Good rye for a beginner?

emr454
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

Hi all. I have heard good things on several posts here about rye whiskey. I would like to know which one is good to start with if youre not sure you'll like it. I can get Jim Beam Rye locally, but any others I have not seen. I could probably ask to have some ordered if need be. Any suggestions guys? Thank you.

Eric

I have never tried Jim Beam Rye, but I really like Rittenhouse BIB 100P Rye and Wild Turkey Rye. I would try the Rittenhouse 1st because it is about 1/2 the price of the Wild Turkey.

Old Overholt is not bad...Have you tried a real rye heavy Bourbon yet like ODG 114? Its got some nice bite to it, great flavor and nose.

Eric,

If you are serious about your question, it would be helpful to know where you are at to know what you have accessible in your area.

Rye is a wonderful thing.

Unfortunately, I think it is on the verge of becoming trendy.

The easiest to find right now is Saz Jr (Binny's). It's excellent. Rye's are very varied. No two are going to taste alike.

Good hunting.

I can get Jim Beam Rye locally, but any others I have not seen. I could probably ask to have some ordered if need be.

Eric

That's funny, I have always considered WT rye a bit easier to find, and also the one I would recommend normally. I really like Rittenhouse BIB, but always considered availablilty a problem. I would consider one of these two-as well as the Sazerac as a good place to start for a reasonable price, as they are all a bit higher in proof and tend to display what rye is all about much better.

I think the Rittenhouse Rye is an excellent rye and I think it is much better than the Wild Turkey Rye at half the price. If you got into the $20 range the Sazarac Jr at about $25 is the way to go. If not available in your area Binny's is a good source.

bj

I'm in NY, just a few minutes from Syracuse. There is one store close by that I havent checked out yet. Its called Liqour Square and I think they have really good prices because they are more like a warehouse and buy things in bulk. I know they have Eagle Rare 10yo(not a rye but good from what I've heard) there from looking at the ads in the paper. Being this far away from Kentucky, it seems that most of the good bottlings are hard to find, and/or overpriced.

Eric

Went to the liquor store and had him order me a bottle of Rittenhouse Rye. It'll cost me around $17 once he gets it in, which seems pretty reasonable. Maybe now that the holidays are over I'll have more luck getting what I order.

Eric

Jim Beam Rye, Wild Turkey Rye, Rittenhouse (80 or 100), Old Overholt, Pikesville and even Saz Jr. would all be considered "standard" ryes. Any of those would be a good place to start.

I'm tempted to say that the best rye for a beginner would be Old Grand-Dad or Bulleit, i.e., a high rye bourbon.

Chuck,

I decided to go with the Old Overholt rye since it was the cheapest of all the others that the liquor store could order for me. I havent picked it up yet, but hopefully in the next week or so I'll have the funds to do so. Although I should probably wait a while so I dont have so many open bottles in the cabinet:cool:

It was interesting for me to learn that rye was around before bourbon, and that, in rye's heyday, when you went into a bar and asked for whiskey, rye was what you were going to get.

I've heard conflicting stories about rye as well. I've read that its sweeter than bourbon, but at the same time, most say bourbon is sweeter. Could someone clear this up for me? Thank you.

Eric

There is a difference between is sweeter and tastes sweeter. I'm not sure if bourbon is actually sweeter but it definitely seems sweeter.

.....I've heard conflicting stories about rye as well. I've read that its sweeter than bourbon, but at the same time, most say bourbon is sweeter. Could someone clear this up for me? Thank you.

Eric

I would suspect the confusion might be from many people confusing "Canadian whiskey" with straight rye. Crown R. definatly tastes sweetish to me but in a verry diferent way than a wheated bourbon.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.