Books about Bourbon

JRomain
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

So what are the must-have books on bourbon? I'm looking for something in-depth and with pictures...or really anything a bourbon lover might find essential. I like Jackson's "The Definitive World Guide", but it focuses on many types of whisk(e)y...which is good...but I'm looking for something strictly devoted to bourbon.

http://www.booksamillion.com/ncom/books?pid=0789497107&ad=FGLBKS

Bourbon Straight by Charles Cowdery. I thought it was a nice easy read with lots of good information.

And then this forum...

I really need to get some newer books as most of mine are getting terribly out of date. But here are the ones I like. These are all most likely out of print but Amazon usually has some used copies.

The Book of Bourbon and other fine American Whiskeys, Regan and Regan

(this one really needs an update)

The Evolution of the Bourbon Whiskey Industry in Kentucky, Sam K. Cecil

(this one is kinda for the bourbon geek/history buff)

But Always Fine Bourbon, Sally Van Winkle Campbell

(This one actually did get an update, but I have the older version)

Jim Murray updates fairly regularly, but the most recent one I have is from 1996, so I can't vouch for the quality of the recent editions. These do cover more than just bourbon, though.

But Always Fine Bourbon, Sally Van Winkle Campbell

(This one actually did get an update, but I have the older version)

[QUOTE][/QUOTE]

I have been debating getting this book.

Is it really worth it?

Can you sum it up a little for me?

Thanks,

Oscar

Bourbon Straight by Charles Cowdery.

The definitive book... before you buy any others, this is the one to get.

• 1 month later...
I have been debating getting this book.

Is it really worth it?

Can you sum it up a little for me?

The book is the story of the Van Winkle family in the bourbon business. The majority of the book focuses on Julian Van Winkle I and the Stitzel Weller distillery and the book is filled with first hand accounts from people who worked in the industry back then. If you are interested in the Van Winkle family, Stitzel Weller history, or just want a good book about bourbon then I'd say this book is for you. The book is also filled with old photographs, so if thats something you like consider it an added bonus. Well worth what I paid, ~$48 with shipping.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.