 101 a try then. Those 2 ryes are in differnt league. If you can find it the Van Winkle Family Reserve Rye tops them all. There is a store up in south Beloit that carries both and might just have some of the VWFRR. I cannot remember the name though. I too very much like the wheaters they are some of my favs. But Good whiskey is good whiskey and you will know it when you try it. Sorry to all for corrupting this fine Bourbon thread with Rye.

• 3 weeks later...

Not a diet ginger ale, but you might want to give Sierra Mist Free a try. Joe

I would recommend Vernor's Diet Ginger Ale. Our Michigan friends will know all about Vernor's. Vernor's is from Detroit, or nearby.

But Vernor's has a kind of independent history in Ontario, where it has always been considered a "local" drink. That is, everyone knows it is from Michigan, but still, it's considered an Ontario drink too. (There are many connections between Ontario and Northern Michigan).

For a long time there was only the regular Vernor's, but now there is also the diet one. Both are excellent, with a full, gingery taste.

Gary

Now, (diet) ginger ale and rye-recipe bourbon is my thing, certainly (I prefer diet cola with wheaters). And Vernor's is a good one, if you can find it. Very pungent, like a ginger beer. Wal-Mart carries the diet version, if you don't live in an area that short-sightedly bans Wal-Mart.

But, frankly, I find even my local Kroger store-brand version is very respectable.

I prefer diet cola with wheaters). And Vernor's is a good one, if you can find it. Very pungent, like a ginger beer. Wal-Mart carries the diet version, if you don't live in an area that short-sightedly bans Wal-Mart.

But, frankly, I find even my local Kroger store-brand version is very respectable.

I picked up the Kroger the other day. It is just OK, but could use more pep as I like an assertive ginger ale. The Kroger reminds me of that Ale-8-1 they sell in Kentucky. I will hunt down the diet vernors. I sure did like their regular offering in the days before my diabetes. I have my pick of Wal Marts around here, though I try to avoid them due to the crowds.

As far as a diet cola w/ wheaters, I think Pibb Zero and Weller tastes like pecan pie. If you can't get Pibb Zero, Diet Dr Pepper is close.

By the way good old Canada Dry Ginger Ale is pretty good today. Some years ago it was reformulated (at least, that is my inference) to have a more assertive taste.

I find it very good with Jim Beam White. Beam White is really a bourbon for mixing, IMO. Its dryish, grainy edge blends very well with pop. A richer, sweeter bourbon often just won't be as good, or too sweet is another way to put it.

Coke Zero is offering a lot of options for mixed drinks today, I find. Its taste seems much more attuned to regular Coke than Diet Coke which to me has an odd, almost salty edge. I don't know how they do it with Coke Zero, but it is very close to a standard cola pop and therefore it mixes very well with all kinds of liquors.

Gary

Coke Zero is offering a lot of options for mixed drinks today, I find. Its taste seems much more attuned to regular Coke than Diet Coke which to me has an odd, almost salty edge. I don't know how they do it with Coke Zero, but it is very close to a standard cola pop and therefore it mixes very well with all kinds of liquors.

When Diet Coke was introduceed back in the early 1980s, it was given a different flavor profile from regular Coke, basically sweeter. When "New Coke" was introduced in 1984 it was essentially a non-diet version of Diet Coke.

Coke Zero has less sweetener and thus has a flavor profile closer to regular Coke.

However, some people (including me) can easily taste the artificial sweetener, and don't like Diet Coke/Coke Zero on its own (I've repeatedly demonstrated I can do this in blind tastings). I find I can tolerate a 50/50 blend of Coke and Coke Zero.

Modern Coke (American) is not the same as pre-1984 Coke. It used to be sweetened with sugar, but when they introduced "Coke Classic" in late 1984 they were using high-fructose corn syrup. Many people (the type given to conspiricy theories) believe the whole "New Coke" thing was just a way to cover the shift from sugar to HFCS.

Mexican Coke is still sweetened with sugar. I'm actually buying some later today to have on hand for a party Saturday. I plan to try mixing it with Coke Zero to see if the ratio can be altered to use more CZ and still keep it tolerable.

One possible benefit to the rising price of corn is that Coca-Cola may revert to sugar.

• 4 weeks later...

Just thought I'd post a little revelation I found, though I'm sure others around here already know this. A strong dash of bitters makes generic diet ginger ale come alive. Mix in some WT Rye, and, well, let's juts say Im making myself thirsty typing this.

I've never liked bourbon and cola. Haven't thought of ginger ale or Vernors.

But I'll tell you what I love: bourbon and root beer. Specifically Barq's; it has a tangy zest that sets off perfectly with the late lamented Bonded Old Forester.

For that matter, it is absolutely superb with a little Baby Saz.

I don't do any of this very often; when I'm in the mood for bourbon I like it neat. However, when I'm in the mood for Barq's, it definitely gets a little improvement from the addition of bourbon or rye.

I'm okay with anything/everything posted here because, ya know, each of us ought to drink our whiskey like we enjoy it. That IS the purpose.

Recently we were out of Coke in the house and my wife wanted a mix of bourbon with something else, so I found some Dr. Pepper. She really liked it and so I tried it.

I must say, Dr. Pepper and OGD ain't too shabby!

Often drink this when out on the town. I normally find it too sweet though (especially with 'post-mix' coke) so i drink it in a rocks glass full of ice with bourbon and then half coke half soda water to fill the glass. Gives more bourbon taste, less sweetness and less calories. Thats sounds like a good reason to me for you all to try one.

Cheers Jack

• 2 weeks later...

That sounds perfect and a variation on a Presbyterian, which is rye whiskey, ginger ale, soda water.

Gary

• 8 months later...

I like my bourbon OTR with a splash of water...I like my JD or GJ with Diet!

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.