Bourbon and Cointreau...

jeff
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

Just playing around tonight. I poured a shot of AAA 10yo over an ice cube and added a splash of Cointreau. At first I wasn't convinced, but as the ice has melted slightly it has become a rather refreshing drink. Are there any popular bourbon drinks that incorporate cointreau? The "bourborita" comes to mind. Any others? Anyone ever tried this?

Sounds like you came up with a "Ridgerunner's Grand Marnier" Jeff :slappin:

Joe :usflag:

According to my cocktail references, curacao and, by extension cointreau, figures in some old versions of the Old-Fashioned.

And the Oriental has survived since the days of the Savoy Cocktail Book:

2 oz rye or bourbon

1/2 oz cointreau

1oz Italian vermouth

1/2 lime

Shake and strain.

-Mike

Cointreau is a proprietary form of curacao. Triple sec is another term for a fine curacao, and despite the name is slightly sweet. So all these are essentially the same thing, except triple sec is always white in color (some curacaos are blue, green, or brown, but always orange-tasting), somewhat stronger than curacao proper, and uses sweet and bitter oranges (curacao uses only the bitter orange); for practical purposes these are of a piece.

Bourbon and orange have a definite affinity. The slice of orange in an Old-Fashioned is an example - so is Southern Comfort, which has an orange inclination, to my taste.

Gary

Are there any popular bourbon drinks that incorporate cointreau?

I occasionally will put a splash of Cointreau or Grand Marnier in a manhattan. A half teaspoon is plenty. It adds a little something extra.

Jeff

Okay, Jeff. I took your advice and added a half teaspoon of Grand Marnier to my Manhattan tonight and couldn't have been more pleased with the result. Melded perfectly with the Noilly Prat, ER 101, and Regan's Orange Bitters. Thanks for the tip. I'll be doing this again.

-Mike

Cointreau (or the other top-shelf triple sec, Luxardo Triplum) also works well in place of maraschino in the Red Hook - or in (gin-based) martinis.

There is a difference between Triplum and Cointreau - Triplum has Sicilian as well as West Indian oranges in its distillate. Cointreau seems more bittersweet, while Triplum seems a bit more floral in character. Both are good additions to your liquor cabinet...

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.