Remembering Glenmore

cowdery
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

The thread about Glenmore got me to thinking about that fine, old company.

The sale of Glenmore to UDV in 1991 was a real shame. In 1990-91, I worked on a big project for them, a comprehensive merchandising manual for all of their products. In retrospect, it may have been the catalog for the sale. Here is part of the introduction from that manual:

"Glenmore is an American-owned, publicly held, $370 million company, whose shares are traded on the American Stock Exchange. The company was founded in 1872. The third generation of the founding family still manages the company. Glenmore markets a complete portfolio of distilled spirits brands, with products in every category. Glenmore owns the facilities (distillery, warehouse, bottling plant) where its domestic brands are produced. The company is also an exporter and importer. Glenmore is growing, both through acquisition and through the creation of new brands. In addition to its distilled spirits products, Glenmore owns the Mr. Boston Official Bartender's Guide, the definitive drink mixing guide for professionals and amateurs alike. The Mr. Boston Official Bartender's Guide is one of the best-selling reference books of all time. With brands in every distilled spirits category, more than 100 brands in all, Glenmore is a significant force in the distilled spirits industry."

At that time, Glenmore's lead bourbon was Ezra Brooks. Second tier brands were Kentucky Tavern and Yellowstone. Third tier brands were Mellow Mash, Bourbon Supreme, Five Brothers, Kentucky Beau, Kentucky Bonded, Old Medley and Medley Brothers. In addition to the Medley line, they owned the whole Fleischmann's line. Their volume leader at the time was Skol vodka. It wasn't very profitable, but it moved a lot of volume.

Glenmore's biggest claim-to-fame was as the U.S. distributor for Amaretto DiSaronno, which it built into a major brand. In the early 1980s, the Italian company that owned Amaretto DiSaronno decided not to renew Glenmore's contract and paid them $32 million to release the contract a few years early. Glenmore used the money to buy Medley and Fleishmanns.

<A target="_blank" HREF=http://cowdery.home.netcom.com>--Chuck Cowdery</A>

Guest **DONOTDELETE**

That's just great inside information Chuck. Listen up people! You'll never find all of that in any book. Bits and pieces can be found in Sam Cecil's book, but not with that kind of depth or personal presentation. Which is why we need a book from Chuck Cowdery.

Linn Spencer

Have Shotglass. Will Travel.

• 1 month later...
Guest **DONOTDELETE**

Chuck I was re-reading your post and also Mike Veach's post on Glenmore. I also looked up what Sam Cecil had to say about it. Just what happened after U.D.V. bought out Glenmore and took it over? Did they continue to distil? If so how many years/seasons? How long was it until all distilling operations ceased?

Does U.D.V./Diageo still own these properties? I understand that the Yellowstone label was bought by Heaven Hill, and Ezra Brooks by David Sherman. Whatever happened to the Glenmore label?

Linn Spencer

Have Shotglass. Will Travel.

Mike knows best, since he was working for them at the time. I do know that most of the Glenmore properties were sold off to the people you mentioned as well as to Barton. I don't about about the Glenmore brand specifically. It's possible Buddy Thompson retained that personally, as the VanWinkles did with their family name.

<A target="_blank" HREF=http://cowdery.home.netcom.com>--Chuck Cowdery</A>

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.